Thread: SSD drives?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Don't have updates folder, keep clearing it after every major patch. Current game client just is nearly 26GB which is already half of the 60GB SSD.
    I deleted my beta the other day, and mine is 24,6 GB.
    Including several addon-copies saved just in case.
    Check Data\Cache? Or are they not smart to remove?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    I deleted my beta the other day, and mine is 24,6 GB.
    Including several addon-copies saved just in case.
    Check Data\Cache? Or are they not smart to remove?
    Deleting Cache and Data\Cache won't save you any space, as they'll simply re-create when you log in next.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Deleting Cache and Data\Cache won't save you any space, as they'll simply re-create when you log in next.
    I just tried, and when I deleted it, it was 8,4GB - when it was re-created, it has 15,5 MB size, hmm. Ohwell, I'm sure it'll re-create.
    edit; But, I guess, once you discover new areas, who'll download it back down, so it's a moot suggestion ^^

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    I just tried, and when I deleted it, it was 8,4GB - when it was re-created, it has 15,5 MB size, hmm. Ohwell, I'm sure it'll re-create.
    edit; But, I guess, once you discover new areas, who'll download it back down, so it's a moot suggestion ^^
    Yes, it will be small at first, but once you get items, etc back into the cache, it'll be just as large as it was when you deleted it.

I use a 128GB SSD and have never been happier. This thing is incredibly fast. I have Windows and all other programs loaded onto the SSD and all other files go onto two 500gig regular drives. This seems to be a good setup. Windows loads very quickly and I'm in game within 20 seconds of hitting the power button.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanno View Post
    Windows loads very quickly and I'm in game within 20 seconds of hitting the power button.
    20 seconds? I'm calling shenanigans here, takes at least 20-30 seconds for windows to open for me, and yes, I'm using SSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I have a black belt in common sense compared to your white.

I guess he meant 20 seconds without counting the initial startup, loading Bios and all that. With my Crucial C300 it takes about 30 seconds from pushing the power button to get into Windows with everything loaded and ready. And thats with the Marvell controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taistelumestari Viiksi View Post
    20 seconds? I'm calling shenanigans here, takes at least 20-30 seconds for windows to open for me, and yes, I'm using SSD.
    Hell it takes my 1tb 7200 rpm about 30 - 40 sec to boot through bios and load into windows.
    Then again I'm running Server 2008 R2 in workstation mode.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    My comp probably takes a minute or so to fully boot. But I reboot it maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks...

I think my offices domain controller wins though. It takes a solid 13 minutes to reboot. (Old P4 Xeon, crappy RAID controller card, slow Dell BIOS, broken tape drive that it tries to mount for like 5 minutes, and the fact that it runs Active Directory all factor into it). xD
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    My comp probably takes a minute or so to fully boot. But I reboot it maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks...

I think my offices domain controller wins though. It takes a solid 13 minutes to reboot. (Old P4 Xeon, crappy RAID controller card, slow Dell BIOS, broken tape drive that it tries to mount for like 5 minutes, and the fact that it runs Active Directory all factor into it). xD
    My parents are still using a Pentium II at home. Admittedly they only use it for an hour or so a week, but about 2/3 of that hour is spent either loading it up (it took about 25 minutes to startup last time I was there using it), or waiting for programs to respond. I think when I build my PC in the next couple of weeks I'll give them my old Dell for Xmas. That's also a hunk of junk but they'll probably think it's some sort of super computer.

On topic - SSD's are a luxury. Modern hard drives work fast enough with quadruple the space and for a quarter of the price. You should only buy an SSD if you're really hardcore, or really rich, as the lower size ones (60gb and below) are a waste of time.
    Last edited by mmoc8b94a8a2c2; 2010-12-03 at 06:21 PM.

Little amendment to my previous statement. I turned off hibernation support and forced Windows swap file to 1024MB fixed size instead of letting it use 4GB it wants to. Now there's 8.5GB free in the 60GB SSD (with Win7+Office2010+WoW+some other crap installed) and updater works again normally.

60GB is not hopelessly small, just risky, and might be too small when next expansion comes.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

an ssd would be nice but im gonna wait on a price drop for the larger size drives.

Deleted
    Regarding boot up times, since I built my new rig, with the OS on an SSD, I see ~10 seconds to load the BIOS (and stare at the boot menu) + <20 seconds to load Windows 7. I have no issues logging in to WoW in under a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Taistelumestari Viiksi View Post
    Not all SSD are created equal; some brands are considerably faster than others.

To the OP: yes, SSD's are awesome. Don't go smaller than 120 though. I have a 64gb one and am pinched hard for space.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy View Post
    Not all SSD are created equal; some brands are considerably faster than others.
    Yes, but 20 seconds from pressing the power button to being in game is still an exaggeration.

10+ Year Old Account
    I recall reading, while researching SSD, that their long-term performance degenerates due to (edit: OK I have no idea but just checked Wikipedia and it's not about defragmentation). The general idea was that some aspect of their performance benefit decays over prolonged use, versus HDDs.

Is there any accuracy to that?
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2010-12-04 at 12:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Yes, but 20 seconds from pressing the power button to being in game is still an exaggeration.
    i could see 20sec from power button to in game and everything loaded if they were using suspend to ram
    but that wouldn't really be a cold boot

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    I recall reading, while researching SSD, that their long-term performance degenerates due to (edit: OK I have no idea but just checked Wikipedia and it's not about defragmentation). The general idea was that some aspect of their performance benefit decays over prolonged use, versus HDDs.

Empty block gets written to with file data. File gets erased, block still has data in it. Drive tries to overwrite block, has to erase first, then write.

Basically, over time the write speeds drop. Fortunately, newer drives support commands to flush those blocks (I believe it just does it when idle) called TRIM.

Someone feel free to correct me/flesh out what I wrote
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post

What you're describing was an issue with early SSD's, it's been refined and dealt with for the most part.
    Write speed does degrade slightly over time, but write speeds aren't the point of SSD's - it's the READ speeds that give it the insane performance over HDD's, and read speeds basically don't decay.
    The best part is that if you feel your SSD is beginning to perform sluggishly after a few years of use (a sluggish SSD, does that even make sense?), the TRIM command (now built-in to Windows 7), lets you do a complete wipe and restore it to near-brand-new performance once again.
    There are a couple of software tools that come with SSD's nowadays that ensure data is written in an efficient manner so the performance stays at it's best...TRIM is one of those tools.

The only real downside left to an SSD is.......the cost =/
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2010-12-04 at 03:04 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, thank you both very much for clarifying that and making it so simple. I get it now.

I'm building a new system right now and was on the fence about whether to go SSD. This thread has pretty much settled it. Thanks, techies and OP!