Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    i used these at lower levels to regain mana but i never use it now in 5 man dungeons. i dont like the cast time of smite. when everyone is taking damage i dont have time to use it. and i can see the purpose for leveling but doesn't seem like it should be use as a healer. holy pallys can use judgement and its instant cast. if it was lower cast time it would be viable but in the time i cast it everyone else is taking damage i'm better off not using it.

To be honest it was better before they nerfed the mana you get from 5 stacks, you get like 2500 now. You used to get like 5k, and you use it when your done bubbling everyone. and hopefully your other healers dont suck and can keep people up.
    Wot.

Simples ...
    PW:Shield - BT - Smite
    PoM - PW:Shield - BT - Smite
    Holy Fire - PW:Shield - BT - Smite
    ... you get the idea ...

Its soooooo easy to drop a hasted Smite into any rotation (if you are able to get a rotation, personally its prempting damage with shields and reacting with heals)

Its a Disco Priests any time I near OOM i can smite and restore a bit ... Pots can only be used once, Shadow Fiend has a CD, Hymn has a CD this can be on demand ... and 15% extra heals = sexy timez ...

Remember you dont have to keep the buff up, its a needs must / situation allows kind of thing ...

End of the day its horses for courses ... I'll keep it and run with it until i find i need the other talents that i have sacrificed for it. OP if you cant see or find a use for it then no worries dont spec it

Exactly, You'd be downsy not to take that. especially when you crit for like 12 smites in raids. and it usually hits the tank or melee. the 15% buff from healing makes everything so much easier too,

Glyph of Power Word: Barrier heals for for 20% of the bubble
    which is pretty good with the 15% makes it almost 3k for me. and with a 1 sec CD
    and 8k absorption Seems like its pretty legit.
    Wot.

I'm curious to see how it pans out at 85, with the new values. There's still two fundamental problems I see in a raid environment where healing is assigned and you're on the tank due to atonement being prone to slipping to melee or possibly missing altogether if the tank is beyond the (too short) range.

First, this creates on overall inefficiency of mana by increasing the risk of net overheal in tandem with other healers who'd been casting a heal on the target your atonement healed.

Second, HPM you gain after taking AA return into account might still be lost by slipped/oor heals requiring you to use one or two much more expensive heals to level out the tank who went heal-less for that period.

Imo, for atonement to make up for these shortcomings it actually needs to provide slightly higher HPS and HPM than heal, not just being a the same or a little less. The healing boost from AA isn't enough to make up for the lack of control smiting places on your healing (not to mention the dependency on presence of select raid buffs/debuffs to increase your smite dps).

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the cast time of Smite will become shorter when, at level 80, you have more haste and it will heal more when you have more spell power.. So I believe that point is irrelevant. Especially in randoms, much of my healing is smite spamming.

Actual cast time of smite is decreased less for smite than for heal as you accumulate haste (though % decrease in time is the same), so that won't help, though if the coefficient is actually what was changed then smite will scale better with spellpower. But the points I made are still relevant, as a heal (or heals in succession) that doesn't land on a key target for whom you'd prefer still can require a 'premium' heal that costs much more mana in order to recover. The main area this is a real issue is in raids, not 5-mans, where the additional concern of coordinating healing to avoid wasted mana / overheal is made more difficult by the uncontrolled nature of atonement.

#showtooltip
    /cast [nomod,harm][nomod,@targettarget,harm][nomod,@focustarget,harm]Smite
    /cast [mod:ctrl]archangel

not much else to add beyond what others have said.
    i used to dps while healing all the time, but i preferred mind sear, swp dotting, & holyfire&mindblasting (& i LOVE using shackle as a spell-interrupt, oldkingdom anybody?). now blizzard's prodding discs to dps, but not the way i liked to do it =p however, now i can heal heroics even nakeder than before (2kgsish), and without ninja-drinking to avoid slowing down the group. it works, but i wouldn't call it all that fun =pPp

edit: had evangelism instead of archangel derp
    Last edited by fung; 2010-12-03 at 07:05 PM.

Evangelism is a passive talent. The /cast [mod:ctrl]evangelism line does absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    Evangelism is a passive talent. The /cast [mod:ctrl]evangelism line does absolutely nothing.
    you're right, i'm writing it from memory, that was supposed to be archangel

i'm bad at mixing up spellnames =p

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, doesn't seem worth it for Disc priests. You'll be healing in raids not dealing DPS, even if Smite does heal, its still not a good enough heal.

no but the 15% heal is alot. and the regen helps.
    Wot.

Quote Originally Posted by Priestai View Post
    no but the 15% heal is alot. and the regen helps.
    The regen is very minimal now, and again the first time you have to throw an extra GH or FH because your atonement didn't land where you'd prefer and the tank requires a bigger boost as a result, you've lost it and perhaps more. The 15% to healing is very nice -- but again, you're sacrificing control and continuity and allowing more effective spikiness of damage as well as throughput - and you can't always coincide the two to meet. For the record, I love the idea of atonement healing. It's just the completely unreliable delivery that breaks it (as it stands today) for me.

