Page 1 of 31
... LastLast

[Books] Good Books Megathread!

6.0 Added the Malazan book of the fallen.

Update 6.0

I make this thread so I and other fellow readers can post their experiences with certain books and series.

Myself is a big fantasy and lore fan, my username might suggest just that.

I'll start of

First, probably the best series I've ever read is:...

The Dark Tower by Stephen King.
    It's a 7 book series, with a couple of smaller stories in other of his books.

It's about a fella called Roland, that travels across his world (and a version of ours), to find the Dark Tower. If you like fantasy or Stephen King, this is a must-read, and I suggest it to everyone. I won't tell what happens or how it ends, but if you wish to know more or want me to write a better description, send me a PM or reply in this thread

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson.
    It's a 14 book series, with the 13'th book released a couple of weeks ago.

It happens in another world, and it's a battle between the good, evil and madness. The plot is based around the main character Rand Al'thor, and his friends Perrin Ayabara, Mathrim Cauthon, Egwene Al'were and later on in the series Elayne Trakand. The point of view changes from chapter to chapter.

A small summary that won't spoil anything comes here:
    The Dark One's prison is crumbling, and the world is in great danger. Thousands of years ago the Dragon (not acctually a dragon, but a title) Lews Therin "Kinslayer" Thelamon imprisoned him and his strongest leaders, the Forsaken, into his mountain of Shayol Ghoul, far into the Blight. You follow Rand as he discovers his fate and him and his friends struggle against the forces of darkness.

Again, I suggest this book to all fantasy fans.

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.
    I guess you've heard about the movie "The Golden Compass" (or something, only read it in Norwegian), and though that film sucked big time, the series are acctually one of the best I've read, and also the only I can remember reading as much as three times. It's only three books, I think about a thousand pages in total, but it's really, really good. Especially if you, like me, like the idea of several universes.

I won't write the plot on this one, you better read it yourself

WoW lore books

The War of the Ancients
    trilogy is great. And especially if you are into lore, you should really, really read this. It's available on Amazon pretty cheap as far as I know. It's about the Dragonsoul, and the maddening of Deathwing which is pretty essential in the current expansion.

Trebor made a post in another thread that listed all lore books that currently exists. A link the the post can be found HERE.

So that's my 5 cent

Reply with other books and series you wish others to read, or reply with comments to other replies or the original post.

Edit: I'll update the post when I read more books, or if you make a suggestion worthy to be on the top

First update
    Dune by Frank Herbert
    Dune has been mentioned several times in the thread, and I agree. the Dune series are great, and everyone should read them.

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind
    This is also a great series. Myself have read couple of them. It's very good and very entertaining. The first book gave me thrills, and still does merely by thinking about it.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
    Starting with the Amulet of Samarkand which is extremely good. I acctually started crying in the end of the third book if I remember correctly.

Second update
    H.P. Lovecraft
    Creator of the C'thulu Mythos, and what Old Gods from WoW are based on.

Third update
    The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien
    The Lord of the Rings is a epic tale almost everyone has heard of. The movies are also some of the best "filmatized" books ever. I'd say it doesn't matter wether you read the books or see the films first.

Fourth Update
    1984 - George Orwell
    George Orwell's dystopian novel describes a grim vision of the future. It follows Winston Smith, civil servant from Air Strip One, responsible for falsifying historical documents in order to put the all-ruling Party in better light. He slowly rebels, with his lover Julia, and learns what is really behind Big Brother. Thanks to Postulio

Update 5
    A song of Ice and Fire - George R. R. Martin.
    A Song of Ice and Fire is a series of epic fantasy novels by American novelist and screenwriter George R. R. Martin. Martin began writing the series in 1991 and the first volume was published in 1996. Originally planned as a trilogy, the series now consists of four published volumes with three more planned. There are also three prequel novellas available, with several more planned, and a series of novellas consisting of excerpts of the main novels. One of these excerpt novellas has won a Hugo Award. The series has been translated into more than twenty languages and the fourth volume reached the top of The New York Times bestseller lists upon its release. Overall, the series has sold more than 3.5 million copies in the USA and more than 7 million worldwide. (from wikipedia)

Sixth Update
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson
    A hundred thousand years ago, a god was summoned from another world to destroy a mortal tyrant. The god was severely injured and became consumed by pain and hatred, and wishes to destroy the world. The local gods and ascendants of the world chained this foreign god to the earth.
    Meanwhile, several mortal empires/nations are warring with each other.
    There are main characters/protagonists in each, so there are no real 'good vs evil' fights in the mortal wars. Big thanks to Zoma.
    Last edited by ChildeRoland; 2011-04-22 at 06:53 PM.

Deleted
    Im also "fantasyfreak". At the moment I've been reading The Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini. Three books are released, so I'm waiting for the fourth, hopefully gonna see it in the stores next year.

I also like Dan Brown's books, as well as Stephen King's and Tom Clancy's.

Post suggestions.

I like Dan Brown as well Disliked Digital Fortress, and I think Angels and Demons were better than teh Da Vinci Code. The Lost Symbol I loved, but I think the ending was kinda weird.

I'm also waiting for Eragon 4 I read the first books first when I was a little younger, but when I re-read the first I didn't like how it was written as well as the first time... Though, 'cuz I've read all the others I think I'll have to read number 4 as well

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Rauno View Post
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
    Yeah, that's a great series ! :P I read untill "So long, and thanks for all the fish", cuz I thought the story lost some of it's glory about then.

