How does the 'server goes live' work....

...will the server come down for restart?
    ....is it just some magic switch and 'ta-da'?
    ......something else?

RB

General consensus seems to be the magic switch option though you will need to relog to view the changes

we try and login, servers are likely down and when we finally get through 6 hours later there will be a 2 hour queue on every server then once we log in we keep disconnecting every 10 minutes until ragequit or suicide

a simple solution would be to ban everyone that has a belf character on their account from logging in for 72 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Roose Bolton View Post
    ...will the server come down for restart?
    ....is it just some magic switch and 'ta-da'?
    ......something else?

RB
    there is a blue post about it. At Midnight server time Cataclysm will be active.
    It will require a full client restart... Basically log out.. close down the client.
    Providing you have the Cataclysm client installed start up the launcher.. if you have any missing files it will d/l them.
    Then log in to be part of the Cataclysm goodness.

Deleted
    there should´t be a restart since we already have all the data. we just need to buy cata in order to use it.
    don´t quote me on that.

do people logged in get preference in the queue

15+ Year Old Account
    It will be a Server Restart. Everyone will be kicked out of the server and they activate the Cataclysm then put server online. Best is to restart client during this time ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Ultion View Post
    General consensus seems to be the magic switch option though you will need to relog to view the changes
    You will? When holiday events start, things just appear at the correct time.

Quote Originally Posted by FDL View Post
    do people logged in get preference in the queue
    no it wont even be tracked the way to get preference is to be the firt to lauch after they throw the switch , there may be an ingame announcement to alert but if iwas them i wouldnt , who wants several million people trying to log in at precisely the same time? sounds like a ticket to crashland

10+ Year Old Account
    we try and login, servers are likely down and when we finally get through 6 hours later there will be a 2 hour queue on every server then once we log in we keep disconnecting every 10 minutes until ragequit or suicide

a simple solution would be to ban everyone that has a belf character on their account from logging in for 72 hours
    blizzard has really done all they can do to prevent the servers being down for long periods of time. They know that people are anticipating the ability to play as soon as they lift the level lock, since this is what they've been advertising, and since everything is already in place to work (4.0.3a) I would assume that the down time would be no more than a couple minute or just a simple relog. As far as servers being backed up, well, can't really get mad at blizz for their game being popular.

there will be a restart to activate quests and other cata stuff.

People really need to stop spreading this uninformed bullshit around. There's less to 'flipping the switch' for tonight than there was for the Shattering. There's hardly anything to cause players to not be able to login when it goes live, and no a large amount of players logging in at the same time won't cause the servers to go down for hours.

---------- Post added 2010-12-06 at 02:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by doombledore View Post
    there should´t be a restart since we already have all the data. we just need to buy cata in order to use it.
    don´t quote me on that.
    There shouldn't be, but if they're smart they'll do a restart anyways just to be safe to prevent glitches from people who didn't logout.

Can we just get a blue post to confirm what will happen?

Deleted
    For WotLK, the boats/zepplins weren't meant to start coming till 12am to get into Northrend but they started about 9.30pm on the server I was on.

I'm presuming (If I can get on due to massive server queues atm) it will work just like all the seasonal events but on a larger scale, ie if you are on at 12am everything will just appear, no need to relog.

Deleted

hooray, then i'll be fine