shammy, mage, lock, or hunter

So Iv been tanking on my main since vanilla on all my classes that can tank. I decided on going range dps for my main in cata cuz its a change for me to just focus on one toon that isnt heals or tank for a change. I cant ecide which range dps i want to be though. 80 shammy pr mage. 75 lock or my 24 hunter. what do u guys think? which one overall is the most fun pvp and pve wise. I want to do more pvp this expansion. its fun on a shammy but back in bc days i raped people with the mage. Locks just seem cool to me and i just made my hunter for the first time and they r pretty fun. mite as well be a hero class for me because after 6 years of owning wow i just now made one.

Honestly, just pick whatever YOU find to be the most fun, no matter what anyone suggests, the next post is going to be someone qq'ing about that class. Personally, I don't enjoy mages, and I don't like the aspect of keeping track of all the dots that locks uses, some people do enjoy those aspects though. It all comes down to personal taste. I'm personally maining a hunter in Cata, plenty of people complain that focus sucks, and hunter pvp is broken blah blah blah. I enjoy the class, so that's what I'm playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played all the range classes, and personally I prefer the Shaman over all those you mentioned.

Reasons:
    -Mail Armor
    -Shield
    -Able to Heal as well as damage
    -Totem buffs
    -Shocks (Earth, Fire, Wind, Frost)
    -Ghost Form
    -No pets
    -Bloodlust/heroism

You may prefer those other classes for other reasons though. Unstable Affliction and Haunt are awesome Warlock spells. Blink and teleport are my favorite mage abilities (plus they have a spell like Bloodlust). I personally hate Hunters, so I have nothing positive to say about them.

I'd also put Shadow Priest up there as well. They're a pretty fun class. Mind Control is a very cool ability.

If you only want to range dps. go with Mage or Warlock. They're the only classes where when I leveled from 1-80 and everytime I got a new skill I would go wow this is really awesome. they are also very good in pvp and pve without much effort.

Deleted
    Shaman: elemental is the true dynamic hybrid spec of the game. Gives out competitive sustained damage (especially post patch 4.0). It also has superb burst damage (especially if people ignore you in pvp - which they often do). Realise that in many situations people may ask you to step up and offheal, which you should be totally comfortable with (shamans are not balance druids). Enhancement is pure fun but, despite its "rotation" is basically just a one-trick pony (Wolves), especially in pvp. Can be incredible healers, especially on stacked groups or pvp. Apart from holy priest, resto shaman is easily the most interesting healer spec for me.

Mage: you'll never have more fun in pvp as any other class period, except possibly warrior (arms/prot)! Their CC is sick (they are literally the kings of CC), their burst and sustained damage is just evil in pve or pvp. In Cata, they gained even more defensive tools which combined with their other tools makes them virtually unkillable 1v1 and bring incredible group utility in pvp (if you chose to play that way). You'll never bored with three diverse specs. More diverse than even hunter specs.

Lock: demo and destro (with good gear for latter) seem to be impressive in pvp. As demo, with Hand of Gul'dan (& stun talent) + Metamorphosis + Felguard, you are as unkillable as a tank, have the CC of a tank, your pet hits harder than hunter pet ever could and you can defend enclosed spaces or take down flag carriers while shrugging off the entire enemy trying to focus you down. In otherwords, with CDs up and a specific objective, demo = godly. This is not even mentioning the aoe+stuns of Infernal or the now useful Hellfire (rogues/ferals looking at you!). Post patch 4.0, Destro + talented imp seems to hurt a LOT more than I ever remember and combined with Shadowfury stuns and self-heals from Soul Leech and Netherward/protection vs other casters you survive a lot longer too. Affliction, which I loved as pve, is less present in pvp.

Hunter: I love my hunter. While they start great at low levels in pve or pvp, they get progressively outgunned, outranged, and outsurvived the higher you get as others gain their (new) spells. It's quite frustrating actually since I love all the playstyles. From BM's pet buffing and focus regen for arcane spam+Kill Command/Kill Shot to MM's utility+self healing+sustained damage to SV's ability to easily and repeatedly lockdown opponents and "burst" them. I think the right word is frustrating. You will really want to keep playing this class to the endgame and beyond but either class balancing and what feels like gaping holes in survivability and focus regen may make that all but impossible, especially as an alt. Maybe speak to a few level 85 hunters on beta? Try Hunter forums possibly?
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2010-12-02 at 04:53 PM.

Having Played a Mage since Vanilla, I have recently switched to playing an Ele Shaman and love it. Shamans are way more versatile than a Mage, and so far I have been able to do comparable DPS. I say play a Shaman, but ultimately play whatever is the most fun for you.

Deleted
    "What class should I choose?" Threads are not allowed.
    Locked.