Straight Outta Compton 9/10.

Formulaic, but IMMENSELY ENJOYABLE. Solid performances, distinctive 90s film making and an incredible soundtrack propelling the film. The movie felt as 'old school' as the time period it portrays. Maybe the film will be less impacting for those not present for the Hip-Hop of the late 80s and early 90s. I admit a bit of [personal bias here for the source material, but the film is well made and very fun to watch regardless.

There is a part in the film where they play the noisy opening bars of N.W.A's titular album, "Straight Outta Compton", and it is as electrifying and vital sounding as 27 years ago. When the bars of "Fuck Tha Police" the parallel would be comical to modern and recent events in the US if it were not so intensely raw and earnest in composition.

Highly enjoyable.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-08-14 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I don't think that was weird at all. Docking a spaceship doesn't require intelligence, it requires practice.
    They mention explicity that TARS disabled the auto docking, or whatever it was called. I believe they then ask CASE to confirm "will he be able to dock?" to which he replies "imperfectly" which I took to mean, he's going to depressurize if he tries to open the door. I believe he did it successfully, just the Endurance didn't complete the connection.

I didn't have any issue with Damon's character really, and it allowed one of the most intense scenes to take place. I would say maybe that it's a tad bit hard to believe that this guy was so well respected but such a coward (unknown to everyone) and that no indication of that made itself known prior to this save the world mission they were all involved in. But not completely unbelievable.

If anything I'd negate some points due to some of the cringy love lines. Also, the wormhole explanation. I understand why it needed to take place for the general audience, but it was still so out of place. There are a couple of other details that don't make complete sense but I'm blanking on them. Still probably in my top 5 favorite movies at the moment.

Last I watched was Captain America Winter Soldier (rewatching some things on a new projector/screen), but I think I've rated it already, so the last "new" (to me) movie I watched was Solaris. I'd say 7/10.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

Mad Max: Fury Road - 6/10

The special effects are really all this movie has going for it. They were gorgeous of course! Other than that I pretty much sat there wondering when something more was going to happen, and nothing did. It was entertaining enough if you turn your brain off, which I guess is the point. But even the old Mad Max movies had more to them than Fury Roads "lets drive across the wasteland all day and that's it" story.

Babadook - 8.5/10

Pretty creepy stuff. Whats nice about this horror film is that its rather deep. Since the Babadook is really grief of losing a loved one. The film really touches on some dark subject matter. Fear, resentment, shame and survivor's guilt. I felt the mother was a really deeply human character. It makes you really ponder how horrible life would be in such a scenario.

Transformers : Age of Extinction - 5.5/10

It was okay. The acting out of Mark Wahlberg and his daughter in the film was rancid. So unbelievable that it made me cringe to hear her say "daddy". The overall premise wasn't terrible but it tried too cram too much into one movie. It was pretty lame how they make the reveal with Galvatron and then you see him only for a few minute more in the film.

Soooo. This is a bit complicated. Jurassic World.

>3.5 weeks ago took flight to Florida.
    >Put the movie on my Kindle so I could watch it.
    >It was just too slow and it didn't feel like it was killing enough time so I turned it off after like 3 minutes and listened to music.

>Like 10 days ago took flight back to NY.
    >Watched like first 12 minutes but goddamn I had to turn it off again because it wasn't distracting me enough.

>Yesterday was sick and took a nap during the day.
    >Last night I had some energy after being sick so I put the movie on my PS4 and watched it on my TV in the den.
    >I guess I watched it through this time.

Anywayyyyy. About the actual movie. How do I say this....first lemme say that I didn't watch the first 3 movies (actually I think in my biology class in high school I did watch Jurassic Park 3 when we were like at the end of the year and stopped learning, but since it was spread out over days and I wasn't paying attention I don't remember).

ANYWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. The movie was.....well made. Even though it was one story it felt like there were a bunch of substories since the characters were all divided in the beginning and it was good that they all formed a main story at the end. The plot itself was fine. (I mean it was predictable and cliche at parts, but in the way any blockbuster family action movie would be.) And the dinosaurs were a bit ruthless which was surprisingly nice.

But goddamn even if it was cool the movie felt too long (to me). I don't know what they could cut out because the whole movie felt like it belonged, but sitting through it since you kinda know where the characters are going and what'll happen next just waiting for the next scenes feels like foreverrrrrrr.

I have to officially give it 8/10 because the movie is good, but I'd personally (as an experienced movie watcher) give it 5/10 watching it at home. No, that's not because I didn't watch the others and no that's not because of the circumstances that I started watching it two other times, but because it's just not captivating to me. It is good but it doesn't put me in awe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fort Tilden - 7/10

A solid film about frenemies. The two lead actresses were good and had strong chemistry. Some lol moments coupled with an overall engaging premise. I loved all the eccentric characters sprinkled throughout the film.

Deleted
    Mad Max
    2/10

Outside of a few action parts, this movie is pure garbage. Terrible story, no character development and a seriously lack of logic. I felt like I became dumber for every minute I watched, there are just so many goofs it makes you ponder what the fuck they were thinking when they made the movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just saw Goodfellas for the first time in my life. - 9/10

Loved the movie overall. I know it's a bioppic, but I wish the main female characters hadn't been so stereotypically onenote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tom at the Farm - 8/10

Tense, dysfunctional, sexual...great film.

