1. #3801
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I like Smith, but I haven't seen Django Unchained yet so my opinion is uninformed at best.

    Nicholas Cage would have been a terrible Eragorn.
    I like Smith too, but I don't think he has quite a serious acting skill that Fox has displayed in The Soloist and Law Abiding Citizen.

  2. #3802
    A night at the opera. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026778/

    Absolutely fantastic comedy/musical starring the Marx brothers. I've loved that movie ever since I was a kid and saw it for the first time in several years yesterday, it's brilliant. The cool part is that the humor in it has stood the test of time very well even though film is from 1935.

  3. #3803
    High Overlord shadowdasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Blaine, MN
    Posts
    137
    Les Miserables

    8/10

    I've seen it on stage with Colm Wilkenson. They didn't do that bad of a job. Hugh Jackman was ok, I was more at surprised Russel Crowe. And I couldn't stop laughing at Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter as Thénardiers and Madame Thénardier.

  4. #3804
    Brewmaster Marthenil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Coldharbour
    Posts
    1,267
    The Hobbit, 9.99999999/10 (Refuse to give 10/10 to art :P)

  5. #3805
    Mechagnome Fitzgerald77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    749
    End of Watch 10/10 Loved everything in it!!! It had everything! good action, good humor and amazing drama
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

  6. #3806
    Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    Look, I don’t know if you are being serious or joking with the last part, but I really dislike people who whine about what they will do if their favorite film or performance doesn’t win the big awards, being completely ignorant to the other great movies that premiered the same year. 2012 was a fantastic year for movies, and especially male performances. You can’t just ignore all the movies you didn’t see, and say that your favorite should win. That’s bad film spirit.
    I once saw a completely ignorant fanboy rant about how The Avengers was the best movie in years, and how he would personally track down every Academy member if they didn’t vote it for Best Picture and Downey Jr. for Best Actor, and Joss Whedon for Director, of course. yeah, great society we are a part of.
    It did get an 8.8 on IMDB, and there are only 13 other movies with a score of 8.8 or higher.

  7. #3807
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I like Smith too, but I don't think he has quite a serious acting skill that Fox has displayed in The Soloist and Law Abiding Citizen.
    Really? Have you seen Will Smith in The Pursuit of Happyness or Seven Pounds? He can definitely do serious roles when he needs to. I still agree with you though. This role was meant for Foxx.

  8. #3808
    Les Misérables

    I thought Jackman was okay; I'm a stickler for "on-the-beat, no deviations" when it comes to the score but I knew I wouldn't be getting that going in so I'd made my peace. At times, it seemed that he didn't quite have the range needed. I really enjoyed Hathaway's performance as well as the interpretations of Eponine, the Thénadiers and adult Cosette. This Enjolras felt weak to me-- I wouldn't follow him into battle. I was distracted by Cohen's decision to use a bit of a French accent (the actress who played Mme Giry in Schuemaker's PotO did the same thing) in a musical where the characters would actually be speaking French.
    I did not like Crowe at all-- yelling, and weak yelling at that, is not singing. I wasn't expecting Philip Quast quality but I've never heard such a boring take on 'Stars'. Javert is my favorite-- I really wanted to like Crowe in this.
    Marius was forgettable to me-- not enough emotion but still better than the Jonas brother (who seemed incapable of making eye contact with the other performers). Gavroche was well-cast.
    The sets were gorgeous. I didn't like a lot of the hand-holding going on (do we really need an additional TWO reminders that Eponine is a Thénadier? If so, why no mention that Gavroche is also a Thénadier but chooses to live on the street?) We saw a few places with added segments while some of the exposition that was already in place felt very rushed to me.
    I appreciated their giving Wilkinson a cameo as the bishop (and maybe I'm paranoid but I thought I detected a hint of 'I can put Jackman in his place any day of the week' from him when Valjean was brought back with the stolen silver=)) but I don't like that they chose to REPLACE Eponine with the bishop at the end. Have all three but don't take her out!

    I'll be interested to see if Mackintosh decides to work on Miss Saigon now.

    8/10

  9. #3809
    A Fantastic Fear of Everything
    8 out of 10.

    I really was surprised by this. It's Simon Pegg in a slightly darker role, though still comedic. I found the film had more depth than I expected it too, and could relate on a few of the elements! The way they depict fear of someone being in your home when you're alone. I thought it was great! Critics don't seem to agree though.

  10. #3810
    Last movie in theater was The Hobbit : 8/10

    Last movie on DVD was Cars : 7/10

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 01:49 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Kinda like me an best picture, Avatar should of got it. Dont go off at me, but when it says best film it should mean it. Not for the story but for its technical merits and its showing at the box office. Bare in mind that Titanic did the same at the box office and made off with best picture.
    Titanic won 2 more Oscars than Avatar was even nominated for. That doesn't include the 3 awards that it DIDN'T win, including Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress. Also, how much money a movie makes at the box office means shit. If that was the case, movies like The King's Speech wouldn't have even been nominated and Hangover 2 would have.

