Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhien View Post
    Protip: Nitro Boosts can't fail in raid combat.
    They sure as hell can, i died several times in icc due to that shit.

Yes, they can. Had it happen multiple times now since 4.0.3.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMBOSON View Post
    Have you seen the Helms and cogwheel "gems" I urge you to check them out before bashing engineering
    Cogwheel gems only fit inside the engineering helms, thus they will be useless when one can get t11

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draqn View Post
    This is nothing like that, and what does casuals have to do with engineering?
    Ofcourse you can't compare one nerf to another, it's the nobrainer that makes the nerfs similar from blizzards side. "Oh, i feel a little sorry for that poor kid i northern norway who's having a hard time to get some money. Sure the enchanters in azeroth don't mind giving him a little from their proffesions." and so it goes with engineering. "Oh, let's nerf some engineer's. Sure they wont mind being so god damn nerfed that they feel that the profession is no longer of any use either i pvp or pve." It's the same thing. Enchanting was picked by most because the moneymaking benefits, otherwise they could have chosen leatherworking, jc, or bs. engineering was chosen because it's a fun profession. Blizzard have destroyed the moneymaking in enchanting and the fun in engineering.

And btw, the statement of making the game more or less attractive goes for the entire game, not just professions.

Quote Originally Posted by Savlonbovril View Post
    Engineering is looking terrible for (particularly for melee classes).

In terms of engie's already poor moneymaking we get:
    1. a poor man's version of the mote collector which only collects "air" volatiles, and only if you have a gathering profession.
    2.Removal of hunter bullets and warrior gun etc...

In terms of tinkers:
    1. now useless in PVP
    2. a reduced number can be used
    3. The rocket boots have a practically 50% chance of killing you on use
    4. The only tinker which is comparable to other classes benefits (approx 80 of a primary stat) is the intellect one... there is nothing for melee dps. NO upgraded haste tinker and an awful version of the rocket gloves that translates to roughly 40dps (Tazik shocker).

NO new mounts. NO new wormhole generator. SAME meh goggles that can be made at 81 but req level 85 drops of a chaos orb. They are also barely better than some of the hc helms and will be replaced instantly by first raid tier.

This will all be justified under the blanket term of "fun" and "fun" cant be quantified, so engineering can be as crap as blizz likes and there is nothing that can be done.

On the plus side it will still be competitive for casters. It however has no benefits in pvp anymore (which is probably how it should be as it shouldn't be required proff) and is only competitive in pve for classes using intellect.
    You couldn't of said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikatrap View Post
    Yes, they can. Had it happen multiple times now since 4.0.3.
    That's the stupidest change ever then. They used to not be able to fail in raid combat but still had a very high chance of failing out of combat.

Protip: they can now... get your facts straight. This was changed last patch.

Frag belt is amazing, if you click it of course you're going to complain. Every spell/ability with a targetting reticle needs to be bound so you can already be mousing over where you want to throw it. The damage isn't what makes it good either its the incapacitate.

Boots I'll still use regardless of what it does.

Mind cap never used.

Haste gloves/rocket gloves... enough said?

Engineering pets and mounts are good gold too (I made over 100k gold selling Mechano-hogs/choppers over the course of 2 months(A further 90k gold from Jewelcrafting)

You lose 40% of your hp if it fails, which is pretty bad in a situation as say LK heroic.

Trying to rocket boost to the adds with the plague and then you get shot up in the air and it dont get dispelled and you die.

Many more situations now.

i hear scopes are going to be useful in cataclysm, but sure.. go ahead and drop engineering :P

Why does everyone bring up the cogwheels? Has it not been pointed out to death that they are there to give the engineer control over what secondary stats their goggles have? Cogwheels are for customization, and nothing more. Unless we get upgraded cogwheels/goggles, you will not use them past the first tier of raiding. Even then, it is not a perk.

On topic, however, I think that we all need to remember that Engineering has always been the worthless profession. Until WotLK, we could make very little money with it, the bonuses were nigh-upon nonexistent, and it was all around a terrible profession. The only people who would have taken engineering to be competitive were rogues and hunters, and that was only for wipe-recovery. We took Engineering not because we could make money, not because it made us do better in raids, but because it was fun.

We are STILL better off than we were originally. Are we as good as we were in WotLK? No, but that's fine. Engineers have always sat through the short end of professions, and if becoming slightly worse than we were the previous expansion is enough to make you quit, then good riddance. We have gadgets that malfunction, and we deal with it. Let's just take this as a malfunction and go from there.

