Star Trek: Into Darkness - 8.5/10

This film is just a blast from start to finish. Excellent action and breakneck speed plotting keep it going non stop, with more than a few nods to its equivalent in the previous run of films. There's a lot of stuff in here for people who know their classic Star Trek as well as those who just want to see a good action film. Benedict Cumberbatch *really* steals every scene he's in, with powerful acting and an unreal presence in every shot. I wasn't a hundred percent sure he'd be the best choice for the job, but he really is.

Snow White and the Huntsman - 9/10

Deleted
    Watched a lot of movies with a friend this weekend

Hansel and Gretal: Witchhunters - 5/10
    Dark Shadows - 4/10
    Magic Mike - 7/10
    Frankenweenie - 7/10

Oblivion 6/10

glad i put off watching till now.../disappoint.

too much unexplained, too much i wanted to see and they didn't show, too much background stories missing. worth a one time watch only.

After Earth better not suck as much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by masterrofl12 View Post
    Iron Man 3 6.5/10
    The movie was entertaining, RDJ is perfect as Tony Stark as always, but there was some parts that almost ruined the the movie for me, like the whole Mandarin thing. Another thing that bothered me was how weak Tony's suits seemed to be, I mean in the other Iron Man movies and The Avengers he's suit was freaking strong and took some way harder hits than in this one. RDJ still managed to save the movie for me, but the first Iron Man movie remains the best imo.
    Saw Iron Man 3 a couple of days ago and thought the exact same thing. Even gave it the same rating!

Deleted
    Iron Man 3

6/10

The Expendables: 1/10

Embarassingly terrible piece of crap movie. The only thing of slight value in watching it, was constantly making fun of Sylvester Stallone's horrible plastic surgery. Even the action, which is the one thing this movie was supposed to have, was totally weak. Complete waste of time.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by star-nosed-mole-man View Post
    'The Royal Tenenbaums', great film, id give it 9/10, my favourite film by wes anderson, apart from 'Moonrise Kingdom'.
    The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou 10/10.. is one of my top 10 films. easily his best imo :P
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2013-05-13 at 11:19 PM.

The Host - 7/10 pretty good movie.
    Last edited by Last Attempt; 2013-05-15 at 01:20 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charecters View Post
    The Host - 9.5/10 really good movie.
    What year of release? The 2006 Korean horror movie is widely considered excellent. The 2013 romance on the other hand...

iron man 3 - give it a 5.5-6
    That felling you got from Iron Man 1, the whole discovery of the background of how Iron Man came to be, learning something is long gone. This feels like and completely comes off as just some random issue of iron man the comic book. This isn't a bad thing and the movie is entertaining enough. I'll take this over what the studios are doing with the superman and spiderman franchises; rebooting them and retelling the same story at least 3 times (at least).
    Last edited by slime; 2013-05-14 at 11:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Iron Man 3. 7/10, I quite liked it, though I would've preffered more had Ben Kingsley been the real Mandarin. I guess I will get flamed to death now. x)

10+ Year Old Account
    Parker. 7/10. - good if you like Jason Statham, but not very original imo

Quote Originally Posted by Komati View Post
    The Amazing Spider Man : 5/10.
    It was okay. It was as okay as anything can be.
    Minus for not including the sentence "With great power comes great responsibility".
    Really? That one line is the only thing that kept Martin Sheen from being a perfect Uncle Ben (despite saying those words in a different order)? His character felt stronger, realer, that there was an actual family connection beyond an adult male holding a relative's child in their house.

Any of the animated series, Cliff Robertson from the other movies, they couldn't get that feeling. At all. Martin Sheen did, did it well, and this is what gives you a minus, simply because using those exact words would sound forced and cliche "just to be in there"?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Really? That one line is the only thing that kept Martin Sheen from being a perfect Uncle Ben (despite saying those words in a different order)? His character felt stronger, realer, that there was an actual family connection beyond an adult male holding a relative's child in their house.

Any of the animated series, Cliff Robertson from the other movies, they couldn't get that feeling. At all. Martin Sheen did, did it well, and this is what gives you a minus, simply because using those exact words would sound forced and cliche "just to be in there"?
    Really? He didn't seem too far away from being like the usual Uncle Bens. Granted, they did give him more of a paternal feel to him, it only seemed to last a few seconds. I suppose that's more due to the fact that he isn't seen a whole lot, due to limited time and all that, but it still seemed like there could have interaction rather than the strange/awkward looking talks they have. I remember when Peter shows his dad's bag, how for a split second, it looked like he was about to have a total freak out. Then May calls the bag dirty and orders Peter to take it away... which was also pretty strange...

Anyway...

Superman Unbound. Okay, I'm not the biggest Superman fan. Hell, I utterly hate the guy outside of animated media, so I may be a bit biased. But the movie wasn't that great...

While not the worst Superman movie (that title goes to All-Star) it's hardly anything to care about. Supergirl is completely pointless except for a few lines of explaining dialogue and the generic young hero who's unsure tripe that's just glanced over, there's really no drama at all in the movie, and Brainiac just seems... phoned in...?

The movie just reminds me why I don't find Superman entertaining. Hell, there are barely any real combat scenes in this movie, the point of having a superhero movie! Most of it is just exploration and talking... just talking... When there is combat, I just role my eyes and wonder when it will end and Superman ends up on top for X reason. There's one scene where he gets weaker (BIG SHOCKER!) but it effects nothing and he gets to full power shortly after with nothing changing. It's dull, it's pointless. When your superhero can do anything, trying to make him not look overpowered just makes it look agonizingly boring...

