Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordecraft View Post
    Again, you're a little wrong on that.
    If I don't have to put a virus-scanning program on a computer and not have to worry about getting hacked, I'm down.
    Again you have no idea what you're talking about.

You're really gonna pay double even triple the price of a similair PC just because MACs rarely get hacked? (They still do BTW). Only idiots get their PCs hacked BTW. I can't believe morons that will pay 1500$ for a peice of crap proprietary apple when 500$ could build a PC just as good if not better.

OP, I have the feeling he's a teenager because he has to travel back and forth between his parents due to the divorce. READ: He has no choice. Thus he can't afford a new laptop because one of his moronic parents decided to spend all their money getting him a piece of junk Mac. No wonder they're divorcing, one is probably pist at the other for wasting all that money.

You will be fine on the MBP. You may need to turn some settings down. Be sure to take an external mouse with you, unless you relish the idea of raiding with a trackpad.

A lot depends on the specifics of the unit. How recent, how much memory, etc. Remember, Mac keeps upgrading their computers over time, but always gives them the same name. So "MacBook Pro" has different meanings depending on the date of manufacture.

Grunt
    15+ Year Old Account
    I raid with 2008 13" macbook pro it works fine. However don't expect FPS > 20 in crowded Area with even with the lowest settings. I tend to have good FPS in 25 Raid > 20 most of the time with some down time around 10-12. Totally playable but not ideal.

If you get one of those new MacBook with an i5 or i7 chip, it will works perfectly fine with high settings (maybe ultra).

This being said Macs are not Gaming Computers! If you want a gaming computer get one of those ugly Alienware Laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    No there not.

They used the exact same parts as PCs for 1.5-2x the price.
    When I can easily run aggregate audio devices on a Windows machine, maybe I'll consider changing. Until then, you can keep telling yourself that they do the same thing.

No, they don't use the same parts entirely. A computer is not simply the sum of it's internal parts. Just because it uses the same RAM, hard drive, processor, etc. etc. does not mean that it is the same thing. There are numerous other parts of the laptop that are important, and sometimes they are significantly more important to a given user than raw power.

For example, I use my Macbook primarily for audio, including live audio, and under no circumstances will more power than I currently use benefit me. However, the incredibly durable chassis, the magsafe, the automatic and incredibly easy to read keyboard backlighting, the automatically adjusting screen brightness, the huge trackpad with click-anywhere and multitouch, the firewire 800, etc. etc. all benefit me in SIGNIFICANT ways that are well worth paying for. All of those things make a massive difference to me in the environment I use my laptop in.

Furthermore, there is software ONLY available on a Mac that isn't available for Windows that I use every single day. On top of that, and this is more important than every other reason, I like the OSX interface much better than Windows. I'd pay a massive premium on any machine to have an OS that is more conducive to how I use a computer. To me, Windows is unintuitive and makes my work take longer. Why would I use something I don't like, if I don't have to.

In other words, don't assume that because YOU don't need/like something, that it isn't useful for other people. The way you use a computer is not the way I use a computer. You are not the be-all and end-all of computer users. The way you use a computer has zero effect or importance to me. What you deem a useful feature is meaningless to me. Get over yourself.

To the OP: It depends which Macbook you get. You need to be a little more specific for what price point you are looking at.

A new macbook pro will easily run WoW above 50fps at a decent level of graphics

I <3 my iMac

WoW looks f-ing incredible at 2560x1440 running 150fps

I'm not sure what else you do that warrants the need for a Mac. But if you're into design or music production they're very nice machines. If you wanna do programming and tech stuff, stick with a PC running linux or windows though.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exze View Post
    Hi am traveling allot betwen my parents since they are divorced, that why i want a laptop that i can play wow on, and that is easy to carry around, and for my studies, so what do you think should i buy a Macbook pro?? and will i have 50+fps in crowded places??
    Logged in for the first time in a few months to respond to this. What you're going to get is a ton of Windows fanboys that will bash Macs to no end.

I was in the same position as you, looking for a Laptop for college, and I tried out a Windows based one and I didn't like it, but that's just my personal opinion. But honestly, if you're looking for something that you can use for school, and to play WoW on, I would go with the Pro, which is what I'm using. I get really good FPS during Raids (upwards to 75-80) and I roll with 240 in cities. Also, I love Macs because I do a ton of Music production and that's just my preference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deisell View Post
    I raid with a Macbook and I've never lagged at all. I love it and the graphics look great on my laptop. I had to have everything close to run WoW, on the Macbook I listen to music while playing and its sooooo smooth, no lag ever!
    This, pretty much.
    I normally raid on an iMac, works excellent. I never lag, even with all of my usual applications open, unless there's something up with the Router.
    When raiding on the iMac isn't an option, then the Macbook Pro is just as good. The only issue I can think of is that it's more awkward to move the mouse. But honestly, if you're raiding, I would imagine that alot of your important abilities are Key-bound.

Macs are completely fine for Raiding. I wouldn't upgrade to a proper gaming computer unless something went seriously wrong with this, or I got into playing WoW - Hardcore style.

