Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    ESPN College Bowl Mania

    It's getting close to the end of the 2010 College Football season, and with it are the coming bowls. If anyone plays ESPNs College Pick-Em knows that they have a very similar game at the end of the year involving all of the Bowl Games being played.

    I've set up groups for any MMO-Champion people who would want to play. If you've never played before, you can sign up at http://games.espn.go.com/bowlmania/en/frontpage

    Right now there are two groups set up, Straight picking and Confidence picking. If you follow the sport but have never played, Straight picking is only choosing who you think will win the game. If the team you pick wins, you get a point. With Confidence, you still pick the teams, but you have to rank them in order of who you think will win. With 1 more bowl game being added bringing the total to 35 this year, it's a bit more difficult than Straight picking. It's still simple, you choose a team and then place them in order of your confidence in them winning the game. A 35 ranking is where you would put a team you're basically certain will win, while at 1 you'd want to maybe throw an upset at.

    Anyways, like I said, I've got two groups for both different settings. After you've logged in/signed up, you will --need to make two different entries-- if you want to enter both of the groups, otherwise just stick to one. Scroll over the "My Entries" tab, create a new entry, name it and choose which type of entry you want it to be based on the group you want to hop in.

    Straight Picking Group: http://games.espn.go.com/bowlmania/e...entryID=199261
    Group Name - MMO-Champion
    Password - cataclysm

    Confidence Picking Group: http://games.espn.go.com/bowlmania/e...entryID=199501
    Group Name - MMO-Champion Confidence
    Password - cataclysm

    Not sure how many people on these boards follow the sport, hope to see you join.

  2. #2
    I was always curious how many gamers followed sports, It'd be nice if it got up to a dozen, but half dozen might even be optimistic.

  3. #3
    Would be fun to get a decent size group going, but the way it is now I can't even choose my picks/change confidence levels/search for groups using Firefox. Not sure what is going on, have a post on their forums hoping to find a fix or something.

    Anyone else having issues(if anyone even reads this >.>) using Firefox?

  4. #4
    I'm using firefox and don't seem to be having an issue, but I haven't previously had issues with some templates.

  5. #5
    Is there any setting on Firefox that would mess this up at all? I've tried on my laptop and desktop now, can't get either of them to work. Thing that annoys me is that it worked completely fine last week when I did the picks for week 14 of the normal Pick 'Em game.

  6. #6
    Brewmaster ketzil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    I'm on my way to Catalina
    Posts
    1,262
    I might get in on this....depends if college football can interest me in the slightest with Cata going on. My BC Eagles got a pretty good bowl against #19 Nevada, I'm looking forward to it but i'm not too optimistic of our chances of winning. BC couldn't score on my high school LACROSSE team their offense is so bad.
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ketzil View Post
    I might get in on this....depends if college football can interest me in the slightest with Cata going on. My BC Eagles got a pretty good bowl against #19 Nevada, I'm looking forward to it but i'm not too optimistic of our chances of winning. BC couldn't score on my high school LACROSSE team their offense is so bad.
    They beat Clemson this year, great team to me.

  8. #8
    Brewmaster ketzil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    I'm on my way to Catalina
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Samalas View Post
    They beat Clemson this year, great team to me.
    HA I got into Clemson, but instead went to Wentworth Institute of Technology. Biggest mistake of my life. I am now drifting in college purgatory at a community college.

    But yeah hopefully they can pull of the W.
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.

  9. #9
    Epic! Fysi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South UK
    Posts
    1,609
    I've always wondered, why is college/university sport followed so much in the States compared to other places in the World?
    Must... resist... posting... huge... animated GIF...

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post
    I've always wondered, why is college/university sport followed so much in the States compared to other places in the World?
    Not really sure why. I know myself that I love College Football a -lot- more than NFL, although I still follow it. College Baseball doesn't get huge turnouts compared to the MLB. The South Carolina Baseball stadium has a record attendance of a little over 8,000.

  11. #11
    Brewmaster ketzil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    I'm on my way to Catalina
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post
    I've always wondered, why is college/university sport followed so much in the States compared to other places in the World?
    I think it has most to do with Pro teams being spread out across the country much farther than say the soccer teams in england. Also college sport (especially football) traditions go back years, I really couldn't begin to explain them/emphasize how many of them their are.

