Thread: Cataclysm size?

Cataclysm size?

Hello. I was wondering, if someone can tell me, whats the size of wow cataclysm? Right now i am on 29 GB (patch 4.0.3a) and i have 45 GB total so i am not sure if that will be enough for cataclysm. Thx.

4.0.3a is pretty much the full size of Cataclysm.

My current WoW folder is only 23.6GB in size. That is not including the SS, WTF and Interface folders. Check and make sure you dont have any patch or downloader files in your base WoW directory, because those are not needed and can be deleted. Also, DO NOT delete the files from the Updates folder, as it will make you have to redownload them again when you start WoW.

Deleted
    I've found (after some experience with old installations on small hard drives), that you need 30ish gig of free space to not encounter any difficulties - bear i mind that if you're downloading a patch, that is in addition to your wow installation, and it also leaves itself in your directory as a backup. I think having another 16 gig of space should be adequate, though to save yourself future difficulties, I would suggest installing on a bigger hard drive (even a USB hard drive) to avoid any problems in the future, after all, the installation is only going to get bigger as future patches are released.

i was under the impression that 4.0.3a is the bulk of the expac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    i was under the impression that 4.0.3a is the bulk of the expac.
    I'm guessing that 4.0.3a didn't have any of the Cata raid/dungeon files, so that will probably be installed when you install Cata.

Deleted
    I believe most of it was downloaded in 4.0.3a and most of what is left for Blizzard to do is to lift the restrictions on the new zones.

$.0.3a IS CT, all you have to do is type in your product code to activate the account and *poof* you're in............................................supposedly

Quote Originally Posted by Zshadeslayer View Post
    $.0.3a IS CT, all you have to do is type in your product code to activate the account and *poof* you're in............................................supposedly
    If this was the case, then why do people who download the digital copy have to download the game still? There is probably 4-8gb to install yet is my guess. All the dungeon and raid stuff for Cata is not there.

So basically, I can delete all the old patch files? I.E. WoW 2.0.7 to 2.0.8 etc?

10+ Year Old Account
    Got 34.2GB with Cata Digital Copy, it shouldn't go up unless there's some minor hotfix patch before or at release.

Quote Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
    So basically, I can delete all the old patch files? I.E. WoW 2.0.7 to 2.0.8 etc?
    Yes, but not anything in the actual UPDATES folder itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeleena View Post
    Yes, but not anything in the actual UPDATES folder itself.
    Oh great, thanks!

Cata is only 700MB, I've downloaded it digitally.

Quote Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
    Oh great, thanks!
    Good rule of thumb to follow, is to delete files from the WoW directory, but keep them in your Recycle Bin (aka don't perm delete them yet) until you start up WoW and have no issues with the Launcher needing to download anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeleena View Post
    Good rule of thumb to follow, is to delete files from the WoW directory, but keep them in your Recycle Bin (aka don't perm delete them yet) until you start up WoW and have no issues with the Launcher needing to download anything.
    Yea, I just did that and it appeared I accidently deleted Blizz Updater file aswell. Glad I didnt perma-delete yet

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert View Post
    Got 34.2GB with Cata Digital Copy, it shouldn't go up unless there's some minor hotfix patch before or at release.
    About 10 GB of that is screenshots then? or outdated patch clients.

I just spoke with GM, he said that cataclysm only adds 3.5 GB.