Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

AE thret in Cata

Hey,

how do you manage AE threat with new ability?
    Done several dungeon runs as tank, but it's just feels weak, I can hold a group of 3-4 mobs while damagers AE. It's looks great, I can hold 'em all on myself, but if I have single target damager in group (rog for example) and he hits one target, he agro it. Started to mark "first target" for single target damagers and payed more attention to it and the problem is gone, but marking isn't fun in normal dungeon run.

Please, share your exp.

Disclaimer: this thread is not about marking mobs, vanilla, Blizzards viewpoint or communication with damagers. It's about bears AE threat as it is in live Cataclysm, AE rotation and how to tank from 2 to infinity mobs.
    Last edited by valiorik; 2010-12-07 at 11:55 AM.
    91 lvl Elit Alcoholic Ирез

Deleted
    Welcome back to vanilla my friend! CC and you only have to deal with 1-2 mobs at a time making your aoe tanking much stronger

Are you using thorns before AOE pulls?

Are you using swipe on CD?

Are you tab-targetting Lacerate/Maul/Mangle?

I'm used to tab-targetting because I've always done it. It's something that most tanks now need to learn, you can't just AFK aoe threat anymore.

On my warrior the only reason I struggled was because I had no rage most of the run, and the dps were heroic 25 (me being heroic 10 geared) It was fun though, i have to say BRC is much more fun than UK/Nexus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 93sika View Post
    Welcome back to vanilla my friend! CC and you only have to deal with 1-2 mobs at a time making your aoe tanking much stronger
    I have never CC'ed mobs in Willing Caverns in vanilla. Have you?

i have set the raid icons to my numblock. so its easysauce to mark something
    the best is: you can do it with the keyassignment of wow so you dont even need an addon

i use f1-f8 for my marks (f1 being skull, 2 cross etc) it makes it so much quicker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalvir View Post
    Are you using thorns before AOE pulls?

Are you using swipe on CD?

Are you tab-targetting Lacerate/Maul/Mangle?

I'm used to tab-targetting because I've always done it. It's something that most tanks now need to learn, you can't just AFK aoe threat anymore.

On my warrior the only reason I struggled was because I had no rage most of the run, and the dps were heroic 25 (me being heroic 10 geared) It was fun though, i have to say BRC is much more fun than UK/Nexus.
    Trash and swipe by cd. Meanwhile Lacerate/Maul. Mangle only for debuf otherwise it's not enough time to Lacerate during trash + swipe. Thorns then not chain pulling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by valiorik View Post
    Used to in vanilla

- I thought you were talking about the new cataclysm dungeons where aoe tanking is heavily nerfed

Deleted
    Nope maybe not, but you did CC in all the lvl 60 instances in vanilla, somtimes even lesser dungeons aswell. Because you HAD to.

Bears at low levels are going to really suffer with a lack of AoE threat. Unlike a warrior with a vast array of AoE threat tools available early, bears really only have swipe (fairly late) and a glyphed maul (hopefully you can afford that or you are really screwed.) My personal opinion is that bear's are a gimped tank until 81 when they pick up thrash (which may or may not resolve the issue.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigman1 View Post
    i have set the raid icons to my numblock. so its easysauce to mark something
    the best is: you can do it with the keyassignment of wow so you dont even need an addon
    I have it done for years. Anyway thank you for suggestion, but, please, stay on topic. It's about AE threat in Cata live.

Deleted
    Im having no problems at all aoe tanking with thrash. It is a great tool!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 93sika View Post
    Used to in vanilla

- I thought you were talking about the new cataclysm dungeons where aoe tanking is heavily nerfed
    Exactly, new easiest dungeons: normal BRC and normal Throne. Should they be simple? Like WC in vanilla and Ramparts in TBC? Never had to control mobs there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortano View Post
    Bears at low levels are going to really suffer with a lack of AoE threat. Unlike a warrior with a vast array of AoE threat tools available early, bears really only have swipe (fairly late) and a glyphed maul (hopefully you can afford that or you are really screwed.) My personal opinion is that bear's are a gimped tank until 81 when they pick up thrash (which may or may not resolve the issue.)
    And no problems if somebody starts to dps 15k to single target?

Quote Originally Posted by lockne View Post
    Im having no problems at all aoe tanking with thrash. It is a great tool!
    Would you be so nice to describe you rotation for AE, please?
    Other tanking in cata bears are welcomed to post AE rotation as well.
    Last edited by valiorik; 2010-12-07 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalvir View Post
    i use f1-f8 for my marks (f1 being skull, 2 cross etc) it makes it so much quicker
    hmm good option btw i think i'll use it!

As i see it it's more of a question of discrepancies on what Blizz's philosophy of how dungeons should be tackled and what's actually happening on Live that's causing your AE threat issues. Blizz did say that they want players to use more focused fire attacks and more CC than before (aka WotLK), and no more mindless AoE damage at a push of a button. Things to back this up are (tempted to say nerf, but i won't) the reduction of AE threat that tanks generate and also toning down most dps' AoE damage abilities (enhancement, hunter, ret, rogue, etc.). So it might be just a question of the right approach. I'm betting if you start marking mobs and asking people to single target in the correct order and you tanking accordingly things will shape up. You'll need the practice for lvl 85 heroics anyway, where single target is the only way to go.

P.S. Stop comparing expansions. Cata and Vanilla are like cats and dogs, totally different, so how you used to tank back then is irelevant!

Nope maybe not, but you did CC in all the lvl 60 instances in vanilla, somtimes even lesser dungeons aswell. Because you HAD to.
    In classic, hardly anyone had CC abilities; you were lucky if you had a mage in your group... and that was a rarity.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortano View Post
    In classic, hardly anyone had CC abilities; you were lucky if you had a mage in your group... and that was a rarity.
    back thne we had bring the class not the player, you specificly wanted like a rouge or a mage in your group
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Deleted
    Started to mark "first target" for single target damagers and payed more attention to it and the problem is gone, but marking isn't fun in normal dungeon run.
    Because it is normal, it should be faceroll, right?

Disclaimer: this thread is not about marking mobs, vanilla, Blizzards viewpoint or communication with damagers. It's about bears AE threat as it is in live Cataclysm, AE rotation and how to tank from 2 to infinity mobs.
    Cata is NOT about AE threat. Cata is about CC-ing mobs and paying attention even in a normal dungeon.
    As you stated above, all problems were gone the moment you started playing the game as it should be played. So what excatly is your problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Elunedra View Post
    back thne we had bring the class not the player, you specificly wanted like a rouge or a mage in your group
    Last I checked, makeup wasn't very useful in groups. Rogues were, but not Rouge.

As for bear tanking, just Thrash and Swipe on CD, while tab-lacerate/maul/mangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

I believe DK's / Paladins are now the "main" AOE tanks as there spells hit any number of mobs for quite alot of damage and threat. Where as warriors and druid's will do good single target with there massive hitting single target spells. Ofc all tanks can AOE / Single but some are better then others.