10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreghar View Post
    Oldboy (2003) - 9/10

Simply amazing. It's a heavy film (in every meaning) and very fast-paced.

I'm scared to see the Spike Lee remake, but I'm REALLY curious. Plus Josh Brolin is amazing.
    The remake was not that bad, it was however nowhere near the shock and thrill fuckfest and god tier cinematography and direction that was the Korean version.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    The remake was not that bad, it was however nowhere near the shock and thrill fuckfest and god tier cinematography and direction that was the Korean version.
    I wanted to say something like that, so I'll just say yeah, that^

Try to not compare it with the original and it's watchable. If you do try to compare to it while watching (which is hard not to do), it can make the whole movie go from not bad to terrible. Being allergic to in-movie Apple products advertising can also have the same effect while watching it.
    Oh, hi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Just watched it and I agree. I REAALLY didn't like the remake, exactly because of the reasons you said.

Oldboy (2013) - [compared to Original] 3/10 [as a standalone movie] 5/10

A little spoiley:

When you keep comparing it scene by scene, it's so terrible you laugh throughout the movie. The changes they made completely destroyed the movie imho.

And the cast is so good I actually felt disappointed to see them in there. Fuck, Brolin, Elizabeth Olsen, Samuel L. Jackson, Imperioli, Copley. I'm just so disappointed as a whole...

I knew they would "americanize" it and maybe even soften it up letting it easier to digest, but this was way too much. There are little (that turn big) changes and amateur-hour scenes that turns the film in an absolute mess.

And the ending... I'm done.

Sorry for the rant, had to vent a little.
    "Ah... you have learned much... and learned well... an honorable battle.
    In the end, I stood by the warchief, because it was my duty, and I am glad that it was you who struck me down.
    May your strength... lead the horde... into a new era of prosperity..."

-General Nazgrim

Knock Knock: 7/10

Average movie, maybe slightly above average. The acting is great from both the girls and Keanu Reeves, I liked the girls evil behaviour and how the movie had somewhat of a message. Though its left to the viewer to figure out why the girls treated Keanu like that. Its not really scary, maybe a bit tense at times. And some really stupid moments like not even being able to overthrow the girls as a grown man. I kinda expected more from Eli Roth, but it was pretty enjoyable nonetheless.

Deleted
    Sicario 7/10

Too many shots of scenery that took up too much time. Has some great moments but feels oddly put together.

Mad Max - 10/10

Tend to despise action movies but this one was good. Regret not seeing it in the theater.

Black Mass (2015) - 7/10
    The acting is pretty good and enjoyable to watch, and there's some very good scenes, so I think it's a "good" movie. However, it's not super exciting or eye-opening to watch, I would even say it's a bit boring. Still, Johnny Depp and co. makes it worth a watch if you like biography/crime movies.

15+ Year Old Account
    Detachment

I'm not sure what I'd rate it but I liked it a lot. I've always respected teachers a lot, so a movie like this kinda made me cry. And it was still very relatable in a way. I feel like it might be one of those "forced tearjerker" movies but I am too intoxicated to care/notice. Very good movie.

okay maybe I'd rate it 9/10

15+ Year Old Account
    The Pianist - 8/10

It was a pretty good movie. When I found out it was a true story, I was a bit teary eyed. Wilm Hosenfeld was a good man.

No Country for Old Men (2007) - 9.5/10
    Very exciting movie, with minimal dialogue. Great actors, playing interesting characters.
    Especially Javier Bardem playing the role as Anton Chigurh carries this movie a lot.

Black Mass (2015) - 5/10

If your expecting a awesome gangster film......don't watch this movie it's a Fugazi.
    I Was hoping this movie was gonna be the next donnie brasco or something similar but its not.
    It's just a glorified bio-pic with big name actors....fuck u hollywood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Indeed, reminds me of the moral in The Dark Knight Rises.

Also, I thought The Martian was pretty darn realistic sci-fi, and if it's formulaic, then it can't mention much that isn't.
    bloke get left behind, amazingly manages to just get enough supplies to survive, a couple of disasters happen to put them in danger, but manages to stretch out supplies...over comes insanely complicate technical hurdles for miraculous rescue. Intersperse with a few lonely shots and some ironic comedy....

