10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Shaolin Soccer.

Watched it on a break between aircraft at work. 11/10 for being so over the top ridiculous. Its one of those movies that's so bad that its good, you know?
    Yeah that was totally its intention. Stephen Chow is an amazing Director, I definitely recommend Kung Fu hustle next. It delivers even more on the "over the top" factor.

Anyway, saw Fifth Element again last night. Always a good movie. Fuckin love Gary Oldman. 8.5/10
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Desolation of Smaug - 9/10

Them scenes with Bilbo and Smaug <3

Old Boy (2013) - 9/10

Loved this movie was skeptical on it cause i heard it was a Japanese remake which i haven't seen but wow did the ending of this film completely surprise me if you like action films this is a must watch.....Samuel Jackson had a epic cameo.

The Monuments Men

4/10

The whole movie was just a waste of good talent. I'm still confused over why they chose to give this movie a comedic tone, cause it didn't work at all....

Lego Movie - 5/10

Wasn't as good as I was led to believe.

The last year has felt kind of weak in regard to movies. There have been some decent popcorn flicks. I, guess, in regard to more "serious" in tone films, I would have to say Prisoners and the Wolf of Wall Street were both 8.5/10.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree, 2013 was definitely a very strong movie year.

gravity 5/10 not worth your money, to many basic physics errors, horrible plot, cliches everywhere and "wtf no diaper"?

RoboCop 7/10

Less of a "remake" imo, "reboot" would be more appropriate as it's a different take on the story...either way awesome fun. My skepticism was mostly unfounded within the first 20 minutes or so. Obviously it doesn't carry the satirical messages that Verhoeven's did, this was definitely a pure action flick. Pretty good special effects, the robo "suit" looked awesome, thoroughly enjoyable and I can't wait for an unrated bluray.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    RoboCop 7/10 was better than I figured it would be. I think too many people are comparing it to the first series which in all honesty anymore people should just forget the title and watch it for what it is on it's own.

Deleted
    Captain Phillips

9/10

Pretty exciting movie. Tom Hanks plays really well and the story is very touching. I would recommend this to anyone!

Disney's Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Numbers Roundup
    3/10
    My son makes me watch these...the first few were ok to watch but after the 20th time everyday I want to hang myself with my Ethernet cable. The only reason this gets a 3/10 is only because Daisy Duck is oddly attractive :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Frozen

9/10

I'm a suck up for Disney 3D animated movies. Really enjoyed the music and the plot actually surprised me. Animations were as usual insanely well done.

The Legend of Hercules.

Wow. WOW. That was... so... so bad. I'm 95% sure it gave me a brain tumor. I'm someone who always tries to find something good in a movie, a silver lining, no matter how bad the movie is but The Legend of Hercules just blew me away. I think it is safe to say that it is one of the worst 5 movies in human history (and quite possibly future). There is not a single thing good about it. The plot is laughable, the lines are cheesy and cliche, the acting is just plain bad... and animations are, well, I think WoW, when it first came out in 2004 looked 10 times better.

1/10, and I'm being very generous.

Thor Dark World, not bad, but a bit thread-bare. 7.5/10

Gravity. I didn't believe all the hype. How wrong I was. 10/10.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Gravity 5/10

Holy shit does it not live up to the hype. It was a pretty movie but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Gravity 5/10

Holy shit does it not live up to the hype. It was a pretty movie but that's about it.
    Yeah I don't get all the hype for the film either. It wasn't badddd per se, but....yeah.

Taking a break from school recently I've been seeing movies more frequently and because I had seen a couple of the 2014 Academy Awards candidates I decided it would be fun to see them all since I enjoy movies and had never seen every candidate in a given year. Here is my personal list in 3 tiers:

1st Place:
    Dallas Buyers Club (10/10) - Phenomenal movie. I loved the character progression throughout the entire movie. I think Matthew McConaughey (or DiCaprio) will win hands down this year or at least I hope they do. Besides being a parallel of real events and the struggle with some other subject matter in the film,I had a blast watching the whole thing and I would highly recommend seeing it.

Her (9/10) - Besides the fact that computers and computer related jobs are getting professionally more and more integrated into our daily routines as well as loving tech in general I thought the idea was thoroughly fun to watch. Very interesting idea and I loved watching the first half more so than the second but I really liked this one too. There were however a couple outside the box scenes I wasnt expecting but in hindsite it just added some flavor. I didnt like the ending however as I had another idea where it was going and I wasnt even close.

Philomena (9/10) - Saw this one with my parents as my mother really wanted to see it and I loved it! Fascinating story based on a true one. Some elements of the movie were a bit eye opening when it comes to dated Catholic practices.

The Wolf of Wall Street (10/10) - Saw this one twice, each time with a female buddy. They fucking hated it and I loved every second of this movie. Just nonstop chaos and I think DiCaprio is an absolute blast to watch in this movie. Alot of subjection of women, sex and drugs. I feel like you'll either hate it or love it.

2nd Place:
    12 Years a Slave (8/10) - Another great movie and its difficult to watch for some because of the subject matter. Based on a true story, it's a fascinating one but may be difficult for some to swallow. Incredible performances by all those involved, I wanted a bit more out of the ending.

Nebraska (8/10) - Loved the style of this movie. A bit slower paced but a cute story and message that I enjoyed.

3rd Place:
    American Hustle (7/10) - Good movie though after some of the hype I thought it was going to be mind blowing. I thought the story progression was really slow but the cast had a pretty outstanding performance and I like how it played out.

Captain Phillips (7/10) - Suspensful movie and I thought it was well done with a nice performance by the two leading men,however I dont think it should be in the running personally.

Gravity (7/10) - Another movie that I thought was over hyped. Aesthetically it's a pretty incredible movie with awesome special effects. Well worth the watch in 3d for sure. There were a couple physics related problems that I thought were silly after watching the movie and after talking with my sister (an astrophysicist ) and looking online at the discussion of the movie with some reps from Nasa and the scientific community they were confirmed. Fun to watch though!

Besides those I saw:

Frozen (10/10) Saw this movie too many times (if that's a thing) and I loved it every time. My sister and I playfully disagreed about the foundation of the conflict of this movie (primarily how the parents handled the issue) but had they just done it my way there wouldn't have been a movie so there's that... Besides being a child at heart and loving most animated films I also love the winter theme and music and the musical performances in this movie were incredible and like most of us that have seen it I had the soundtrack stuck in my head for a couple of weeks. The message at the end of the movie was refreshing and the decision to change from the cliche Disney formula was awesome. I'm rooting for them to win best original song and best animated picture at the Academy Awards for sure.

The Lego Movie (8/10) Though it's not in the running as it came out in 2014, the second I saw a preview for this movie I planned on seeing it even if I had to see it alone. I loved Lego's as a kid and would probably have fun building them even now if they weren't so damn expensive. I think I was just expecting it to blow my mind because my friends that had seen it really hyped it up. I had a blast watching it but I loved Frozen more. The special effects, getting to see a childhood favorite toy come to life with the lead voice actor from Parks and Recreation (another show that I love) was just a blast to see.

I recall reading another thread on here that most people here don't care too much about the Academy Awards and in the past I would at least see who won and if the movies I had seen that year were in the running. This year however I'm gonna watch and enjoy because I have opinions which makes it much more enjoyable! And if you're in this sub forum you probably do as well! Movies are so subjective though and there are so many various elements that all of us prioritize differently when we're discussing which movies are best. I feel like movies that Parallel real events in our history get an unfair bias in my opinion but in the case of Dallas Buyers Club I think its earned its place. Just my 2 cents!
    Last edited by ignit3e; 2014-02-27 at 08:49 AM.

Deleted
    Which quality did you guys watch Gravity in?
    On calculators?
    Just kidding I can easily understand how the movie might not be too intriguing outside of the cinema.

I feel like movies that Parallel real events in our history get an unfair bias
    Agreed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlzone View Post
    Which quality did you guys watch Gravity in?
    On calculators?
    Just kidding I can easily understand how the movie might not be too intriguing outside of the cinema.
    The visual aspect of a movie has exactly zero percent to do with how I rate it. I watch movies for an enthralling plot, character development and top notch writing. I'm not in the slightest bit swayed by graphical quality, much the same way I approach my videogames.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.