    Plus college kids are just so much more into the game than pros are. So you'll generally get more passionate match-ups and rivalries.
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ketzil View Post
    I think it has most to do with Pro teams being spread out across the country much farther than say the soccer teams in england. Also college sport (especially football) traditions go back years, I really couldn't begin to explain them/emphasize how many of them their are.

    Plus college kids are just so much more into the game than pros are. So you'll generally get more passionate match-ups and rivalries.
    I love the atmosphere of a college football game. I'm not sure anything could beat soccer though. I don't follow the sport at all, watched a few of the World Cup games when they were on, but the following that sport has and the eruption that happens when any goal is scored is insane.

  13. #13
    Well in the states.. you go to the respected schools or have friends playing for them.. LETS GO UCONN!!!!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by zro1021 View Post
    Well in the states.. you go to the respected schools or have friends playing for them.. LETS GO UCONN!!!!
    Grats to UConn on winning the Big East I suppose, but I can't say I agree with them going to a BCS bowl. A 7-5 team in it just seems off, WTB playoff.

  15. #15
    Brewmaster ketzil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    I'm on my way to Catalina
    Posts
    1,262
    My high school was HUGE rivals with the high school of a certain running back at UConn. After graduating I have met a few of the football players from that school and realized they are actually a pretty good group of guys. Except the UConn running back. I can honestly say he is the biggest asshole I have ever met, there is no way anyone at that school can genuinely like this kid. I won't mention his name, but you can probably figure out who it is.
    Last edited by ketzil; 2010-12-09 at 12:45 AM.
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.

  16. #16
    Only 3 people including myself in the Straight Pick 'Em group, join up people.

    You have until the 18th(the first bowl game) to make your picks.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Samalas View Post
    Grats to UConn on winning the Big East I suppose, but I can't say I agree with them going to a BCS bowl. A 7-5 team in it just seems off, WTB playoff.
    Yeah it does. Sure, win the conference and you should get something but in a case like this where the conference champion isn't even ranked...

    I also agree with you, i'll sit there all Saturday watching college football and then sometimes forget the NFL is on. The atmosphere is always so electric, you can't watch a Georgia/Georgia Tech game or a Miami/FSU game or Notre Dame/USC game or any other rivalry game and not get into it. Hell, my "second favorite" college team is Auburn and holy hell, the Iron Bowl???? Damn, that's just precious.

    WAR CAM EAGLE!!

    I just wish my Canes had something resembling a good season.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Yeah it does. Sure, win the conference and you should get something but in a case like this where the conference champion isn't even ranked...

    I also agree with you, i'll sit there all Saturday watching college football and then sometimes forget the NFL is on. The atmosphere is always so electric, you can't watch a Georgia/Georgia Tech game or a Miami/FSU game or Notre Dame/USC game or any other rivalry game and not get into it. Hell, my "second favorite" college team is Auburn and holy hell, the Iron Bowl???? Damn, that's just precious.

    WAR CAM EAGLE!!

    I just wish my Canes had something resembling a good season.
    As a South Carolina fan...

    Oregon: 72
    Auburn: 14

    Boosted a bit for bias and whatnot.



    ------------

    Up to 4 people in the Straight Pick 'Em group, seems to be the one people are interested in. Free for anyone to join.

  19. #19
    Dreadlord Noah37's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    778
    Nice, I made an entry recently because I usually play with my brother. I'll join up, could be a few interesting bowl games. I'm curious about the Auburn vs. Oregon, South Carolina vs. FSU, Florida vs. Penn State, Alabama vs. Michigan State, Miss. State vs. Michigan, and a few others. Yea I'm a biased SEC fan I guess lol, it's been a bit of a boring season so hopefully the post season picks up some.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Noahsmith37 View Post
    Nice, I made an entry recently because I usually play with my brother. I'll join up, could be a few interesting bowl games. I'm curious about the Auburn vs. Oregon, South Carolina vs. FSU, Florida vs. Penn State, Alabama vs. Michigan State, Miss. State vs. Michigan, and a few others. Yea I'm a biased SEC fan I guess lol, it's been a bit of a boring season so hopefully the post season picks up some.
    I loved this season. SC beating Alabama when they were #1, the LSU-Tenn horrendously awesome ending, Boise States kicker choking harder than any other player in the history of football, Dantonio showing he has some of the biggest balls against Notre Dame.

    Season went by too fast.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •