Page 1 of 3
LastLast

CC role selection in dungeon finder please.

hey all, with cataclysm approaching and CC being needed once again I think we need to be able to select a new role in the dungeon finder which would be CC. basically you pick your main role, dps/heals/tank and if you have CC you select it and any group that needs CC you can get placed into.

what's your thoughts? do we desperately need this for cataclysm's release? how many people would need to be able to CC to make up your 5 man heroic group?

Good luck pugging those dungeons and heroics for the first month.

Is there any chance you could get a group without any kind of cc at all?
    I doubt it...
    This was what I thought about Locktanking before Scumbag Greg took it away

Envý - Kult der Schattenflamme

Quote Originally Posted by lancore89 View Post
    Is there any chance you could get a group without any kind of cc at all?
    I doubt it...
    Warrior tank
    Warrior Dps
    DK dps
    shadow priest
    healing priest

in an instance with no undead

anyway some people might not want to CC like tanks don't want to tank all the time, they should have the option imo.. CC'ing every single heroic might get about boring for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree you could get unlucky with group makeups and not have CC, but making an option for it will just encourage bads to select it to give them faster queue times (like ret tanking paladins or Enh healing shamans), so you wouldn't be better off if you had a mage in an instance who has no idea how to do anything except cast Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by evilgnomey View Post
    Warrior tank
    Warrior Dps
    DK dps
    shadow priest
    healing priest

anyway some people might not want to CC like tanks don't want to tank all the time, they should have the option imo.. CC'ing every single heroic might get about boring for them.
    You have 2 offtanks, one mind control, one offhealer and are complaining?
    Not every CC is in form of turning the enemy in some kind of cute critter. Kiting or letting a plate wearer offtank something does help. And Mind Control was by far the most powerful CC you can possible get, especially if you consider that the controled mob did way more damage then the priest...
    Last edited by lancore89; 2010-12-03 at 01:30 PM.
    This was what I thought about Locktanking before Scumbag Greg took it away

Envý - Kult der Schattenflamme

10+ Year Old Account
    hey all, with cataclysm approaching and CC being needed once again I think we need to be able to select a new role in the dungeon finder which would be CC. basically you pick your main role, dps/heals/tank and if you have CC you select it and any group that needs CC you can get placed into.

what's your thoughts? do we desperately need this for cataclysm's release? how many people would need to be able to CC to make up your 5 man heroic group?
    Or you could actually communicate with the others in your group like a human being (yes, even those in randoms). Whether we all like it or not, WoW is now a team game, and the developers are pushing towards that. I've never heard of a team that didn't speak to each other to plan what they were going to do, regardless of the sport.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by wg15 View Post
    Every class kan CC or kite now. There is no problem
    Chains is still useless in PvE.

not complaining, just wondering how the dungeon finder will work with CC being brought back, also MC won't work on elementals..

@ Hitsurugi: I always talk to my group, but not everyone is willing to communicate :/

this isn't a QQ post guys >.< i'm just curious.
    Last edited by evilgnomey; 2010-12-03 at 01:34 PM.

Not every CC is in form of turning the enemy in some kind of cute critter. Kiting or letting a plate wearer offtank something does help. And Mind Control was by far the most powerful CC you can possible get, especially if you consider that the controled mob did way more damage then the priest...
    Offtanking is a bad idea, plate wearers get totally raped by the mobs, and kiting CCs both the mob and the player. I play a cat druid(and holy pally/frost DK, but that doesn't matter), and I don't really know what CC I have in my spellbook, Roots? For melee mobs, sure, but why CC a melee mob? Usually the casters/healers are more CC-worthy. Cyclone? Woot for 10 seconds or whatever it is, that means I can do 1-2 attacks while in Cat form before having to recast 'clone. Do we still have Hibernate? Only beasts and dragonkin, and those are mostly just there so it looks more realistic, and don't hurt a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by wg15 View Post
    Every class kan CC or kite now. There is no problem
    Kite isn't usable on all mobs, and if it is, it still keeps both the player and the mob from doing anything productive.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Warrior tank
    Warrior Dps
    DK dps
    shadow priest
    healing priest

Well, prot warriors can stun and cc with intimidating shout, same for the dps warrior, dk chains of ice and silences, priests can mc.

You just need to be smart.

Quote Originally Posted by CptAwesome View Post
    Well, prot warriors can stun and cc with intimidating shout, same for the dps warrior, dk chains of ice and silences, priests can mc.

