Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) - 8/10
    Of the four Stanley Kubrick movies I've watched so far (the others being Clockwork Orange, 2001 and The Shining), this is my favorite. It's hilarious, it has great characters, and the overacting Kubrick loves works well here. It shows how the world could easily end if a few of the right people were a bit stranger.

15+ Year Old Account
    Boyhood 10/10

Fucking great movie, and a real filmmaking accomplishment. It was filmed over the course of 12 years so that the cast ages gradually over the course of the movie. There's really nothing else quite like this movie, at least not in terms of scripted, non-documentary films. It's also definitely my favorite Richard Linklater film.

Plus, it hit especially close to home as I also grew up in Texas with divorced parents and I've experienced a lot of the same things as the protagonist (including my semi-estranged father taking me to an Astros game and Perdenales Falls State Park). Dem feels.

Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2015-01-30 at 11:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Birdman - 10/10

Awww man this movie is great! All the metaphors that people think is just crazy shit, the cinematography... It's AMAZING! And the "one-take" thing they did gets you on the edge of your seat for most of the movie. It makes the story unstoppable but still smooth.

A shame it probably won't get Best Movie. I'm betting on Best Cinematography tho, right there with Whiplash.
    "Ah... you have learned much... and learned well... an honorable battle.
    In the end, I stood by the warchief, because it was my duty, and I am glad that it was you who struck me down.
    May your strength... lead the horde... into a new era of prosperity..."

-General Nazgrim

Boyhood: 9/10

It was pretty good, but I wish the ending was better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    Not understanding it doesn't mean there is a lack of explanations. Everything ties together perfectly in that movie.

http://www.donniedarko.org.uk/explanation/
    According to your website: "The explanation heavily revolves around the book Donnie gets from his teacher, "The Philosophy of Time Travel" written by Roberta Sparrow (Grandma Death). The book is a fictional one but some of the pages were in the film's web site and included into the director's cut version of the movie."

If the explanation relies in a website and in a second version of the movie, I think it is fair to say that the original movie offers no explanation on its own.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerkked View Post
    Django Unchained
    10/10 easily. Great action move with a real story. Has awesome characters and good acting. Has subtle humor elements taken from old westerns.
    Probably one of DiaCaprio's best roles, shows he's a really great actor if you don't just typecast him. The scene where he get's mad and smashes his glass at the table making his hand bleed like fuck, well that actually happened but he just stayed in his role. That's acting.

Selma 6/10. Kind of dull. LBJ painted as a bad guy, which was odd. Overall decent enough I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pan's Labyrinth - 6/10

Overrated movie imho. People talk SO FUCKING much about this movie that I guess I got a little too overhyped and got my hopes up. It's fun and all, but meh, idk.
    In the end, I stood by the warchief, because it was my duty, and I am glad that it was you who struck me down.

-General Nazgrim

Nightcrawler - 7/10

It was pretty cool, Jake Gyllenhaal definitely performs well. Though I'm a bit irked by the ending.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Book of Life (2014) - 8/10

Great movie, always been a fan of mexican culture and their view on death. The visual style is truly unique and Ron Perlman did a great job as Xibalba.

-General Nazgrim

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Nightcrawler - 7/10

It was pretty cool, Jake Gyllenhaal definitely performs well. Though I'm a bit irked by the ending.
    Thought pretty much the same thing; I liked Gyllenhaal's character, really well done. But the movie didn't live up to my expectations. Still, I think an 8 (or perhaps 7.5) is about right.

Deleted
    CitizenFour ??/10

Really hard to give this a rating in the usual sense as it is a feature length documentary featuring Edward Snowden, and the rest of the journalists behind the now infamous NSA leak. Speaking in his own words explaining why he done what he done, and going into detail of some of the projects that where leaked it was extremely interesting to watch. If you are at all interested in hearing his side of the story, or even just a passing interest in the Snowden Leak, then you really should watch it.

Gone Girl 10/10
    Ben Affleck learns that sticking his dick in crazy is a bad idea.
    Fantastic film, Saying anything more will spoil it.
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2015-01-31 at 04:17 AM.

Whiplash:9.2/10
    Very good movie, the ending was pretty badass. I like how nothing was over dramatized, and the characters felt like real people, with real struggles, and reactions. I also liked the darker tone of the movie, I was expecting some rock band'ish movie, I was so wrong.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Imitation Game - 9/10

What a fucking great movie! It had me tearing up multiple times because of what happened on screen. Anyone who knows a little bit about Alan Turing's life will know what I'm talking about.

Also, the acting is fantastic, even the child who plays Alan Turing is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Into The Woods - 10/10

Hilarious, great songs, great cast, great plot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nightcrawler (2014): 8/10

An extremely chilling and frightening Gylenhaal carrying this like a master, it's criminal he didn't even get an Oscar nom for this (and the movie itself as well). It had a few off-key scenes here and there that felt unnecessary and boring, as well as an unsatisfying ending, but overall I liked it a lot (the overall night-time city atmosphere was great, plus it had some really cool scenes, like that one house scene was amazing).
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-01-31 at 09:59 PM.

Deleted
    Nightcrawler - 8/10.

Impressive film. Every time I kept trying to return to work on my computer, something would pull me adroitly back into the narrative. It was well on its way to "Gone Girl"-level rating, if not at one point potentially higher, were it not for some cheesy scenes near the end a drawn out conversation with a dead man; a detailed explanation of the intent and message of the protagonist when the rest of the movie is a sharp cut and thrust of sub-text and clash of wills; and the final "what happens now" scene.

It deserves an award, if for no other reason than the relatively rare serious satire on the US news networks and crime. It also resonates well with the perception of Europeans who visit or live in the US for a while.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2015-02-01 at 02:03 AM.

Last movie i watched was Nightcrawler and it was amazing. 9.5/10 Top 10 movies of the year in my books. A must watch.

Also watched John Wick, another great movie and big entrance and comeback for Keenu Reeves..Was a very enjoyable thriller. If you liked the original Taken you'll love John Wick 9/10.
    Last edited by DarkArchon; 2015-02-01 at 02:03 AM.

Ladyhawke. 10/10.

Still a classic film with an amazing soundtrack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nightcrawler - 9/10

I don't know why it still bothers me when the Oscars overlook stellar performances and films but as I was watching Nightcrawler I kept thinking, "How in the hell did Jake Gyllenhaal not get a Best Actor nom for this?!?!?!" I feel like I haven't seen this film before. I feel like I haven't seen Gyllenhaal's character before. Or the relationship between his character and his employee. The film had great tension. Gyllenhaal's character was disturbing. Renee Russo's character was great.

Loved it. A damn shame that it wasn't smothered with Oscars. The people who created it deserved it.