Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to get into PvP?

Hi everyone!

I have played WoW for some time, however I mostly focused on the PvE side of the game. Now I rerolled on a PvP server (mid 40ies currently) and get my ass kicked pretty hard in Open World PvP .

I would really like to get into PvP, but I am not sure what would be the best way to do so.

1. Can you recommend me some Beginner's reading on PvP strategies and tactics?

2. Where should I first try out and get better? Open World? BGs? Arenas? Other options?

I'd really appreciate some hints

Quote Originally Posted by munzwurf View Post
    Hi everyone!

I have played WoW for some time, however I mostly focused on the PvE side of the game. Now I rerolled on a PvP server (mid 40ies currently) and get my ass kicked pretty hard in Open World PvP .

I would really like to get into PvP, but I am not sure what would be the best way to do so.

1. Can you recommend me some Beginner's reading on PvP strategies and tactics?

2. Where should I first try out and get better? Open World? BGs? Arenas? Other options?

I'd really appreciate some hints
    It depends on what class you are. I would go over to arenajunkies.com and check out some posts there concerning your class. Those guys really know the ins and outs of their class and you can learn a lot from that site.

As far as getting better just duel a lot (the game isn't balanced around 1v1 but this will give you a lot of insight into other how other classes work and how they counter you), and do your battlegrounds.

Hope this helps some.

10+ Year Old Account
    cap a toon and server transferr, go and rape low levels

The third link from the top left of this website has excellent reading when it comes to improving in arena. Biggest thing for me is keybinding and learning other classes abilities and how to counter them.

POSITIONING.

Don't ban me bro, it's a link on this site!

If you are just starting out with PVP there is 2 things you can do to improve quickly, and at the same time become very good.

1. Keybind your skills and BG BG BG until you know them like the back of your hand.

2.Duel Duel Duel, the more you duel the faster you will realize what certain classes will try to do against you. The further you can think about what they are going to do the faster you can end the fight. Its almost like a game of chess

Quote Originally Posted by XxKALDORExX View Post
    If you are just starting out with PVP there is 2 things you can do to improve quickly, and at the same time become very good.

1. Keybind your skills and BG BG BG until you know them like the back of your hand.

2.Duel Duel Duel, the more you duel the faster you will realize what certain classes will try to do against you. The further you can think about what they are going to do the faster you can end the fight. Its almost like a game of chess
    QFT. Just play, read and ask questions when you lose.

Edit: Ask questions when you win too

Quote Originally Posted by RichL View Post
    QFT. Just play, read and ask questions when you lose.

Edit: Ask questions when you win too
    ya ask the idiot you just beat what you can do better

Quote Originally Posted by XxKALDORExX View Post
    ya ask the idiot you just beat what you can do better
    Well, to elaborate, you need to ask yourself questions when you win. Contemplate whether what you did was something strategic and useful in the future or if you just shit on a PvE tard. Replaying back win or lose is something that will definitely improve your skill level. I knowz from experience!

befriend some of the good players on your server and possibly start playing with their alts.
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

1. Keybind every single skill. And do it while you level.
    2. Don't try to rush a new toon to 80/85. Take your time and world pvp as much as you can. Don't be a bitch and gank somebody who's in the middle of the quest. Let them finish, maybe get some health/mana back, then attack. Treat it like a duel with the chance of you dying and having to run back.
    3. Look up all your skills before you even start leveling.
    4. Read how to pvp on that character before you even start leveling it. Get addons that makes information condensed and gives you the ability to see when the other player casts certain spells much easier.
    5. When questing, get used to using every single skill and CD. Sure, you can mindlessly button mash your way to max level, but why do that? Treat every npc like a braindead pvp player. Interrupt as many skills as possible, cc even though you didn't really need to cc. Try to take as little damage as possible. This will hone your skills to do this against an actual player.
    6. BG a ton while leveling.
    7. Duel a ton while leveling.
    8. This is the most important thing to know. Never get discouraged. Take away knowledge from every defeat. If somebody completely whooped you in pvp, try to think what you could have done differently, and next time you're in a similar situation do it. Even the absolute best pvpers in the world don't win every single time. There is always room for improvement.

