Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    I hope they lock that arrogant bastage up. The things he does should be considered treason in my opinion. If they get him on the alleged rape instead of the WikiLeaks thing, then fine, I just want him behind bars. Life spent labeled as a sex offender wouldn't be a bad trade-off, either.
    Legally speaking you can't really commit treason against nations you have nothing to do with. The guy might be arrogant (I don't know the man), but if all arrogant people should be locked up...
    Like I said, there are problems with the ethics of his actions, but excepted for the (alleged) sexual assault the man has done nothing illegal.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I hope Julian Assange (and the people who have provided him with classified material) get medals. Big, fat shiny ones.

/Slightly worried

I fear for all nations because if he( and his peeps) can find documents of invaluable data on things everyone else shouldnt know about then other nations like China, Russia and the European nations are gonna get hit as well.

I really hope it doesnt come to that.

Deleted
    He only allowed the information to be public knowledge. If these documents were in his hands, you can bet they were also in the hands of every intelligence agency around the world.
    Looking through some of it (my god is it dull) its more about back room politics than giving away military secrets.

Having to change the lock on the filing cabinet $10 - Knowing the calibre of the people you put in power priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by DionLight7 View Post
    /Slightly worried

I fear for all nations because if he( and his peeps) can find documents of invaluable data on things everyone else shouldnt know about then other nations like China, Russia and the European nations are gonna get hit as well.

I really hope it doesnt come to that.
    I really hope it does. Put everyone's dirty little secrets out for the world to see.

Deleted
    Assange a modern day internet Che Guevara

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2010 View Post
    Can't believe they arrested him for doing NOTHING illegal. He's a journalist reporting the truth, he is a messenger reporting the horrible crimes of the government and now they want to turn it around and say he's the one who's putting lives in danger? While they massacre innocent lives? The world is TWISTED!
    Excepted he stated "I want to destroy America", as far as I am concerned he is a terrorist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryade View Post
    Excepted he stated "I want to destroy America", as far as I am concerned he is a terrorist.
    Is there a source for this? I haven't read anything similar (but I haven't read the newspaper today.). Also stating you want to destroy America doesn't make you a terrorist. Making a bomb, planning an invasion, shooting the president, blowing up a famous monument, these things make you a terrorist. Me saying I want to murder my professor for giving the hardest exam doesn't make me a murderer. There are also non-terrorist ways of destroying a nation or country.
    Also, if he actually said " I want to destroy America." it can also be more nuanced than that. It could mean he wants to destroy what America stands for (whatever that is), he could mean he doesn't believe the American (USA) state structure works and a revolution is in order...
    Resurrected Holy Priest

15+ Year Old Account
    to the eyes of US government, anyone who doesn't agree with their politics and opposes it is labeled a "terrorist".

the only crime Assange is charged with "currently" is rape, and I doubt he really RAPED anyone. it's just something the government made up to take him out.

Deleted
    Pity. He was doing a good thing. Although, it is obvious anyway, that civilians were killed in Afghanistan and Iraq (spelling?).

just wanted to throw that into the discussion:

This space is available for rent!

Quote Originally Posted by HavaanSoup View Post
    How exactly is he similar to an authoritarian that murdered thousands of people that disagreed with the Cuban government?

Nice sourcing of that statement.

Secondly: everything that's happening is just a large and sad farce.

Secondly, the people in this movie have yet to be trialed:

Quote Originally Posted by chris2010 View Post
    Can't believe they arrested him for doing NOTHING illegal. He's a journalist reporting the truth, he is a messenger reporting the horrible crimes of the government and now they want to turn it around and say he's the one who's putting lives in danger? While they massacre innocent lives? The world is TWISTED!

He's accused of sexually assault and rape. That's what he is being arrested for at the moment. The USA are trying to determine if he has committed a crime and will then ask Sweden or what ever country he is in to hand him over to them.

Sweden will only hand him over if
    1. the UK allows it (since they handed him over to Sweden because of the rape charges)
    2. what he's being accused by the US of is a crime in Sweden that will result in a minimum sentence of 1 year in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    I saw a tauren rolling on mail gear once and when I asked him, he said it was better than what he was wearing.
    Can you believe that? A cow wearing clothes? Ridiculous..

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still a bit confused about what he's actually done. As far as I've heard, he didn't personally obtain any of this released information that he's being blamed for. Knocking him out one way or another wouldn't really do much except possibly set an example and maybe instill a little bit of fear in others.

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamash View Post
    I hope Julian Assange (and the people who have provided him with classified material) get medals. Big, fat shiny ones.
    I'm assuming you’re not American!? LOL - all the outrage seems to be comming from the other side of the Pond ... its brilliant, I love to see the Americans crying about something, especially over spilt milk!!!

Wikileaks provides the world with the truth (to a greater extent) - you wont see any Government agency (US or otherwise) letting Joe Public get that info.

And all this crying about National Security - if you had people in charge of it that weren't complete retards you'd be alot more self assured.

Quote Originally Posted by HavaanSoup View Post

---------- Post added 2010-12-08 at 02:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Marzim View Post
    He's accused of sexually assault and rape. That's what he is being arrested for at the moment. The USA are trying to determine if he has committed a crime and will then ask Sweden or what ever country he is in to hand him over to them.
    I wouldnt be supprised if these "rape" charges were fabricated as a way to get him into custordy

I'd much rather see the people who leaked this info go down as opposed to some chump with a website and enough money to pay for said infos/maintain such a high profile.

Seemed inevitable though that some charges like this would surface. Of course they can't just off him, got to ruin his image first THEN make him disappear. Wonder how much those women were paid...

Then again maybe he IS guilty and using the" they're all out to get me" card because most would believe it, so he could truly get away with anything. I can but speculate. Its still sad that the true perpatrators (those that leaked classified info) aren't being brought down sooner... ultimately it is possible the info was brought down to a security level to the point that someone could" leak" it without it actually being a large enough security concearn.

Also its worth mentioning as someone said before 99% of said info could be found somewhere anyways if you looked hard enough, just a big uproar because they called it all a "leak"... anyone who has read most of them probably understands there's nothing super outrageous about past ops or the fact that civilians get killed in wars... big shocker there huh.... i WAS suprised to see certain things on there, but without knowing their actual classification from the originators at the time of their" leak" again, all one can do is speculate. If it can be determined this all was classified, the insiders should go down hard.

/2cp
    Last edited by Gunjniir; 2010-12-08 at 03:04 PM.
    Hi, I'm Lerty.

Why is there anything to hide and keep secret anyway?

Yes.

Fuck the humans.

I love how you pull random non cited bits of info outta no where.

The man did something that few have the balls to do, he put a light on american politics in some of their darkest hours. Why don't we as a people have a right to know about parts of our government? Did he show everyone where our troops are currently? What about our nuke codes? Of course he didn't. He's not out to hurt america, he's out to oust the american government for the utterly shitty and horrendous things they have done in the past. This doesn't mean other countries do, but if anything he did it in hope that american will change, not be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    . He's not out to hurt america, he's out to oust the american government for the utterly shitty and horrendous things they have done in the past.
    Here here