Deleted
    I'll always take Archangel and Evangelism, just because Mana will be an issue, so if you can get 5% mana returned and in addition to that get 15% on your healing spells, that's total bonus, plus throwing a smite on the boss when I have the time to, help other healers.

I'll still use it.

My smite in 232/245 gear is hitting for 4.5-5k, and critting around 8k. in 5 mans, with glyph of Holy fire, power infusion and trinkets my smites hit for about 6k and crit for around 10k, i pull about 4.5k dps on bosses lol, and have no need to stop to heal as my damage is just destroying the Mobs and overhealing any possible damage the Bosses do.

Thats an 8k heal for about 1/5 the cost of flash heal, and on a 1.2 sec cast.
    it also procs divine aegis on a crit. and then gives you archangel which increase healing by 15% and gives you mana back.

How is this useless at all, are you somehow too mentally challenged to comprehend simple math?
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Archangel is awesome it gives 15% healing buff, stack it with 30% buff in icc 40% in Divine aegis with mastery and it actualy will give you then 15% healing in your output. Also it gives mana back. You can use it every single encounter but for example during sindra there is time to smite blocks in in LK HC in transaction phases you can also get smite every 10 sec, so there is always a time to smite. Not sure how it will be in Cata but there is always a "break" phase.

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    My smite in 232/245 gear is hitting for 4.5-5k, and critting around 8k. in 5 mans, with glyph of Holy fire, power infusion and trinkets my smites hit for about 6k and crit for around 10k, i pull about 4.5k dps on bosses lol, and have no need to stop to heal as my damage is just destroying the Mobs and overhealing any possible damage the Bosses do.

Thats an 8k heal for about 1/5 the cost of flash heal, and on a 1.2 sec cast.
    it also procs divine aegis on a crit. and then gives you archangel which increase healing by 15% and gives you mana back.

How is this useless at all, are you somehow too mentally challenged to comprehend simple math?
    Well, clearly you're talking about level 80, which is a non-issue. Add to that the fact that you're speaking of heroic 5-mans, which are were designed to offer challenge to people in 200 level blues (or 226'ish epics for the ICC 5-mans), so you outgear them pretty substantially (as will the vast majority of tanks, meaning they take far less damage and have larger relativve health pools, and dps meaning fights last longer so there's less time for the tank's health to actually dip). In Cata it will all be new again, and you won't outgear the 'current' tier of content, so to be frank the experience you're citing regarding the ease of healing as atonement spec is inapplicable.

On a side note, using holy fire and its glyph to boost the damage and therefore potential healing of smite/atonement willl leave gaps of no healing when you cast it, and the cost of holy fire in combination with that of the 5 smites will likely (I haven't done the math for 85) eat up all of archangel's mana return. That's not even taking into account the fact that you'll miss about 17% of your holy fire casts since the divine accuracy glyph only caps smite. Also, it will be a long, long time in cata before your smites are at 1.2 seconds, and even then atonement doesn't benefit from grace, and does not measure up to heal (which is that to which atonement should be compared -- not flash heal).

Atonement healing with archangel for a cd and mana regen tool is a great idea, but the design of it is ineffective. It's still inefficient in a raid environment compared to heal, and is far too undependable for healing given range limitations versus target box and it's 'smart' targeting.

I like evangelism. When I am by myself it heals me... or in a party with others it does its job and its random. Its quite nice to be able to do a little DPS and be able to heal a little, too. But that's me....

.|[Yes, I make signatures]|.

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea that it might land on the wrong target causing you to drop a more expensive heal on the tank seems to be missing when you'd be smiting. You aren't going to be casting smite when the tank is taking burst damage, hell you're probably not going to be casting Heal when the tank's taking burst damage, because you need to top the tank up pronto. Also the "it's not healing the tank" idea assumes you're tank healing, which you probably won't be doing, as Pallies, Druids and Shamans can do it pretty much as well if not totally better than you can.

Once you start thinking about it from a raid healer point of view it starts to get more interesting. While you're tank healing you pretty much need everything you cast to land on the tank, but in raid healing you need it to land on someone that's injured. Now, obviously if someone needs to be healed you should cast a directed heal on them, but if there's not a whole lot of raid damage going on and no one's particularly threatened by anything casting a few smites plus one every 15-20 seconds to keep a stack going is far less of a concern. The resulting heal is also going to land on someone who would need a heal cast on them sooner or later, so you're not going to get a wasted cast as a raid healer.

Also, for the current content, you really don't need the added survivability as long as you can avoid standing in fire and you out gear everything so badly that you should have lulls in every fight except maybe bubble duty on LK, and even then you could probably afford a smite here and there, at least in normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe for shadow spec but disc spec its shit