Deleted
    Get PvP gear, play countless of duels to get to know how to play against each class, play arena. One thing that would get you into a PvP a little faster would be if you have all classes at 85 and try to duel with each class to learn their strong and weak points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamion View Post
    Get PvP gear, play countless of duels to get to know how to play against each class, play arena. One thing that would get you into a PvP a little faster would be if you have all classes at 85 and try to duel with each class to learn their strong and weak points.
    This, there was a druid on my previous server who was all about PvE but all of a sudden he decided to start with PvP instead, so he quit the guild and kept duelling people outside IF/SW until he knew everything about everything ^^ Then he came in contact with some of the best pvpers on the server and got into a sick arena team, kept being a top pvper ever since Soo, yeah. Gogo duels 'til you bleed!

Checking up some of the macros they've got on arenajunkies might help a bit, especially in arena
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Deleted
    Hm... JUst wanted to run something by you alds, and see if it's normal. I've tried PvPing on two of my completely PvE characters (Frost mage and feral druid) and even though I have 0 resilence (yes, 0) I can easily kill classes in relentless/wrathfull gear. We've tried the same on my firends warlock (destro PvE specc) and a my PvP paladin (used 100% PvE gear). It was always the same. DOes that mean I can compeltely ignore PvP gear for BG purposes (non-rated, I've gone the completely "fun only" way of the game). Or does the PvP gear only makes it better?

ALl the chars have about 6,2-6,5k GS (dunno for sure, don't have the addon)

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon the Conqueror View Post
    Hm... JUst wanted to run something by you alds, and see if it's normal. I've tried PvPing on two of my completely PvE characters (Frost mage and feral druid) and even though I have 0 resilence (yes, 0) I can easily kill classes in relentless/wrathfull gear. We've tried the same on my firends warlock (destro PvE specc) and a my PvP paladin (used 100% PvE gear). It was always the same. DOes that mean I can compeltely ignore PvP gear for BG purposes (non-rated, I've gone the completely "fun only" way of the game). Or does the PvP gear only makes it better?

ALl the chars have about 6,2-6,5k GS (dunno for sure, don't have the addon)
    Bahahahhhahahah.

Sorry had to get that out there.

Mages + Feral druids are so OP right now at level 80 it isnt even funny. Mages can ice lance ppl to death and feral druids can bleed you to death without even trying. Bleeds ticking for 5k is not very fair and balanced at the moment.

Any other class will need resil to stand a fighting chance. Depending on who you are up against, resil might not matter as much for a mage right now. Druids may need a bit to tank while their bleeds tick.

thanks a lot for the advice so far guys

I'll check out those links.

One really important question I have, since I cannot get my head around it: I play Feral druid, so in order to heal in sayd duels I have to pop out of cat form. Is that ok? What's the best healing ability to use and when (in terms of timing) should I use it?

well lower lvl bg's are pretty good at learning pvp since a lot of players aren't very good. when you hit 80 you'll see a huge difference in skilled pvper's. i pwnd on my rogue(rarely played alt and i'm not nearly as good on him as my mage) in low lvl bg's, even lvl 70 BG's i was consistently one of the top killing rogues where i felt op'd, but when i got to 80 the skill of a lot of other long time rogues made me pathetcially average(altho my gear sucked too vs them at that point). so i'd say just que some BG's until you hit 80 and gradually learn your class in pvp.

dueling would be the quickest way but dueling has a lot of epeen involved, people talk trash, and if you're new to pvp you have to have some very thick skin with all of the aholes out there to duel.

I would try to start BG'ing as much as you can early in an expansion, so that you can be reasonably competitive without lagging so much in terms of gear. Try to farm a good amount of entry-level resilience gear, then try to get involved in more competitive stuff like the rated BG's and Arenas. That would be way less frustrating than coming in mid-stream and have to deal with constantly getting rotflstomped by people in later season gear.

thanks a lot for the advice so far guys

I'll check out those links.

One really important question I have, since I cannot get my head around it: I play Feral druid, so in order to heal in sayd duels I have to pop out of cat form. Is that ok? What's the best healing ability to use and when (in terms of timing) should I use it?
    Cyclone > Rejuv > Lifebloom >Cyclone > stealth (if you can) and then start again. I don't have an 80 druid but that's what i'd do.

If it's melee you can root them. Maybe they'll pop a trinket or something.

You will typically see people stun, run out, then shift and HoT up, then shift back. Or shift and root/cycle first. Basically you want to avoid being hit while you're healing up if at all possible.

Deleted
    Lvl ur char up in battlegrounds train alot and alot and even more. Then once your 85 get a razer nagamouse get used to it make macro's get a imba partner. and take your shot @ arena and see how good u are in a rated surounding.