Thinking of returning

So I stopped playing in February, but now that cata is coming out Blizz has once again almost sucked me back in -_-. I have an 80 priest and 80 mage, my mage is herbalist and miner because my priest is alchemy and jewlecrafting and was my main. It looks like a lot has changed for both classes I was just wondering if leveling mining and herbalism has gotten any easier? aka if i dropped them is it still the same leeling them back up on an alt? And what are profs you guys would recomend for a mage. I was thinking enchanting and engineering. And how do mages look at the moment compared to other classes, i dont know how they did this to me but ill probably come back yet again lol. Thanks and cheers

I would go with mining and engineering, engineering is fun and mining is profitable.

When you loot an herb or mining node, your character now gains experience. It makes it very, very nice to level as a lowbie. Also, they changed tracking so that you can track multiple things at one-- so, you can take mining/herbing on one alt, and be able to track both types of nodes.

Also, they have changed what herbs/minerals spawn in what places, and it seems a LOT more streamlined/organized, and it's much easier to level or powerlevel.

Mages are looking GREAT right now for PvE and PvP.

Enchanting is a great profession for self bonuses, and engineering is a lot of fun, but some of the possible harmful effects of the toys have gotten a bit out of hand, and it makes them less desirable to use, because the risk does not equal the reward. If you aren't worried about mats, Jewelcrafing should still be a great moneymaker in Cata.

Engineering and JC are the top two at 85, all other non-gathering professions are then tied for third.

I'd say leveling gathering professions is mostly the same in terms of time spent on the actual professions, though the exp and double tracking may make it slightly less painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    When you loot an herb or mining node, your character now gains experience. It makes it very, very nice to level as a lowbie. Also, they changed tracking so that you can track multiple things at one-- so, you can take mining/herbing on one alt, and be able to track both types of nodes.

Also, they have changed what herbs/minerals spawn in what places, and it seems a LOT more streamlined/organized, and it's much easier to level or powerlevel.

Mages are looking GREAT right now for PvE and PvP.

Enchanting is a great profession for self bonuses, and engineering is a lot of fun, but some of the possible harmful effects of the toys have gotten a bit out of hand, and it makes them less desirable to use, because the risk does not equal the reward. If you aren't worried about mats, Jewelcrafing should still be a great moneymaker in Cata.
    Uhhh, mages are looking far from great. Arcane being nearly unusable in the first tier of raiding, fire not having enough crit to proc hot streaks, and even frost possibly suffering mana issues/ yea, sounds fantastic to me

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd View Post
    Engineering and JC are the top two at 85, all other non-gathering professions are then tied for third.

I'd say leveling gathering professions is mostly the same in terms of time spent on the actual professions, though the exp and double tracking may make it slightly less painful.
    Well my priest is a JC and Alchemist, would it make sense to do JC again? Im thinking possibly Mining and Engineering then and levleing herbalism on another alt who is in his 60s but i was to get to 85 at some point anyway, choices choices, thanks though