Oh yeah. 2 weeks ago when I was in Florida I was on my Kindle while family went out clothes shopping or visiting family or some thing that would make me suicidal, so I watched Frozen.

I honestly wouldn't have even wanted to see this, but this thread hyped it up so much a while back and honestly there were so many pictures/songs/memes that were like inside jokes for the movie, so I felt like I was missing out by not getting the references. Especially since you all gave it such high ratings.

I'm not sure how to grade it since clearly the target audience is children lol. Like, I can't really sit back and analyze it as a movie as I normally would. That would be like having deep insights into a kids football game as if it were a professional game. You could do it, but it's just overkill.

I'll give it 6/10, personally. Probably for kids it was fun. For me it was okay. They broke out into song a bit too often so it was hard for me to tune in and take it seriously.

Soriority Row 7/10

Not the most original slasher movie out there but I liked it. The film plays with a number of amusing college stereotypes (many of which hit closer to home than I think a lot of people would like to admit) and it isn't afraid to poke fun at itself/the genre either. Not the best movie to watch for a thought provoking plot but it's perfect if you're bored one night and want to sit back, relax and watch something on Netflix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Soriority Row 7/10

Not the most original slasher movie out there but I liked it. The film plays with a number of amusing college stereotypes (many of which hit closer to home than I think a lot of people would like to admit) and it isn't afraid to poke fun at itself/the genre either. Not the best movie to watch for a thought provoking plot but it's perfect if you're bored one night and want to sit back, relax and watch something on Netflix.
    I remember watching the trailer for this movie quite a long time ago. But never got round too it, now you've reminded me! :d Downloading now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heartbeats - 7/10

Xavier Dolan is my new obsession. Loving his aesthetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mr. Nobody 9/10 It's a movie I've been meaning to watch for a while now and I saw it was on Netflix so I gave it a shot (it's still on Netflix for anyone interested). Great story with a nice meaning behind it. Philosophical movies can be kind of dull but this one was done really well. It kept my interest throughout the whole movie and ended in a great spot. I highly recommend it, probably the best movie I've seen this year.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Ant-Man - 7.5/10

Enjoyable, Paul Rudd is as charming as ever. Michael Douglas is great, Evangeline Lilly also good and Corey Stoll is believable as the main antagonist.
    The story overall is pretty much the usual, filled with clichés and the villain is kinda weak and didn't have enough fighting scenes.

Loved the train set fighting scene.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - 7 out of 10

I understand that the mission has to be impossible to justify the movie's name, but the motocycles chasing scene was too much for me. The movie is fun for sure (definitely better than MI2, for instance), but once you learn that Ethan Hunt is basically immortal, the movie loses a little of its appeal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Straight Outta Compton: 8.5 ~ 10 Typical biopic formula, but damn was it enjoyable. That intro! Good Lord... tank knocked that bitch the fuck OUT. Lost half a point, because I kept feeling like something was missing. Maybe an extra 30 minutes to flesh out the chronology a bit more? No worries, though... it was well made and well acted. Surprising amount of humor and heart. Well worth a viewing for fans.

Oh yeah: Seeing Marcc Rose was straight up eerie. Pac biopic now, please.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

I played a flash game that was about Coraline and the game was pretty cool, so I decided to watch the movie (it's an animated movie about a girl who kinda (not a real spoiler) goes to another world where her family and neighbors are all better than the real world, yesterday and today. Honestly playing the game before the movie I kinda knew the plot of the movie before seeing it, and the game was a bit cooler than the movie...or at least it was more fun...nevertheless, the review:

I liked it. It's a bit weird saying this after giving the review for Frozen, but this is the kind of animated movie that's cool. Honestly maybe it's because Frozen is geared toward kids and this one...while obviously aimed at children...had a darker theme.

It also felt like a lot happened in the movie. There was something new and interesting and the plot kept going forward with new objectives. It kept the movie fresh throughout. And the plot was very interesting.

I have to give it 10/10. The story was great. The animation was great and nice to look at. It didn't drag on and felt like the perfect length, and all of the characters were dynamic. (I really am trying to dock it half a point because it's weird to give a perfect score, but I can't find any flaws.)

Housebound - 8/10

A fun horror film from New Zealand. I was actually pretty impressed by this film. Its a light-hearted horror story in that it balances a sense of comedy and creepiness really well. Although I'd say by the end it goes a little into a more goofy-territory. Its definitely worth watching on Netflix if you want a movie that will scary a little bit, but not leave you feeling like you have to sleep with the lights on at the end of the night.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - 7 out of 10

I understand that the mission has to be impossible to justify the movie's name, but the motocycles chasing scene was too much for me. The movie is fun for sure (definitely better than MI2, for instance), but once you learn that Ethan Hunt is basically immortal, the movie loses a little of its appeal.
    I agree. I don't really feel like I can critizise it for being like the other Mission Impossible movies, but ahg... it was just way too over the top with what he can survive and all. Did no one stop to think that perhaps they could have made the car fall just on it's back and that be it? I could have believed that he would have survived, but no... they had to make it spin around 10 times. And it really was like the previous instalment (which people seemed to love), but I think I might have been hoping for something a bit more like the first and third part or like a bourne movie. I really did enjoy the villain though as well as Renner's character, that guy is a much better character than in the last movie.

6.5/10
    EDIT: Am I the only one who thought the punching sounds were WAY exaggerated in the cinema?
    Last edited by mmocea9cec0ead; 2015-08-18 at 08:34 AM.