Um.. you guys are forgetting one crucial point:

Engineering items have a massively increased chance to fail on characters below level cap. Level cap is now 85. You're all only level 80.

The tinkers will once again have a 0% chance to fail as soon as we hit 85.

Relax.

There are these things called engineer cogwheels. On top of the general "fun" flavor of the profession, blizz is incorporating those to do fun things for the profession. Do more research before you QQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelden View Post
    There are these things called engineer cogwheels. On top of the general "fun" flavor of the profession, blizz is incorporating those to do fun things for the profession. Do more research before you QQ.
    Read the replys above your post concerning cogwheels and then try trolling me again, and at least have more than 500 posts before I take you seriously.

---------- Post added 2010-12-05 at 02:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ripkit View Post
    Um.. you guys are forgetting one crucial point:

Engineering items have a massively increased chance to fail on characters below level cap. Level cap is now 85. You're all only level 80.

The tinkers will once again have a 0% chance to fail as soon as we hit 85.

Relax.
    And thats great to hear, I might actually keep engineering then.

I know. I'll admit I was worried until I heard this as well.

I was under the assumption that Engi didn't benefit melee that much in PVE seemingly in Cata. However I do know, for casters its got the most PP of all the professions for them. Their glove enchant at 85 is so sexy. 400 sp beats out all the rest. Not sure what all melee got from the new 85 tinkers but my Shadow Priest is loving em.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Savlonbovril View Post
    NO new mounts. NO new wormhole generator. SAME meh goggles that can be made at 81 but req level 85 drops of a chaos orb. They are also barely better than some of the hc helms and will be replaced instantly by first raid tier (yes even including the "amazing" engineer gems...).
    Let's compare; Shaman T11 helm: Headpiece of the Raging Elements
    Mail intellect Engineering goggles: Energized Bio-Optic Killshades

T11 has, if we assume an Int/Haste orange gemfor convenience;
    +188 Haste
    +228 Mastery

Before we consider Cogwheels.

Cogwheels are +208 of a stat. So really, we're looking at +20 Mastery and -20 Haste, which is a wash, and -10 Intellect on the socket bonus.

10 Intellect is the difference. It's hardly a huge deal. And quite possibly leaves the goggles better off than anything BUT tier in that slot. Helm of the Nether Scion looks like our only other real option. Unless I need the hit rating on the helm (which isn't available on the tier, I might add), the goggles look to be a close second best. If the other tier is similarly better in its slot, this is a straight boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Let's compare; Shaman T11 helm: Headpiece of the Raging Elements
    Mail intellect Engineering goggles: Energized Bio-Optic Killshades

T11 has, if we assume an Int/Haste orange gemfor convenience;
    +188 Haste
    +228 Mastery

Before we consider Cogwheels.

Cogwheels are +208 of a stat. So really, we're looking at +20 Mastery and -20 Haste, which is a wash, and -10 Intellect on the socket bonus.

10 Intellect is the difference. It's hardly a huge deal. And quite possibly leaves the goggles better off than anything BUT tier in that slot. Helm of the Nether Scion looks like our only other real option. Unless I need the hit rating on the helm (which isn't available on the tier, I might add), the goggles look to be a close second best. If the other tier is similarly better in its slot, this is a straight boost.
    And another point to consider in your post is the actual Gem that you're putting in the Gem Slot. Between the gem and the slot bonus, you gain another 50 Int and 20 Haste on the Helm.

So your Goggles has +20 Haste at the cost of -20 Mastery and -30 Int.

Not even close to be worth basing an ENTIRE profession around.

Maybe if the Goggles had a Prismatic socket as well as the Cogs, then it'd be NEARLY equal to T11.

Edit: Ignore me, completely wrong. +20, -20 and -10.
    Last edited by Mixxy; 2010-12-05 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Fix'd poor math

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Engineering is currently the best PvE DPS profession for casters, but awful for melee. I have a feeling they're going to change the Tazik Shocker glove enchant though, as the current implementation is so bad that it's actually worse that Pyro Rockets.
    Narfwak - Elemental Shaman
    <FH>
    Black Dragonflight-US

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rfwak/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Narfwak View Post
    Engineering is currently the best PvE DPS profession for casters, but awful for melee. I have a feeling they're going to change the Tazik Shocker glove enchant though, as the current implementation is so bad that it's actually worse that Pyro Rockets.
    This. As a Melee DPS main with Engineering, I feel fucking ripped off with this. I really hope someone at Blizz pulls his head out of his ass long enough to realize that Engineering still needs some serious work.