  11. #3811
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I like Smith too, but I don't think he has quite a serious acting skill that Fox has displayed in The Soloist and Law Abiding Citizen.
    Smith can be serious. I thought he did an excellent job as a serious character in "The Pursuit of Happiness". I just don't think the roll really fit him that well. He is also a bit old to be playing a character who is in his early 20's.

    This was the first performance Smith did that showed he definitely has talent for serious rolls. This was back when he was doing Fresh Prince and he ad libed the entire scene apparently. In the episode Will's father who was absent his entire childhood unexpectedly shows up saying he wants to go on a trip with Will. Will is very excited and everything seems to be going okay until you find out the dad just came to try to mooch some money off of Will's uncle and is now skipping town and not taking will on the trip.


    ---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 05:15 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Last movie in theater was The Hobbit : 8/10

    Last movie on DVD was Cars : 7/10

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 01:49 PM ----------



    Titanic won 2 more Oscars than Avatar was even nominated for. That doesn't include the 3 awards that it DIDN'T win, including Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress. Also, how much money a movie makes at the box office means shit. If that was the case, movies like The King's Speech wouldn't have even been nominated and Hangover 2 would have.
    I think it was ridiculous because Avatar was arguably the most memorable movie of the year. It had some decent competition, but somehow the one who won was fucking Hurt Locker. Seriously. That movie was not only a box office bomb, it was touted as an accurate portrayal of the war in Iraq while pretty much every veteran who saw it said it was horribly inaccurate, it didn't have any truly memorable preformances, and in 10 years, while people will still remember avatar, no one will remember it.
    The other contenders for best picture that year:
    Avatar
    The Blind Side
    District 9
    An Education
    Inglorious Basterds
    Precious
    A serious Man
    Up
    Up in the air

    Literally all of those movies were better than the Hurt Locker. I think one of the reasons it won was because the director is James Camerons ex wife and they wanted to create some stupid artificial rivalry for the tabloids so more hype would get built up.

    I haven't been so ticked off about a best picture decision since they gave Best Picture to fucking Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan.
    Last edited by Defengar; 2013-01-01 at 11:16 PM.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." -Paul Krugman

  12. #3812
    Moderator Kerdoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ekerö
    Posts
    5,172
    Die Hard 3 - 8/10

    It's Die Hard! 3 also, wich i think is the best one. Jeremy Irons is so freaking good as Simon!

  13. #3813
    Stood in the Fire Zarintha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    377
    Premium Rush
    8/10
    It's about one of those bike messenger people in New York who gets a package to deliver that is more than it seems at first. Shit hits the fan as some guy wants the package off him and chases him all across the city.
    Big bonus - Main Character is Joseph Gordon-Levitt :3

  14. #3814
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    Smith can be serious. I thought he did an excellent job as a serious character in "The Pursuit of Happiness". I just don't think the roll really fit him that well. He is also a bit old to be playing a character who is in his early 20's.

    This was the first performance Smith did that showed he definitely has talent for serious rolls. This was back when he was doing Fresh Prince and he ad libed the entire scene apparently. In the episode Will's father who was absent his entire childhood unexpectedly shows up saying he wants to go on a trip with Will. Will is very excited and everything seems to be going okay until you find out the dad just came to try to mooch some money off of Will's uncle and is now skipping town and not taking will on the trip.


    ---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 05:15 PM ----------



    I think it was ridiculous because Avatar was arguably the most memorable movie of the year. It had some decent competition, but somehow the one who won was fucking Hurt Locker. Seriously. That movie was not only a box office bomb, it was touted as an accurate portrayal of the war in Iraq while pretty much every veteran who saw it said it was horribly inaccurate, it didn't have any truly memorable preformances, and in 10 years, while people will still remember avatar, no one will remember it.
    The other contenders for best picture that year:
    Avatar
    The Blind Side
    District 9
    An Education
    Inglorious Basterds
    Precious
    A serious Man
    Up
    Up in the air

    Literally all of those movies were better than the Hurt Locker. I think one of the reasons it won was because the director is James Camerons ex wife and they wanted to create some stupid artificial rivalry for the tabloids so more hype would get built up.

    I haven't been so ticked off about a best picture decision since they gave Best Picture to fucking Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan.
    Fern Gully with 3D CGI everywhere does not = a masterpiece. Avatar is WAY over hyped and always has been. Its plot is one of the most basic and overused out there. Seriously, just look at the cartoon Fern Gully and you'll realise Avatar's basically that, for teens.

    Anyways.

    Contagion: 9/10

  15. #3815
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Fern Gully with 3D CGI everywhere does not = a masterpiece. Avatar is WAY over hyped and always has been. Its plot is one of the most basic and overused out there. Seriously, just look at the cartoon Fern Gully and you'll realise Avatar's basically that, for teens.

