Deleted

Smile Priesnt Glyphs: Are they Useless?

Ok so heres the deal, i am currently leveling a priest and its at 78 (yes its a gnome).

I was just wondering, am i the only one who thinks Priest Glyphs need revising? i mean most of them are quite useless or maybe i haven't had the raid experience as a priest to fully appreciate them?

I would like help in this matter as i am currently a Disc/Shadow at the moment, although i liked holy, i am doing a lot of PvP to level.

Hope that all made sense

EDIT: sorry for title misspelling, its quite late lol
    Last edited by mmoce727bbc804; 2010-12-06 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    Which ones do you think are useless?
    85 Priest/72 Druid/85 Mage/24 Shaman/56 Paladin

TBH and a bit away from the OP, the whole Glyph system is a joke. In no way does it "customize" your character anymore. EVERY class/spec has the same cookie cutter build. Untill Blizz add alot more glyphs for each spec it will remain a joke.

Deleted
    Flash heal, Power word: Shield, Holy Nova, Smite (note sure why you would smite when you have a dps tree), Dispel Magic, Divine Accuracy, Fade, Inner Fire, Mass Dispel, Scourge Imprisonment and Shadow Protection.

In shadow spec i have no idea what major glyphs to get apart from spirit tap, which will almost be useless come raiding :S

Honestly they should fix the glyph slot availability order for leveling. First 3 set of Prime/Major/Minor's unlocked at 25, next set unlocks at 50, and the last set's only available at 75. The whole SW: Death with Spirit Tap is stupid, you need 2 slots just for it to work, so you can't use Glyph of Mind Flay, or SW: Pain, or Smite (if you are holy) for leveling until space frees up at level 50.

The only other thing I wish they would change is Glyph of Guardian Spirit, the new version is not usable as a regular tank cooldown. Now you actually have to save it for the real oh-shit moment.

They should also add Glyph of Aspiration or something of the sort, reduce cooldown of Pain Suppression, PI, and Barrier by 20%. One of the only talent that got completely left out from the tree, and an important one to say the least.

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

Quote Originally Posted by Xelaeno View Post
    Honestly they should fix the glyph slot availability order for leveling. First 3 set of Prime/Major/Minor's unlocked at 25, next set unlocks at 50, and the last set's only available at 75. The whole SW: Death with Spirit Tap is stupid, you need 2 slots just for it to work, so you can't use Glyph of Mind Flay, or SW: Pain, or Smite (if you are holy) for leveling until space frees up at level 50.

The only other thing I wish they would change is Glyph of Guardian Spirit, the new version is not usable as a regular tank cooldown. Now you actually have to save it for the real oh-shit moment.

They should also add Glyph of Aspiration or something of the sort, reduce cooldown of Pain Suppression, PI, and Barrier by 20%. One of the only talent that got completely left out from the tree, and an important one to say the least.
    Because you barely notice the difference of Mind flay and SW:Pain glyph while levelling. At least it doesn't make such a big difference as Spirit Tap. Soo, at least for prime glyphs there are *just enough* choices. (Not going on the topic that there is no real choice in glyphs for any class).
    The problem that there are not really good major and especially minor glyphs is not priest specific. But shadow priests are really gimped on major glyphs. Minors are generally speaking worthless with the exception of a few classes who have fun ones, or so many utility ones that it is actually a choice (shaman)
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree wholeheartedly, there are plenty of glyphs for priests of any spec.
    You are just looking for glyphs that increase your dps/healing directly, and thats not the design intended for the glyph system.
    Shadow has 4 possible prime glyphs, pain, mindflay, death and dispersion. Many classes only have 3 possible prime (see warriors). Disc has 5, and holy has 5 aswell.
    For major you have dozens, inner fire, mass dispell, horror, spirit tap, fade (considered mandatory by top dps spriests), psychic scream turns the ability into a realiable CC for 5mans. All of them are situational? Of course they are, thats what they are meant to be. Some of them are fantastic pvp glyphs. And none of them is meant to be a dps increasing glyph.
    Now, you didnt spec on 2 out of 5 active abilities from your class, and expect to have many glyph options?

Thats wrong. Untalented it is 3min CD, same cd as abilities like last stand (+30% health for 20s) or frenzied regeneration (+30% health for 20s and either +30% healing taken or 3% health healing per second).
    Talented it goes for 2 min and 30 seconds, the only tanking cooldown shorter than this is shield wall (-40% damage taken for 12s), all other cooldowns are 3 minutes or longer, or are just short mitigation cds (barkskin, divine protection), that mitigate only 20% damage. You have a powerful tool on a somewhat short CD.
    Pain suppression is a 40% mitigation on 3 minutes cd, and its considered a really strong cooldown. Now they also have barrier that adds another 30% for 10 seconds on 2 minutes cd. If you take those numbers into consideration, glyphed guardian spirit is really strong, and if you think its only used on "oh shit" situations, you are doing it wrong, as tanks also use cooldowns on "oh shit" situations when they dont know when to use them.
    To sum up, all priest external cooldowns are balanced with tank cooldowns.

Its just not overpowered as before, that allowed +40% healing every minute.
    Last edited by shadowkras; 2010-12-06 at 08:08 AM.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

but as it's an oh shit button, how many times is a 30 second CD reduction going to help?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexio View Post
    but as it's an oh shit button, how many times is a 30 second CD reduction going to help?
    As many times as the "oh shit" button is needed I'd wager. As said guardian spirit is useful and it means using and not triggering it's a waste.

Priest glyphs are IMO fine, just not terribly interesting and situational. At least now there's more choices for disc priests other than penance, PW:S and... a blank.

but for the glyph to be useful, you'd have to need it in the 30 second window between 2:30 and 3:00 after you last used it...and as we're now suggesting it's not a use on CD button, that really limits the usefulness of the glyph

Deleted
    The amount of glyphs and there strength is fine for priests.
    They are on the same lvl as other classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you need more than one "oh shit" button, chances are you are going to fail anyway.

Want to compare guardian spirit to shaman's cooldown?

but for the glyph to be useful, you'd have to need it in the 30 second window between 2:30 and 3:00 after you last used it...and as we're now suggesting it's not a use on CD button, that really limits the usefulness of the glyph
    Who says that? You? We can take your word on that? No, didnt think so. But what makes you think we have to use it everytime its up?

The deal with tank cooldowns is that they are meant to be used when you know they are necessary, they arent "oh shit" buttons. You use it when you know the tank will take a heavy beating, or when the raid will take a heavy beating and you have to help healing everybody, making tanks get less focused by healers, that way, any amount of healing on tank will help to keep him alive. Good tanks KNOW this, and they use their cooldowns to help aswell, as much as necessary on the fight, because thats how blizzard balances those encounters.

If you only use cooldowns when the tank is about to die, you are wasting half of their potential. And if you use it everytime its up, you are wasting it completely, just to boost your healing meters.
    Think about it, would a warrior use shield wall and last stand everytime they are up just to reduce overall damage taken during the fight? Or use them when he knows he will take extra damage or his healers are busy?
    Last edited by shadowkras; 2010-12-06 at 05:00 PM.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Dont forget, at 85 with health pools being so huge, the "Oh shit" moments will hopefully be a little less, you can rotate damage cooldowns to prevent incoming damage that needs to be healed. The damage reducing cooldowns can also be looked at as cooldowns for mana conservation.

I really think we need a chance to get the 81+ skills, huges health pools, limited mana, and new coefficients (no more 76% crit) and then evaluate what works. Right now, we are just a bunch of bored people looking for something to discuss, without actually seeing in action on a live server.