To Quest / Level with a friend, or not to?

So myself and a friend are trying for server first Shaman and Warlock on our lonely small pop server.

My friend really wants to just group and do the quests together. I am trying to figure out if it's faster to do them separate or together.
    We will obviously be soloing a mob each, near each other, so we will get kill quests done 2x as fast, but not gathering (normal rate). I am just wondering if anyone has any solid proof / math / experience on which is better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SensenmanN View Post
    So myself and a friend are trying for server first Shaman and Warlock on our lonely small pop server.

My friend really wants to just group and do the quests together. I am trying to figure out if it's faster to do them separate or together.
    We will obviously be soloing a mob each, near each other, so we will get kill quests done 2x as fast, but not gathering (normal rate). I am just wondering if anyone has any solid proof / math / experience on which is better.
    You just answered your own question. Kill quests go ~twice as fast, and gathering ones go normal. Oh, and elite quests are faceroll.

Level together.

Doing quest together are much better and easier

From what I read from WotLK, Instance grinding was the fastest, but you would need more people. Or like Nym? did it, just had a healer ungrouped keep him up as he chained pulled mobs.

I personally quest level much faster then instance level.

10+ Year Old Account
    You will probably do better together, especially once you get to Deepholm and beyond where mobs are very powerful and being able to take them down as a team should be much quicker (faster kills plus less downtime).

You'll level MUCH faster alone, but have more fun in a group.

One thing I want to mention: Make sure you are both on the same page about reading quest text. If one of you wants to take time and read the new quests, and the other wants to keep chugging away...you've got a conflict.

Otherwise, everybody has said it, really: You have more fun in a group, and will kill mobs faster.

Quote Originally Posted by CT001 View Post
    You'll level MUCH faster alone, but have more fun in a group.
    Not that I doubt you, but you seem to be the only person who disagrees Any reason why you think alone is faster?

For those who say grp is best, I and leaning that way also. We will not earn any noticeable amount more XP per kill with 2, but the XP will be split between 2, so we have to kill 2 mobs in the time it take to kill 1 for most peps. I am planning on having us stick near-ish to each other, but solo mobs. The only time I think this might be hard is in the starting zone (Hjyal for me, you guys have any preferences? I've heard hyjal is better than Vash.) if we have trouble finding mobs, it will slow us down, though that would be the same issue solo.

---------- Post added 2010-12-05 at 07:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by digitelanimefan View Post

Otherwise, everybody has said it, really: You have more fun in a group, and will kill mobs faster.

We both want server first, so no quest reading and shit, lol. We both have flask, potions (DPS and healing) fish feast, and scrolls ready to go.

Can anyone tell me where the Hyjal portal is in Org? I'm guessing its the thing that looks like a portal in the Valley of Wisdom.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Two is usually better than one. You will experience less downtime and faster kills, but I'm not so sure about the gathering quests though.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldout View Post
    Two is usually better than one. You will experience less downtime and faster kills, but I'm not so sure about the gathering quests though.
    Should be the same speed, not less, as long as we don't run out of mobs to kill. If we do though, it will be slower.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont have solid proof or math but i do have some experience leveling.

a group can be the best way to level if you plan your quests

1.-go for the kill quest so they go faster
    2.-try to avoid the collect X amount of items because you canabilize each others drops
    3.-go for dificult quest by that i mean forget green and gray quest and only do yellow to open the story and more quests(most exp)
    4.-move to the next area as soon as you can (got quest to send you the next area)

Duo is better except if:
    1) If the other person will slow you down (takes longer to vendor junk, reads quest text slowly)
    2) The other person is not a good player
    3) You are not on the same page for quests to complete (i.e. he joins you and you're already 1/2 done with an area)
    4) The other person has a slow mount and you have a fast mount

Otherwise, Duo benefits:
    1) Faster kill quests
    2) Can do group quests
    3) A friend to BS with while you level
    4) Perhaps a dungeon que or two while you level, the other person might help you que faster (if they are tank or heals).. or at least you know you have 1 good dps or your tank/heals are good (hopefully) if the other person is one of those roles...

I personally am leveling with a priest, good shadow skills for questing.. and good healing skills for dungeons if needed.. and I'm a tank / offspec ret...

10+ Year Old Account
    Questing in group is faster for mob kills quests but slower for loot quests. It's also slower when waiting for your partner to finish his quest or to take the new quests. If you hit realm first questing with a partner , gratz. It takes a lot of patience and coordination between the partners. I still think questing alone is faster.