Its not bad, but its formulaic.

As for not realistic, its better than some <cough> Gravity <cough> interstellar <cough> but its hardly realistic. Also, despite the good acting from MD, it was an absurdly written character, no one is that chirpy if left alone for that long, it was a character straight out the 1980's "USA are great" propaganda films, the right stuff and all that... And it was mostly "I'll tell you about this disaster by exposition, then show you some amazing solution" it was pretty close to relying on repeated deus ex...

I think it would have benefited from more realistic reactions to provide counterpoint to the chirpy humour (which I think MD got spot on), and a bit less happening, but a bit more depth. Things just got skipped over so quickly they became irrelevant.

I think its a good movie, I really liked it. I'm just not jumping on the "wow thats so innovative and realistic" hype train.
    Last edited by mmoc3f25629bd0; 2015-10-14 at 06:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inside Out (2015): 9/10

Yeah this was pretty great, best animation movie since Toy Story 3, go watch it.

Dune (1984). 8/10

I only recently got around to reading the book and found out shortly afterwards that there was a movie. It's kinda hard to rate a movie that age, but I'd put it pretty high. I was actually kinda shocked to see that Patrick Stewart played Gurney Halleck, because I never really pictured Gurney looking like that at all.

But yeah, enjoyed it. Also: Patrick Stewart has the "Asian woman aging" thing going on.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-10-17 at 03:13 PM.

The Martian - Last Monday

7.5 out of 10.

It was good enough that I didn't even mind that the star was Matt Damon.

Spy. 8/10. Hilarious. Did exactly what it set out to do: make me laugh.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Dune (1984).

I only recently got around to reading the book and found out shortly afterwards that there was a movie. It's kinda hard to rate a movie that age, but I'd put it pretty high. I was actually kinda shocked to see that Patrick Stewart played Gurney Halleck, because I never really pictured Gurney looking like that at all.

But yeah, enjoyed it. Also: Patrick Stewart has the "Asian woman aging" thing going on.
    Patrick Stewart as Gurney? I gotta watch that!

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Nostalgic View Post
    Patrick Stewart as Gurney? I gotta watch that!
    Yep. When he made his first appearance in the movie, I was kinda blown away for a second like "Holy shit, is that Patrick Stewart?" I don't remember if the book really described Gurney's appearance, but I always pictured him as this huge, burly guy who....looked absolutely nothing like Patrick Stewart. :P

But yeah....Stewart did make a pretty awesome Gurney.

Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-10-15 at 10:18 PM.

P.S. I Love You - 10/10

Originally slow and the name and premise isn't too enticing but it was a great tear jerker. Never thought Gerard Butler was hot but he sure is now.

The number of Horror movies I'm catching on TV because it's Halloween month is astounding. But I'll leave those for another post, maybe.

A Haunted House. It's a spoof movie on Paranormal Activity. The humor really leans toward being black, but the whole movie was the kind of humor I like sooo yeah. I wouldn't recommend it as a family thing, it is a bit dirty. I'll give it a 6/10. There's like an extra 1.5 points there because I thought it mirrored paranormal activity well enough so if you haven't seen paranormal activity and aren't thinking of it in mind, it's only a 4.5/10.

A Haunted House 2. Another spoof of Paranormal Activity 2/3 + Sinister + A Haunting In Connecticut (I think. I saw bits of the movie on SciFy but didn't pay attention to the name). The situation feels a bit different and I actually think it's a bit slow in the first half on the comedy. If you can believe it, it's more wild than the first movie. (Not in a good way. The first one is wild to be funny, this is wild to show they're crazy. Not wild/bad enough that I'll detract points though.) The comedy is similar to the first so if you liked the first one, you really should see this too. But as a movie it's a bit worse. I'll give it 4.75/10. (It doesn't get bonus points for mirroring the movies it's spoofing well because it seems a bit random, kinda like Scary Movies 3+ where they try to get everything in.)

Btw Father Doug (Cedric the Entertainer) is like one of my favorite characters now. Clip of him.