Deleted

FFB VS Fireball in Cata dungeons

So I've yet to decide what spec i'll be for cata dungeons. After watching most of "Totalbiscuit's" videos on you tube i think i might be fire for dungeons just due to the amount of AOE on the move you can do. Anyways, I notice in his vids he's mainly using Frost Fire Bolt again. Once I hit 81 and my crit starts scaling down again, would this be optimal with the glyph over the glyph of fire ball? I'm not a theory crafter but looking at both glyphs it's hard to decide. My mage isn't in crazy gear and I was testing both glyphs today as fire spec on the 80 dummy but with little results in difference.

Anyways, you're thoughts are appreciated!

Considering glyphed you get dots from both, it is almost silly not to use them. And with the mobs being so much stronger in the cata dungeons, having a guaranteed slow if the tank loses aggro... Probably a solid option to use FFB.

Im taking my mage fire for the first time in a long time for cata and it looks really fun.

According to some tests done on EJ, FFB is only comparable to fireball at upwards of 200 or 300% DoT damage from mastery, which is unachievable in the first raid tier (Dont remember the exact. percent).
    If I remember correctly, it is the 5% crit on Fireball vs. ~170 dps from the dot (at reasonable mastery levels), and in a world with reduced ratings, the 5% crit comes on top.

Deleted
    ic. Well that makes sense on what's better in that regard. I guess maybe that's the only reason he was using FFB then? For the slow? I'm not sure as he seems to only group with competent people. As for me, I'll be leveling frost so I guess i'll stick with Fire Ball for my instances thanks for the replies all.

I wouldn't advise doing something just cause TB does it. I'm not meaning to knock him, he's a funny guy and I enjoy watching his videos but he's not as good at the game as he thinks. If you watched his guide to mages I'm sure you would have noticed this.

Fireball..

/Close thread.

FFB dot ticks for 250 @ 3 stacks and hits for the same as FB. With Such low crit ratings (around 20% Fully reforged (Epics 359 Gear)) in blue gear that the Glyph of FB is a Must there is no question about it. The 3 main Glyphs are FB - Pyro - and with Mage or Molten armor.

Edit: Actually blizzard has Stated FFB Glyph wont be viable until later tiers in cata.
    Last edited by fhate; 2010-12-02 at 08:02 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can you give a source for Blizzard stating FFB won't be viable until later?

Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
    Can you give a source for Blizzard stating FFB won't be viable until later?
    i forgot where i saw it but in beta FFB glyphed was doing more damage at the start of the beta and i remember reading that blizzard said this was not an intended feature. as it was hitting harder. In the later tiers were we have more mastery and crit to make up for the lack of the 5% crit glyph of FB, FFB will hit the same as FB but mastery ratings will be higher and thus more dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given how nerfed crit is to begin with at 85, FFB is fairly close in damage by some sims. That said, I'd read this post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...7482982?page=1 for more info and to figure out your min-maxing.