Deleted
    Day of the dragon and night of the dragon or Lord of the clans (about thrall and how he escaped durnhold)

Quote Originally Posted by Poofngone View Post
    Day of the dragon and night of the dragon or Lord of the clans (about thrall and how he escaped durnhold)
    Was going to mention them, but forgot the names of them I've read those too, they are great

I suggest everyone reads these books.
    They are on different aspects and most importantly they are NON fiction.

Think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill, even if you don't learn anything the inspiration lives some of the people in the book had are amazing.

The Game by Neil Strauss again even if you don't want to become a pick up artist knowing that there is a group out there that treats women as walking masturbators is important to protect your girlfriend,wife and daughters.

Rich dad poor dad by Kyozaki Robert, the other books by this author are crap this one however is really a gem. Sure people give it too much credit right now but it really is a very good book that everyone should read sometimes.

The selfish gene by Richard Dawkins, this book is a little bit more technical but by reading it you really understand many aspects of life and why some people are the way they are.

The monk who sold his ferrari the only fiction book in the list, it really is one hell of a book.

48 Laws of Power is a very weird book nonethless some of the principles are very interesting.
    Pew pew

Quote Originally Posted by Pullup View Post

Think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill, even if you don't learn anything the inspiration lives some of the people in the book had are amazing.

The Game by Neil Strauss again even if you don't want to become a pick up artist knowing that there is a group out there that treats women as walking masturbators is important to protect your girlfriend,wife and daughters.

Rich dad poor dad by Kyozaki Robert, the other books by this author are crap this one however is really a gem. Sure people give it too much credit right now but it really is a very good book that everyone should read sometimes.

The selfish gene by Richard Dawkins, this book is a little bit more technical but by reading it you really understand many aspects of life and why some people are the way they are.

The monk who sold his ferrari the only fiction book in the list, it really is one hell of a book.

48 Laws of Power is a very weird book nonethless some of the principles are very interesting.
    Only heard about The Game of those, but might definitely check them out some time in the future

Deleted
    The Name of the Wind (I cried reading it. Never happend before. It really is that good) and the upcoming sequel The Wise Man’s Fear. I can't wait

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pullup View Post
    [...]
    rly a must read.

Asshole: How I Got Rich & Happy by Not Giving a Damn About Anyone & How You Can, Too by Martin Kihn, very entertaining (non fictional)
    Salmon Fishing in the Yemen by Paul Torday. Funny for those with a sick kind of humour.
    if you in real sick humour something that is totally diferent, try books by Arto Paasilinna, only a few of him are translated into english.
    For history fans, all books by Bernard Cornwell are great, try the Viking Saga I like those most. (its fictional history)

Anything by Douglas Coupland (JPOD, microserfs)

Jennifer Government

If you're into crime/thriller, Simon Kernick is an excellent writer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Books I liked (or loved) and that I know are available in English.
    - JPod by Douglas Coupland
    Life as a programmer. Amazingly witty, decent story and rather unorthodox writing.
    - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
    Humorous sci-fi. Featuring a simple earth man, an alien named Ford Prefect, and the two-headed president of the Galaxy. Also answers the "question to life, the universe and everything.
    - Everything ever written by Terry Pratchet.
    - Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
    The most badass book I've ever read. Protagonist is Hiro Protagonist, a Samurai-sword toting Freelance Hacker. Book is funny, well written, badass and interesting.

If I think of more I'll post them.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChildeRoland View Post
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.
    So true. Best three books I've ever read. The movie, sadly, sucked hard imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Game of Thrones" series by George R. R. Martin? FANTASTIC series, those who love Wheel of Time will love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    "RAWRIMABEAR" only goes so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Siika View Post
    So true. Best three books I've ever read. The movie, sadly, sucked hard imo.
    Third time I read it (when I was a little older, and it aws a long time since I've read it), I think I almost cried a little in the end

---------- Post added 2010-12-08 at 02:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jakebert View Post
    "Game of Thrones" series by George R. R. Martin? FANTASTIC series, those who love Wheel of Time will love it.
    Thanks, will check it out

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.
    Its about a boy called Azoth, who seeks to become the apprentice of Durzo Blint, the city's best wetboy(an assassin with magical powers). Its a bit more graphic than some of the books out there but its definitely a good read. Once you start reading I can almost guarantee that you are going to get hooked.

The Erevis Cale Trilogy and The Twilight War Trilogy by Paul S. Kemp.
    I read them a long time ago so I can't really detail them all that well, so I'll let the internet do it for me
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erevis_Cale (links to the books are at the bottom of the page).

Don't let my crappy descriptions scare you off; all 9 books are really, really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabuza View Post
    I would go outside but the sun is out there right now
    Quote Originally Posted by 3clipse View Post
    Guys, we can autoshot while moving.

Whatever else they do, doesn't matter <3

When the wind blows and the lake house by James patterson

Deleted
    If you're into urban fantasy, I can highly recommend Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs really good series in my opinion.

Also Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan, movie sucked, the books however, are really awesome.

And anything by Richelle Mead.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you like zombie related books:

World War Z by Max Brooks
    Day by Day Armageddon JL Bourne
    Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile JL Bourne

For the DbD books, I was very unhappy about the twist, but I still think these books are excellent.
    This passion is a plagiarism.