Launcher and repair tools are not working.

This was posted in the wow tech support forums, but they never replied so I thought I might help my gf by posting this here and hopefully someone can give some advice.

Been downloading the full game (WoW-4.0.0-WOW-enGB-Installer.exe) a couple of times now, download went fine, installing as well.

launcher doesnt work, error msg:

blizzard launcher must be in the same folder as a blizzard game. Run repair to get more information about this problem

repair doenst work, error msg:

Repair is unable to find your WoW installation. Please run this repair tool from your WoW directory

running on Win XP (even did a clean install)
    installed the latest IE8 and adobe flashplayer as suggested on the forums
    had no virusscanner on
    had no firewall on

I can play the game, but it wont do new patches, hotfixes unless i download it all again
    and that cant really be the solution to this,

if anyone can help me to get this fixed so my launcher is working would be awesome

Deleted
    What happens if you run WoW directly from the installation directory? (C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft)

Clicking on WoW from the directory will launch the program, just can't update it through launcher or repair.

Deleted
    Right, let's try this:

Please open notepad, and paste this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft]
    "InstallPath"="C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\"

Save this file as fix.reg with filetype All Files. (not textfile). Then doubleclick it and press yes.

Note: if your WoW installation is not C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft, change this to whatever you use.

Tried it but sadly it didn't work.

:<

Deleted
    Press Start + R and type Regedit --> Click OK.
    /
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft, what does it say under InstallPath?

Deleted
    Hello, I'm the gf he was talking about

In answer to your question that says: C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\

Deleted
    Hmm very strange, it shouldn't say that...

What happens if you right click the InstallPath, modify it, and then empty it. After that run Launcher.exe again, to see if it automatically fixes the location. Otherwise I would download an older complete installation from WoW, and see if that runs. if it does, just update from there.

Deleted
    that neither worked out

it's just so weird

Try running as admin if you didn't do yet.

Deleted
    I don't think that'll matter, as he's on XP, not on Vista.

Right, Googled a bit, try removing wow.mfil and wow.tfil from the WoW installation directory. Then try Launcher again.

Make sure you move the items back from the recycle-bin if it doesn't work.

Deleted
    did the above but still getting the same errors