Chains is crap for PvE, 5 sec stuns or runaroundpullingmoremobs(aka fear) aren't great either. Silences are 5 sec as well, after that the casters still rape the tank with their arcane-mage-style spells
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

prot warriors use stuns as much as possible these days, people may not notice and the stuns only last for a short while. intimidating shout doesn't last long either and if you aren't glyphed for it it can pull more mobs. Mind control only works against humanoids and this expansion won't have that many humanoids in instances/raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    Chains is crap for PvE, 5 sec stuns or runaroundpullingmoremobs(aka fear) aren't great either. Silences are 5 sec as well, after that the casters still rape the tank with their arcane-mage-style spells
    Chains is fine, bad death knights/tanks are the problem. If you do the pull correctly it buys at least 5-6 seconds where the big melee mob isn't beating on the tank. You can glyph intimidating shout (and why not, it's a minor) so it works like psychic horror and doesn't pull adds.

And if you just think "oh well, dk silence has run out, nothing more we can do" then you are just bad and need to improve. The silence runs out, so you death grip it, that runs out so you interrupt it and pop AMS in case you miss. The shadow priest can also silence and the two warriors can interrupt/spell reflect, there are a ton of ways that group can control a caster.

Mind control only works against humanoids and this expansion won't have that many humanoids in instances/raids
    Were you in beta? Did you not run Grim Batol where humanoids abound? Or Halls of Origination/City of Tol'vir with the cat people? Or Throne of the Tides, the naga instance, or Blackrock Caverns full of orcs, or even The Stoncore with tons of cultists running around? The only instance your statement even half applies to is Vortex Pinnacle and even that has some humanoids, the rest are elementals which few classes can cc anyway.

Warrior tank
    Warrior Dps
    DK dps
    shadow priest
    healing priest

Does fear not count as a CC now?

Priests can Glyph their fear to keep the effected targets rooted effectively, and SP can spec Psychic Horror ...

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure if this becomes an issue Blizzard will address it one way or another. In the meantime, its really not worth speculating that people are going to be screwed. Prior to WotLK groups needed to have CC, classes that had limited CC would often improvise (warriors carrying a shield, or now perhaps taking a few talents in prot or off speccing prot for hard pulls.) If issues arise that effect game play, and the community can't find a viable solution on live, Blizzard will address it. But, for the first few months, anyone playing cata should understand there will be a learning/relearning curve.

and segregate classes even more? I don't think so.

Chains is fine, bad death knights/tanks are the problem. If you do the pull correctly it buys at least 5-6 seconds where the big melee mob isn't beating on the tank. You can glyph intimidating shout (and why not, it's a minor) so it works like psychic horror and doesn't pull adds.

And if you just think "oh well, dk silence has run out, nothing more we can do" then you are just bad and need to improve. The silence runs out, so you death grip it, that runs out so you interrupt it and pop AMS in case you miss. The shadow priest can also silence and the two warriors can interrupt/spell reflect, there are a ton of ways that group can control a caster.
    If the tank pulls mobs back, its because there is a risk of a patrol running into us, or fearing mobs into others. Using chains in such a situation is dumb, DG the mob? Sure, taunted the mob, get raped and the others have an even harder time. DK CC doesn't exist in PvE, sorry mate. Chaining a mob won't get you much, except if you kite it, which in itself is very unreliable and CCs botht the mob and the player. Silencing, sure, silence that World-go-BOOM spell or random heal, but it still has a 10 sec/2 min(not sure about the Strangulate CD, haven't played my DK for ages), and in that time the mob can just cast another heal/doomsday spell.

And all of these forms are far inferior to poly anyway, and most of those DK things don't matter much for me, because my DK is an alt now, and my druid(with even less CC) is my main. Seriously, Cyclone a mob for a few seconds is the same as stunning it, except that it gets immune for the duration, and I lose a load of damage, that might benefit the group more than having that one mob immune to everything for a few seconds.

EDIT:
    If Blizzard really want to make CC important again, they have to give every class a RELIABLE CC, like Polymorph or Repentance. A grounding fear effect would fit for a DK, lorewise, and some kind of roots that completely incapacitate the enemy would work pretty well for a druid. Warriors could get an incapacitate as well, because a stun would be OP in PvP, and nothing else than maybe a fear effect would fit.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2010-12-03 at 02:54 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Hunters would love this if it got them faster queue times.

That said, I don't plan on running any of the dungeons without 3 guild members for a long time.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

15+ Year Old Account
    Warrior tank
    Warrior Dps
    DK dps
    shadow priest
    healing priest

That group has two fears, and there is a glyph for Psychic Scream to make it work like a terrify so the mobs don't run bananas every which way.

You also have Psychic Horror, and two warrior fears.

It's called pull the mobs back far enough where fear should be more effective, and have fun.

Grats, your group has four CC classes. Oh, and a kiter.

Seriously, the only way you could possibly get a group with ZERO crowd control effects is to get a group of level 10 players. That's about it.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present