Engineering and its use for melee in PvE and PvP

So, I wonder what's it all about with Engineering in Cata. I don't know if I should stick to this profession.

In what way is engineering useful in raids (without sideeffects, so leave nitro boots, the taunting shield, the suicide rocket belt etc. out, please) and what in pvp?

I see we got goggles with cogwheels which will be nice for the first raiding tier, but later on crap and moreover no option for pvp.

We got senseless glove enchants. The Intproc is nice, but doesn't really help melees since there is nothing like strength etc in it. It also shares a cooldown with trinkets, if I am not too wrong.. This shocker enchant seems to lie on a 2 minutes cooldown, which is also useless (and I assume it cannot be used in rated bg/arena).
    What at all can be used in rated bgs and arena? I heard that even the parachute stopped working.

So in all seriousness and in relation to raids and rated pvp, what is this profession good for in cata and why would for example jewelcrafting not be better? My second profession is BS and as far as I know, the extra sockets and gems from BS and JC can be put to use in any rated pvp area and grant a reliable stat boost.

I do not care about the engineering gimmicks, cuz I want to maximize my performance in raids and pvp and do not really care for a loot-a-rang and stuff like this.

I have yet to see what there is about engineering which would make up for the approximate loss of 80/81 statspoints which is delivered by profs like JC and Inscription for example.

Is there something I just don't know, are the professions not final yet or should I just happily drop it and pick up JC after I spend like tons of gold into this profession?

Edit: I see there's a similar thread going on. So let me focus on the pvp part here. I just don't see any advantage on the side of engineering when it comes to rated pvp.

---------- Post added 2010-12-03 at 11:07 PM ----------

I think I'll just drop engineering and go for JC -.-... Lack of information leads to affective deeds. Thanks Blizzard. As I thank you for Ret mechanic and human racials.. But that's a different story. I need to keep my nerdrage down.
    Last edited by JayJay09; 2010-12-03 at 12:48 PM.