Tricks of the Trade Macro?

I was wondering: Is there a way to make a macro that automatically targets the person in the group designated as tank (AKA targetting the shield icon)? I don't raid, so that's not a problem, just curious if there's a way to have it specifically target the tank with it.

I know I can set focus to the tank, and have it use it on the focus target, and if that's the only way, does anyone know the specific text I need to use to get it to do such?

And if that is the case, does anyone know of an addon that shrinks the focus target screen, or hides it?

#showtooltip Tricks of the Trade
    /use [modifier:alt,target= NAME OF OTHER ROGUE HERE][nomodifier,target=target,help,exists][nomodifier,target=targettarget,help,exists] Tricks of the Trade

THIS IS MY MACRO. If you target someone specifically, it will cast Tricks on that person. If you hold Alt and press the macro, it will cast Tricks on "NAME OF OTHER ROGUE"... i.e. put in the name of the rogue you usually trade tricks with. If you press the macro while you're targeting a boss or enemy mob/player, it will automatically cast Tricks on their target.. which should, in theory, be the tank. That's the macro I use for high end raiding and it seems to have the best functionality out of all the other macros I've previously come up with. Hope this helps.

Credentials - 12/12 ICC25 HMs, H RS25, all previous fun hardmodes, etc.

Hmm, that sounds like a good idea, never thought of target of the target. XD

THanks, I'll try it out. I don't raid, so I never trade tricks with someone. XD Can I safely remove the first line (the other rogue one) and still have a functioning macro?

/use [modifier:alt,target=focus][nomodifier,target=target,help,exists][nomodifier,target=targettarget,help,exists] Tricks of the Trade

I modified it so that if you use Alt as the modifier, it will cast on your focus instead. You may want to keep it in for something, I just had it set to target a specific rogue because my guild always runs two rogues, but you can really make it do whatever you want. If you want, you could remove the line completely but it can't hurt to leave it in as a focus target macro. You could change the modifier to Ctrl or Shift also if you don't want to use Alt for some reason.

This is the one I use. Target your tank and hit it once then anytime you hit it again it will go to him.

/clearfocus [help]
    /focus [help]
    /stopmacro [help]
    /cast [@focus,help]Tricks of the Trade

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

I'm really not a fan of that last one because you have to lose your target which means you stop auto-attacking and lose DPS. The macro I posted does not require you to lose your current enemy target even for a split second.

---------- Post added 2010-12-07 at 08:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post
    This is the one I use. Target your tank and hit it once then anytime you hit it again it will go to him.
    I see..... basically this just sets your focus and then casts it on your focus automatically. That's pretty much the same concept he's going with already. I gave him my macro just to give him a different idea that he may not have considered previously.