The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

12 boss raid vs 5 boss raid

Was wondering something. I've read a lot of posts where ppl said long raids with 12 bosses such as ICC is bad and they hate it. We get to cata and blizz creates 3 smaller raids instead of one big one. The question I have is, why does everyone hate long raids such as ICC? Having 3 small raids with a total of 15 bosses isn't to much of a difference compared to one large one with 12 bosses. I don't see a difference in it really. If your guild raids 3 nights a week, in ICC you might do: First wing and Plague wing on night one, Blood and Frost wing on night 2, and do LK on night three. In cata we now have 3 small raids so we do one raid instance each night. How is either way better? You still spend about the same amount of time raiding, so cutting raid times down isn't a reason why. So what is the other side of the story as to why ppl don't like large raids compared to a couple smaller ones?

10+ Year Old Account
    Couple of things.

1) Lockouts. 3 different lockouts, if you missed a guild raid you can join another run easily because you ain't saved at all.
    2) Different raids feel different. I don't know, after a couple months I got really fed up of Icecrown's look, I guess 3 raids kinda help that.

it all comes down to Flexability and a sense of closure in having completed the entire raid. Also, 3 seperate raids means 3 seperate areas each with it's own unique look and feel as opposed to a single large zone that has the same (or similar) scenery and theme all around you the entire trip through it.
    This signiture is brought to you by the letters F and U, and the number 2.

"I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of the raid's $359.76 says know your role."

Remember the Tempest Keep & Serpenshrine Caverns days? Best days in my memory. They were awesome. Just awesome. I don't know what else to say realy.

1 big long raid tends to easily get boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
    2) Different raids feel different. I don't know, after a couple months I got really fed up of Icecrown's look, I guess 3 raids kinda help that.
    This is a big deal.

Or for me, my guild raids only on friday. Sometimes something comes up and people can log on for a saturday night, but we typically bank one night of raiding, 3-4 hours. This makes it really nice to be able to see content and complete it based off of our own merits downing bosses, rather than being able to raid more than once a week. Not to mention it helps if a member wants to pug something else that week. It's always tough with pugs going more than so many bosses, this helps round that out.

one long raid clearance : accomplishment
    one short raid clearance: accomplishment

It's probably mostly to do with the lockout changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Romir View Post
    one long raid clearance : accomplishment
    one short raid clearance: accomplishment
    But for those on certain time restraints, short raids are a great thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    People don't like being in the same place for months.
    "Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. The more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have."
    -Thomas Hildern

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Change of scenery is the biggest reason. Also, doing the same zone over the better part of a year sucks, no matter how good or bad it may of been at the start.

the reason is for people that have a life outside of wow and dont have 4 -6 hours a night 2-4 nights a week to raid due to school or a job the next morning. plus i think we all saw with icc is blows huge ass only have one good raid at a time, what they are doing is giving 3 raids so you feel more accomplished every raid night, so say in blackwing descent we down 4/5 its much more enjoyable to see we downed 4/5 rather than it all being one raid and saying we downed 4/15, also the raid lock outs. it keeps people entertained for a lot longer when there are multiple raids to do such as in vanilla where you had BWL, MC, AQ 20 and 40, and Naxx. it gives the ability to break the monotony. i can say personally say that icc went on way too long having one raid as the main raid for a full year is ridiculous, i dont count RS as main content cus it was easy and a waste of time.

The thought of doing 4/12, then 6/12 for weeks because of failing pugs, then jump to 11/12 when joining an guild is not so attractive. I love everything about the cata raids.

The change of scenery is always nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Orumis View Post
    People don't like being in the same place for months.
    Come on, that argument has no meaning. I would guess that a very high percentage of players (+95%) play in the same spot every day. So they are in their room for months (years) and even then they are still in Azeroth for months (years).
    If players dont want to be in the same place, take a break from the game, go play bioshock or something, thats a completely new zone.... the living room.

Before anyone rages about me, I have no qualms being in the same place for months, because I take breaks and whatnot. I have been raiding since MC and never had a complaint about "Needing" a different scenery.

Maybe guilds need to have some fun if the raid at hand gets dull. Go steamroll a lower level instance, beat sunwell, BWL, MC! Go for achievments instead of loot. There is a ton of stuff a guild/player can do if they want.

i think its a great idea to have different raids ofc the 1st few weeks of raiding you try all the raids but then you pick you are better at and it takes you a few weeks to kill it, and then you move on and on again so it cane take you like 3/4 months or so just to the bosses once, So you wont get bored :P

More places, more fun.
    Not clearing a raid because it just takes too long, not fun.