Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Well, keep in mind it isn't so much "if you have trouble staying alive" but having access to as many tools as possible to keep yourself at a safe hp. Picking a subspec for blood tanking is asking yourself what would you have more of, survivability (frost) or threat (unholy). If you don't have any threat issues (you shouldn't) then why would you not get more survivability?

Sure, you may only use Lichborne/Death Coil heals once in a great while when you have no other tank CDs available, but when that happens, and it saves a wipe, it was 100% worth having over some extra threat that ultimately wouldn't increase your groups overall rdps. Just my 2 cents.

Unholy sub also offers superior DpS. More personal DpS without suffering raid DpS = better raid DpS

As cookie cutter, Lichborne is a bad thing. To efficiently use it, you need to plan ahead which is usually not something that easy for players that are new to the class or don't "live and breathe" DK tanking. They'd fare a lot better with a Unholy Subspec. (though we shouldn't further derail this thread anymore and move the discussion about tanking to the tanking sticky)

I have only ever used it to heal my ghoul when i am soloing bc heroics or something and honestly never have a need for it anywhere else.

its a 2min cd to get a few death coil heals up, EACH DEATH COIL HEALS FOR 10 K. THATS ALOT. get it. its worth it.

#showtooltip death coil
    /cast [target=self] death coil

makes it easyer

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkatsu View Post
    lol at so many people saying it's not possible... we REALLY need an IQ test added to part of the registration process.

Yes, you can heal with Death Coil.

You need to have Lichborne which is a Tier 2 talent in the Frost Tree.

Most people have it macro'd as follows:

#showtooltip Lichborne
    /cast !Lichborne;
    /cast [target=player] Death Coil
    awesome macro Ikkatsu, literally turns it into another spammable emergency button

Quote Originally Posted by Mithan View Post
    What conditions need to be in place to heal yourself with Death Coil?

Thanks.
    You need the talent Lichborne which turns you undead. Then you will be able to use the death coil for heals. I use the minor glyph of death embrace which reduces the cost of death coil when used as a heal by 20.

i used lichborne while lvlling, and even tho i killed mobs pretty fast at 84, i would still take alot of damage, and deathcoil heals for over 10k each coil. and with the glyph, (50% RP cost on it) you can get alot of HP back. it was really handy to have each 2 min. saved me for alot of eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Harakan View Post
    there isn't really anything worth taking for a tank in the frost and unholy tree, Death Coil seems to hit in cata for around 30k when healing (non crit) and
    So wrong. Id love to see a blood dk with all talent points thrown into the blood tree. Really shows how bad players are (+ Dc heal for 30k in beta? currently 27k with non glyphed vp, 30k seems a bit high without vp activated)

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jchG0s...oZ0h:Ro0samzmM