    Anyways.

    Contagion: 9/10
    The story, although an extremely old one, was decent enough to get by(fern gully is in no way the first to use the "bad guy comes over to the good side and fights against overwhelming odds to help the underdog dog good side" theme, hell, Dances with Wolves did it 2 years before Fern Gully was even made). The main draw and attraction was the arguably best CGI ever used in a movie and the best use of 3-D in years, possibly ever.

    All that coalesced into a true cinematic experience, and its why it made nearly 2.8 BILLION dollars at the Box office. Movies are not always supposed to have some sort of deep message or engrossing story, they are first and foremost supposed to be entertainment, and that's what Avatar was, pure entertainment. For tens of millions of more people than the Hurt locker was I might add. The hurt locker was, for the most part, not entertaining, and carried no real deep message, it was basically trying to one-up Jarhead, which was head over heals a better film, yet didn't win best picture.

    Cameron actually started writing Avatar in middle school, he even showed the binder full of line paper he wrote all his ideas and scripts on during an interview a while back. He wanted to start making it before he even finished Titanic, but he realized he needed to wait until special effects had matured enough for the film not to look dated and crappy a year later.
    Last edited by Defengar; 2013-01-02 at 01:29 AM.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." -Paul Krugman

  16. #3816
    Warchief Waaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,146
    Skyfall: 5/10, and that is being generous.

    It was a decent secret agent movie... But James Bond? lol
    James Bond has always been about a secret agent with awesome gadgets that we think could never be possible, all this guy had was a palm reading gun, a gps, and machine guns on his car. Nothing impressive, the palm reading gun was the only thing that seemed half decent. Thank god I didn't pay for that shit. Yay internet!

    Oh and I laughed hard at 007 getting out of a choke hold under freezing cold water, and Daniel Craig runs like a retard.

    I also watched District 9 again on TV, still the best movie of all time, 10/10.
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2013-01-02 at 02:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr
    I thought doing the toothpaste-tube-squeeze and vigorous shake was the "traditional" way.

  17. #3817
    The Patient Saturate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rapture
    Posts
    200
    The Hobbit - 9/10


    Only CGI orcs and 3D brought down the grade. Can't wait to see the extended bluray edition.

    Still waters run deep.

  18. #3818
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    The story, although an extremely old one, was decent enough to get by(fern gully is in no way the first to use the "bad guy comes over to the good side and fights against overwhelming odds to help the underdog dog good side" theme, hell, Dances with Wolves did it 2 years before Fern Gully was even made). The main draw and attraction was the arguably best CGI ever used in a movie and the best use of 3-D in years, possibly ever.

    All that coalesced into a true cinematic experience, and its why it made nearly 2.8 BILLION dollars at the Box office. Movies are not always supposed to have some sort of deep message or engrossing story, they are first and foremost supposed to be entertainment, and that's what Avatar was, pure entertainment. For tens of millions of more people than the Hurt locker was I might add. The hurt locker was, for the most part, not entertaining, and carried no real deep message, it was basically trying to one-up Jarhead, which was head over heals a better film, yet didn't win best picture.

    Cameron actually started writing Avatar in middle school, he even showed the binder full of line paper he wrote all his ideas and scripts on during an interview a while back. He wanted to start making it before he even finished Titanic, but he realized he needed to wait until special effects had matured enough for the film not to look dated and crappy a year later.
    As I said, it's by no means a masterpiece and there were films out that were better all round than it. If you took the 3D CGI away, it wouldn't have gotten any where. Avatar was just a popcorn piece with little other purpose. It had some new and shiny tech and that drew the crowds in their millions.

    The acting's average, mostly over the top, the story is average, the action is good and the visuals/special effects pretty much carry the film. Such an unbalanced film simply isn't going to win best picture. I would've given District 9 best picture before Avatar.

  19. #3819
    At least we can agree that Hurt Locker didn't deserve the award that year.

    I feel avatar deserved it not only because it was a technological milestone in film making, but because it was arguably the biggest film of the century. The only other movies that comes close in my mind to hype it generated is Gone With The Wind, and Star Wars A New Hope, and only Gone With the Wind (adjusted for inflation) even comes close to its box office record. For about 6 months people were going bonkers for avatar. Everyone was talking about it, there were news stories on it, hell, when it was temporarily banned from theaters in china, one city there renamed a freaking mountain after it in protest.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." -Paul Krugman

  20. #3820
    Bloodsail Admiral Algore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,121
    Once Upon A Time In Anatolia - Turkish movie.
    Fantastic experience both intellectually and emotionally. The cinematography was impressing and also, to my surprise, shot in digital.

    8.5/10. In my top 10 of 2012.
    Last edited by Algore; 2013-01-02 at 07:36 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •