Thread: Best Pet?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Best Pet?

Hi!
    As a MM Hunter, what would be the best leveling pet from 80-85 to start off with? I use a simple Wolf ATM. Should I replace it for something else? What do you think .

Thanks in advance ;-)

The best pet is whatever is best for your raid comp. I use this flowchart:
    http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4753
    to determine what pet I need for raiding. My raid happens to need the debuff that my ravager provides, so I use him.

As far as leveling is concerned, I would recommend a good tanking pet, or a spirit beast for the heal. If you don't want to camp for a spirit beast, then a good bear or turtle is fine. It's whatever you're most comfortable with or think is prettiest, ultimately.

Deleted
    So I should go with a pet made for tanking, and which one I choose isnt much of a diffrence?

Cat. Nothing other can compare with that buff. Plus it will scale as you lvl.

I would not go with tanking pet. At least not at the start. You have MD for threat issues and at first lvls mobs are going down fast according to the lot of reports

Deleted
    So cat's r ATM better than Wolfs or?

I agree with Odayaka, for levelling best pet is always going to be tanking pet, if you're MM it won't make a difference between turtle, bear, gorilla, etc. I personally recommend going BM for levelling as you can get T-rex, core hound, etc. to tank for you with much better buffs. As MM you will prolly pull aggro more likely then you would as BM

Deleted
    This leads me to another question, what specc will be best as leveling in Cata? Is it MM,Surv or BM?
    And what do you think is the best, Cat, Bear ... ?

You will pull aggro? C'mon dont speak bullshit. http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/57004/g...-misdirection/

And there are at least 5 threads about best lvling spec...

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty much this^^^ if you dont wanna level as BM but if you want the ultimate leveling experience, i recommend BM with said glyph for questing and survival with either a wolf or cat for dungeons. thats what i will be doing at least. MM is pretty gimped atm but blizz will probly buff it in a patch or 2

----------------------------------------
    you are now consciously breathing
    ----------------------------------------

My hunter is getting benched in cata for the most part (After having been my main in WOTLK) but from what thought I have put into it:

Ferocity pets are only a slight DPS increase, particularly for a non-BM person soloing. The only one I'd use for leveling is a spirit beast for the heal

Glyphing MD more or less makes threat a non-issue, so tenacity pets are less attractive there to me. I'd use a crab for the pinch ability.

Personally when I level I'll probably end up using a cunning pet, likely my spider, for the web plus roar of recovery when I get in a pinch. I like bullheaded as well - a pvp trinket for your pet if it gets CC'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely Cat for levelling, that buff is awesome. It should be fine for tanking, just make sure you have a tenacity pet just in case.

I personally use a tanking pet (a gorilla or turtle depending on how I feel) not because of threat issues, but for their health. Tanking pets have the ability to have ridiculous amounts of health, so I can gather up 6-8 mobs, toss up a mend pet and use multi-shot and explosive trap to aoe them down.

basically any pet will be good for leveling In any spec.

For leveling I'm definitely going with a Tenacity pet. More effective healing, better aggro, better survivability. It doesn't matter which tenacity pet, but the ones that negate damage (bear, turtle) are my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Odayaka View Post
    The best pet is whatever is best for your raid comp. I use this flowchart:
    to determine what pet I need for raiding.
    I think that as BM you need 2 raiding pets that you switch every 10 minutes. Once you used the Core Hound buff on a boss you switch to a pet with a permanent buff (Shale Spider, Cat, Spirit Beast or Wolf), and after 10 minutes you can use your Core Hound on another boss. And with a mage or shaman you still need your core hound. As far as I know Ancient Hysteria doesn't share a cooldown with Heroism / Blood Lust.
    Last edited by XAmsterdamX; 2010-12-06 at 02:05 PM.

If you're killing one at a time, or even just a couple, find a pet that gives a buff you like.

If you're killing many at a time, or expect to be fighting sub-bosses, go with a tank pet.

I personally go with tank pets, and leveling as BM, when solo. I go SV when leveling with buds.

i'm not sure why everyone isnt rocking a chimpanzee that flings poo and blinds fools.

I'm using my cat for leveling + missdirection glyph + BM Specc
    For group quests or hard hitting mobs I use my turtle.
    Works pretty well.

I've been levelling with a Bear myself, it can tank pretty much anything easily and does decent damage on its own.

I use my grizzly bear or ancient turtle most often right now, and switch to my worg in instances (there's always a DK rocking the agi/sta buff, so hooray 5% crit). Been playing SV more than BM so far even when solo: with the Glyph of Misdirection my pet can hold aggro on whatever I want it to, and SV mows down single targets as well as large packs in seconds.

If I ever run a dungeon as BM on a whim, I use my spirit beast (Loque'nahak).

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I've been levelling with a Bear myself, it can tank pretty much anything easily

You can say that again. I tried soloing some of the easier pulls in BRC with my bear. He barely took a scratch.
    Dual Wielding: Equipping one weapon in each hand. Utilized by enhancement shamans, warriors, rogues, DK's, hunters.
    Duel Wielding: Equipping a rabid feral gnome in each hand and watching them inevitably tear each other into little gnome bits. Utilized by bored tauren warriors and also frequently by forum posters who can't spell "Dual Wielding."