Short answer: yes
    Long answer: yes. I've been playing on my Macbook Pro for over three years just fine. Sure, the framerates aren't the greatest thing in the world, but I can play, raid, and be on top of the dps meters and enjoy the game fully. Only issue I've seen is when the game first starts up, its laggy for about 3 minutes loading game data, but once the data is in, it's just fine. Macs might not necessarily be made for gaming, but WoW isn't exactly breakthrough graphics. You'll be fine for those occasional trips.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Horuku View Post

You're really gonna pay double even triple the price of a similair PC just because MACs rarely get hacked? (They still do BTW). Only idiots get their PCs hacked BTW. I can't believe morons that will pay 1500$ for a peice of crap proprietary apple when 500$ could build a PC just as good if not better.

OP, I have the feeling he's a teenager because he has to travel back and forth between his parents due to the divorce. READ: He has no choice. Thus he can't afford a new laptop because one of his moronic parents decided to spend all their money getting him a piece of junk Mac. No wonder they're divorcing, one is probably pist at the other for wasting all that money.
    Rage much? I own a PC that's running linux, it cost me a hell of a lot more than a macbook pro but I'd still like to have one. Some of us actually like the software and the whole feel of OSX. You dont have to be a moron just because you want something that's expensive, just as you dont have to be an idiot to get hacked. (Although it sure does help).

Apologies in advance for my language, I don't usually like being rude but this guy 'Horuku' needs to fuck right off.

You're really gonna pay double even triple the price of a similair PC just because MACs rarely get hacked? (They still do BTW). Only idiots get their PCs hacked BTW. I can't believe morons that will pay 1500$ for a peice of crap proprietary apple when 10000$ could build a PC just as good if not better.

You're really gonna pay double even triple the price of a similar car just because BMWs are less likely to break down? (They still do BTW). Only idiots have their cars break down anyway. I can't believe morons that will pay 35000$ for a peice of crap proprietary BMW when 500$ could build a Hyundai just as good if not better.

OP, I have the feeling he's a teenager because he has to travel back and forth between his parents due to the divorce. READ: He has no choice. Thus he can't afford a new car because one of his moronic parents decided to spend all their money getting him a piece of junk BMW. No wonder they're divorcing, one is probably pist at the other for wasting all that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Girugamesh View Post
    Rage much? I own a PC that's running linux, it cost me a hell of a lot more than a macbook pro but I'd still like to have one. Some of us actually like the software and the whole feel of OSX. You dont have to be a moron just because you want something that's expensive, just as you dont have to be an idiot to get hacked. (Although it sure does help).
    Let me guess, you bought your computer at alienware and think OMFG ITS SO AWESOME LEET IM GLAD I SPENT 2000$+.

You can build the same thing for sub 1000$ in under an hour.

You like the feel of OSX? Download a windows 7 theme that makes it feel the same. You like the software on Macs for certain things? Great, they aren't Mac exclusive and the same software exists for windows operating systems.

Computers ARE the sum of their parts, and Macs provide the same things as PCs (even less) at a premium because they know fanbois will spend a retarded amount of money for them.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post

You're really gonna pay double even triple the price of a similar car just because BMWs are less likely to break down? (They still do BTW). Only idiots have their cars break down anyway. I can't believe morons that will pay 35000$ for a peice of crap proprietary BMW when 500$ could build a Hyundai just as good if not better.
    Except a BMW is WAY better than a Hyundai, not even an opinion its a fact.
    Last edited by Horuku; 2010-12-06 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Wrong

Let me guess, you bought your computer at alienware and think OMFG ITS SO AWESOME LEET IM GLAD I SPENT 2000$+.

You can build the same thing for sub 1000$ in under an hour.

You like the feel of OSX? Download a windows 7 theme that makes it feel the same. You like the software on Macs for certain things? Great, they aren't Mac exclusive and the same software exists for windows operating systems.

Computers ARE the sum of their parts, and Macs provide the same things as PCs (even less) at a premium because they know fanbois will spend a retarded amount of money for them.
    Let me guess, you bought your car at a dealership and think OMFG ITS SO AWESOME LEET IM GLAD I SPENT 20000$+.

You can build the same thing for sub 10000$ in under an month.

You like the feel of a BMW? Paint your car a way that makes it feel the same. You like the features of a BMW for certain things? Great, they aren't BMW exclusive and the same features exist in a Hyundai.

Cars ARE the sum of their parts, and Hyundais provide the same things as BMWs (even less) at a premium because they know fanbois will spend a retarded amount of money for them.

---------- Post added 2010-12-06 at 04:25 PM ----------

Why is a BMW better than a Hyundai? Cars are for going places. A BMW and a Hyundai both go to the exact same places, and both are capable of reaching all maximum speed limits in the United States. By your logic, this means the BMW is a horrible rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Why is a BMW better than a Hyundai? Cars are for going places. A BMW and a Hyundai both go to the exact same places, and both are capable of reaching all maximum speed limits in the United States. By your logic, this means the BMW is a horrible rip off.
    Troll more obvious please. BMWs have far superior suspension, engines (power), and are far more luxurious than a Hyundai. In other words, it is BETTER.

The same can not be said for Macs vs. PCs for macs costing more. Its the other way around where PCs are BETTER/EQUAL to Macs but actually cost less.

Can't wait for you to edit this one next.

You like the software on Macs for certain things? Great, they aren't Mac exclusive and the same software exists for windows operating systems.
    Well that's just incorrect. Please learn about a topic before you decide to get involved in a debate about it.

Deleted
    Getting a bit out of hand here. Mac VS PC discussions are not permitted on there forums, as described in the guidelines.

The question of the OP has been answered. To prevent this thread getting out of hand, it has been locked.

- Magekid