As for the main baddie... I don't know, while I'm not fully aware of Brainiac's full scope in the comics... Here, he is basically nothing. All he does is talk, talky talky talky, the basic superiority monologue. The fight scenes involving him are as equally pointless as he is, if you can call them that.. He talks, spouting off about how he is so awesome, then gets punched, starts talking again... gets punched... starts talking AGAIN... beaten. (Wait, what?)

I can't even say that this movie would just be a basic, give to the kids to enjoy. I don't mind superheroes getting the "edgy" tone, but it's really forced in the movie. There's a few scenes to show blood, but there's very little actual violence. Hell is used a few times, and it feels tacked on. There's also a scene when someone flips someone else the bird... and I'm not sure... Was I supposed to laugh? I dunno...

5.5 is what I give it. Once again, I'm not big on Superman, for good reason mind you. But I suppose a big fan of the guy or someone who can take superhero movies with a grain of salt, it isn't too bad.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Iron Man 3: 4/10. Robert Downey Jr gets 10/10 for his acting, though, the only thing that made the movie endurable.

Issues I have with this movie:

The most prominent scenes do not include Iron Man, or if they do, they include comic relief. (Tony Stark gets hit in the groin with his armor.)
    The Mandarin is not the Mandarin
    Tony Stark as Sam Fischer
    Tony Stark turned into Bruce Wayne's depressiv "why can't I get my shit together" self. If he had no trouble sleeping after being held several months captive in a cave you would figure that a 3 minute trip to space fighting robot aliens should be a piece of cake, or his near-death experience from Palladium poisening. His whole anxiety is completly stupid.
    It renders the Peptalk Tony held for Bruce Banner in the Avengers completly pointless.
    It renders Iron Man 2 completly pointless. Iron Man 2 ist Tony Stark's struggle to stay alive. "Congratulations, Sir, you just created a new element." "Yeah, won't need it in 12 months anymore, so..." At the end of IM 3 we learn that he could just take the shrapnell out as easy as I change my underwear. Why didn't he do that in the first place?
    Memorable characters from this movie in ranking order: Tony Stark, that small kid who didn't bring him his sandwich, Ben Kingsley as "Look, I'm not actually Moriarty, but an actor" the Mandarin, Pepper Pots, as badass and very well in shape for her age, Yilsin, the botanist girl, the villain. What was his name? And his scheme? I forgot.

Robert Downy Jr is an excellent actor and delivers a wonderfull performance. I laughed a lot. But I definetly didn't get what I expected. If this was the first movie of Marvels second movie phase, count me out for the rest. I cannot recommend the movie to anyone else.

3D was not present.
    Yeah pretty much this. I have this thing with all the Iron Man movies where I enjoy them while I'm watching them but after the credits roll I suddenly realise that the movie kind of sucked and/or Iron Man was never actually in any real danger and/or all of the character development points (Tony Stark's emotional issues, dealing with the events of the Avengers etc) are just abandoned and serve no purpose in the story. But this one was considerably worse in that regard, if Robert Downey Jr. wasn't such an awesome Iron Man I would've found the movie pretty lousy. Especially the lazy way they suddenly decide to end the series at the end out of nowhere by having him blow up all his suits for no sane reason and pull the shard out of his heart like it's no biggie.

Personally I sort of enjoyed the twist with the Mandarin, would've been okay except that the replacement villain we get is lame. His motives are pretty weak and he's not very impressive as a villain, and the whole serum that makes you burn up and explode thing was just not a very interesting enemy for Iron Man in the end.

In short, why didn't they just make another Avengers movie?

---------- Post added 2013-05-15 at 05:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I felt that everything in that movie was just a complete re-tread of the first Sam Raimi movie, but not as good. Martin Sheen's portrayal included. And trying to clumsily re-word that famous line just to arbitrarily differentiate themselves from those movies, but being unable to come up with a suitable replacement so Uncle Ben is just rambling? The epitome of everything that was wrong with it. I gave it 0/10, complete waste of space.

Don't keep subjecting us to remakes of origin stories every time a major actor needs to be replaced... especially not when the earlier movies weren't even that long ago. They should've just made it Spiderman 4.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2013-05-15 at 05:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hansel & Gretel - Witch Hunters

7/10 - Yes the film might not be amazing and everything but it kept me entertained for 90 minutes which is what a film is meant to do in my opinion, i did love the gorey bits in it but the story line is quite flat and does not really peak

Did love the hear/see Gemma Artreton swearing and cursing u just dont expect her to do so ^^

Deleted
    Ironman 3 - 7/10

the more I think about the movie, the less I like it. It is still entertaining and slightly better than the second one though. Maybe I just expected too much that the Mandarin would turn out to be as important for Ironman than the Joker for Batman because let's face it; all Ironman villains were quite boring and forgettable and Ben Kingsley is a great actor...

Star Trek into Darkness - 8.5/10

I really enjoyed this one. Loved the story, the cast, the effects and so on. I wish they would have taken some more time for some plot points, e.g. the ending felt a little bit rushed, but otherwise I can definetely recommend the movie (especially if you have to choose between Ironman and Star Trek).

Quote Originally Posted by Rocktan View Post

Star Trek into Darkness - 8.5/10

I really enjoyed this one. Loved the story, the cast, the effects and so on. I wish they would have taken some more time for some plot points, e.g. the ending felt a little bit rushed, but otherwise I can definetely recommend the movie (especially if you have to choose between Ironman and Star Trek).
    I just got back from seeing this in 3D and I agree with all of what you said. I completely expected the Klingons to attack when he was giving his speech at the end. Honestly that would have made a great ending and an excellent lead in to the next movie! They kind of just came and went.

Deleted
    The Lives of Others - (Das Leben der Anderen). A compelling realisation of life in the corrupt, paranoid, surveillance state of East Germany film. Somewhat sentimental too, in a good way. 9/10.