Thread: Archaeology

Deleted

Archaeology

A question for those of you who were lucky enough to be in the Beta.

With Archaeology do you have to start in level 1 areas ie Elwyn Forrest to skill up or can you skill up like fishing any pool but you just get crap[ until you are the appropriate level.

Here's how it worked for me in Beta. depending on your level and the level of your archaeoloy, you will see 4 dig-sites on your map. When you go to one of them you use survey until the green light is blinking and you can unearth the artifact. Taking the artifact piece gives you a skill up. Each time takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes depending on how good you get with surveying and figuring out how to work it.
    So essentially, you can get 3 skill ups for each dig site.
    After you gather anywhere from 20-40 pieces of the artifact you can "solve" it. sometimes its something cool, but most times its just a white named item that goes along with lore.
    skill levels 1-300 are in old world zones and don't really give you much.

Its tedious but fun and some of the rewards look amazing later on!

In addition to what Aviendha said - you will be able to see and survey each of the 4 dig sites that are specific to your character (no sharing) but you will not be able to solve ones that are outside your skill range. You will not see the artifact pieces in the UI but they are there and will become available when you are of appropriate level/skill level.

Solving the artifact also gains you a large amount of skill points so it pays to survey in zones appropriate to your level.

A bit more from Blizzard:

You only find sites in zones of your level or lower. A level 25 character will have all 4 sites per continent in level 25 zones. This means that no dig sites will appear for that character in Outland or Northrend until he reaches a minimum level for the zones.

For instance, a low level character on Kalimdor might have sites in Ashenvale and Stonetalon, where a level 82 might have ones in Uldum, Ashenvale, Stonetalon, and Silithus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Deleted
    Many Thanks guys

One thing I found while doing archaeology in the beta was that discovering artifact pieces only gave skill ups until level 100. After that, it was 5 points per solved artifact. I didn't play for the last month or so of the beta so this may have changed. If not, I would recommend not solving an artifact until after you reach 100.