Account hacked, need advice

Hello, I have a bit of a problem: my account was hacked and an authenticator was slapped on it. Now, I am not the original owner of the account; but I did not steal it or pay for it. It was given to me by my old friend who quit the game back in 2005. I was 12 at the time and didn't really know anything about it being a TOS violation. I've been playing on it ever since, paying for it with my own money, and so forth. But I am still not the original owner. However, when the battle.net merger was done, the battle.net account was tied to my email and name.

But here's the problem: with my account hacked, I put in a retrieval request and I'm in trouble because they're asking me to send them ID. But I haven't talked to this friend in years and I'm not even sure if I can get in touch with him. So I'm very potentially screwed.

What do I do? Do I just send them my ID since my name is tied to the battle.net account? I can't explain it to them, because having received the account as a gift is a TOS Violation and I won't ever get the account back. ANy help appreciated.

You could try calling billing and give them the contact info you have from the merged account it could work. If they are looking for the details from the non-merged account you might be SOL!

Deleted
    Did you phone blizzard? Normally they just ask for the secret question + answer and some other details about the account like address etc. If you didnt phone them up then I sigguest doing that, if they need ID then send some ID, thats all you can do really.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel your pain, i got my account from a friend as a birthday present with a lvl 56 hunter (wich was awesome at the time), as he couldnt afford paying for two accounts anymore, so i just took it over..

i got hacked mid-wrath while waiting for my authenicator to arrive (god the irony) and they put one on my acc so i couldnt do much, i sent a email and explained the situation i was in, and everything was back to normal within a week. i hope you get the same help as i did! goodluck

my old account got hacked, blizz didnt give it back. it was 1 year ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Wash View Post
    ... so, what was the warlock ninjaing from you?

Stupid Warrior: Soul shards, the f**king idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenx View Post
    3. If all WoW servers disappeared today and were permanently removed, what would your reaction be?

I would go on forums like this and enjoy the epic nerdrage.

It's quite easy to fix.

You said you got it back in 2005, where there were no battle.net accounts. That means you must have been the one merging it with or creating it as a new battle net account. That means you are the rightful owner and all previous owners have been erased. So just contact them using their support system, they ask you to attach a picture of your passport, so do that. Then you got your account back in 2 days.

And if you are not completely telling the truth, then just get your friend to e-mail or MMS you a picture of his passport to you and attach that and claim that you are him.
    No Screenshot. No Signature. From WMV or Ingame. Make it big.

Watch me create signatures on Youtube here - Watch my signature gallery here

Quote Originally Posted by Limiter View Post
    I feel your pain, i got my account from a friend as a birthday present with a lvl 56 hunter (wich was awesome at the time), as he couldnt afford paying for two accounts anymore, so i just took it over..

i got hacked mid-wrath while waiting for my authenicator to arrive (god the irony) and they put one on my acc so i couldnt do much, i sent a email and explained the situation i was in, and everything was back to normal within a week. i hope you get the same help as i did! goodluck
    Do what he did. I just sent em an email and they fixed everything, no questions asked. No secret questions or IDs. They just did an investigation and fixed it.

---------- Post added 2010-12-07 at 08:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gruntishnoob View Post
    my old account got hacked, blizz didnt give it back. it was 1 year ago
    Hmm I guess you didn't contact em correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    Do what he did. I just sent em an email and they fixed everything, no questions asked. No secret questions or IDs. They just did an investigation and fixed it.

---------- Post added 2010-12-07 at 08:52 PM ----------

Hmm I guess you didn't contact em correctly.
    I did send an email and I received a reply, saying my account has been disabled pending investigation, and to get my account back I have to send an email with my ID or passport.

EDIT: The ID of the original account owner, who was my friend. But the battle.net ID is my name. But I still see the World of Warcrafta ccount tied to the game (which is the account name my old friend chose).

Quote Originally Posted by Kreldin View Post
    I did send an email and I received a reply, saying my account has been disabled pending investigation, and to get my account back I have to send an email with my ID or passport.

EDIT: The ID of the original account owner, who was my friend. But the battle.net ID is my name. But I still see the World of Warcrafta ccount tied to the game (which is the account name my old friend chose).
    That sounds sketchy, I would CALL blizzard. The last time it happened to my roomie he got his account back in MINUTES just gave them the details boom done.

i got hacked last week, i had returned from a 7month break, and just played for 2days.
    i instantly managed to get my account back through the account retreaval service on battle.net, i got my email address back aswell, changed all my passwords, scanned my PC, slapped ipod authenticator on it, and send an ingame mail to blizzard, they responded telling me they wont suspend my account because an authenticator has been added.
    next day my account got suspended anyway >.<, for violation of the terms of use and ingame economy.

The hacker changed my secret question aswell, so blizzard kept it on a lockdown until i contacted them with a picture or scan of my ID, all the information, a new email address, a new secret question+answer, 12hours later i got my account back, and 2hours after that i got all my gear/gold back.

Blizzard has amazing costumer support, they will do what they can, they are by far the best out there, contact them, call them, they will figure a way to help out.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by Kreldin View Post

Call them...

same thing happened to me..I called their support number..waited an hour to get someone...they verified battle.net info only..then they disable the authenticator and allowed me to reset password.

Piece of advice..GET AN AUTHENTICATOR yourself

You will also need to most likely file a ticket once in game as all your gear and bank will be sold. They did that to all my toons except my pallly and were using him to farm instances.

Its also possible to use CD-Keys as "ID". As they are unique and bond to your account its a safe way, When I got hacked I added all my keys, even my SC2 one, in the mail.
    I was Once a Nab
    Then I rolled a Paladin
    Thats when I found out
    that I REALLY was a Nab

I've been trying to call for the past 2 days. Now it's saying technical difficulties, yesterday it was full all day long. My only viable option is through email.

Blizzard will ask for your ID, theres nothing to be afraid of, just be 100% sure its a blizzard email address, and if he actually did send it to blizzard and got a reply, it should be perfectly safe.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by Inferis View Post
    It's quite easy to fix.
    <snip>
    And if you are not completely telling the truth, then just get your friend to e-mail or MMS you a picture of his passport to you and attach that and claim that you are him.
    Do NOT do this unless you want to wander into identity theft territory. Violating TOS isn't illegal, this is.

Use your ID, as that's tied to your account (and possibly the credit card you use to pay the subscription). I doubt your friend's name will even come up. Even if you were exposed, I highly doubt the original game cost would be worth more to them than the years of subscription fees. If they really need your friend's ID, call support and explain the situation.

I am surprised they require a scan of photo ID now. I was hacked pre-authenticator, I just had to provide a slew of information proving I owned the original WoW. Including original CD key.