Goblins and Rocket Racials

Ok so I got cata and started a goblin rogue to make up for my 80 rogue I moved to another server which should eventually bring me back to one of every class on that realm at max level when I get him there however I've been using this Rocket Jump ability for a quick "speed" boost. Now I don't wanna say this because it's a pretty negative thing. But the Rocket Jump ability absolutely sucks. And the belt rocket launcher isn't much better. For one... on even level terrain it only puts you about 20 yards in front. On barely inclined terrain you only get maybe 10 yards. Really the only time I can see it being useful in terms of gaining actual distance is on a down slope which can actually get you hurt.

I know a lot of these abilities are designed to be sort of pvp oriented but really the goblin racials suck. They might be alright if they were on a one minute cooldown but for 2 minutes its crap. The rocket barrage might end up being alright at 85 but the rocket jump I can't forsee ever being overly useful.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Am I being too harsh? It honestly seems like these idea's were good on paper but really bad in reality. The rocket jump should actually launch you up and forward or at least at an angle that you can gain a decent distance no matter what.

well i can see how you think it sucks from a PVE perspective and yeah, the rocket barrage would probably be better, maybe even usefull in late game..
    But for PvP as for example: a Goblin hunter, this racial is godly.
    Rocket jump + disengage (and if you are MM, disengage again with CD removal spell..if you can do that, can't remember anymore :S)

that's 2(3) jumps. you'll be as good as uncatchable if you play it right.
    Haha, then you got a nice GM. Once had a guildy who's ZG snake "TrouserSnake" was renamed (by the GM) to Bob. Since this was way back in Vanilla, we all laughed at him and his snake that got "Bobbed".

Deleted
    I think casters and hunters love this, dont see why this is 'useless'

Quote Originally Posted by Octavios View Post
    I think casters and hunters love this, dont see why this is 'useless'
    In short. Because it basically suffers from the same bug that blink use to except in some cases worse cause of it's long cooldown.

15+ Year Old Account
    Race changed my rogue at 12:01 to goblin, the rocket launcher is crap damage for melee(does a little more than half the damage the tooltip states), but the rocket jump is the most fun I've had so far in Cata. I do hate how slow the rocket launcher is, but I hardly use it anyway.

First thing I did was duel a mage a few times, after swapping from undead it was nice to have a useful racial outside of priests/locks/warriors. I pretty much use it every chance there is; like after the chains are down on the first boss in Blackrock Caverns, squeaking out extra damage and jumping away before the explosion.

Yeah I find myself using it a lot in the leveling process but mostly in the same way mages use blink. Just to get a little bit farther ahead. Or to get away from a mob that's after me. But my goblin is a rogue so eventually its gonna become nearly pointless outside of pvp as I'll have sprint and vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by frunken View Post
    Race changed my rogue at 12:01 to goblin, the rocket launcher is crap damage for melee(does a little more than half the damage the tooltip states), but the rocket jump is the most fun I've had so far in Cata. I do hate how slow the rocket launcher is, but I hardly use it anyway.

First thing I did was duel a mage a few times, after swapping from undead it was nice to have a useful racial outside of priests/locks/warriors. I pretty much use it every chance there is; like after the chains are down on the first boss in Blackrock Caverns, squeaking out extra damage and jumping away before the explosion.

Yeah i'm kinda dissatisfied as well. The rocket launch ability does way too little damage..it's not even worth using the GCD on. If it was off the gcd then it would be great!

However the rocket jump I'm actually loving. It's not overpowered but it still gets the job done. One of the main things I've been using it for is surviving huge fulls. Pop it when you're approaching the ground and you take no damage on landing. :-)

Well, you're a rogue so..Have you tried using it while under the effects of sprint? That additional speed should cause it to launch you much further. Due to the fact you are a rogue, you also pick up the ability slow fall at some point...So think of this. You're in WSG, coming out of the flag room with the flag. Take the route that goes through their graveyard, sprint through it and launch yourself off of the cliff for maximum distance with minimal damage.

Deleted
    For me the rocket jump is awesome, you can jump off a cliff and hit rocket jump before you hit the ground and take no damage. Fair enough probably not going to be useful in PvE raids but its a fun ability that can be used questing, pvp and just jumping off anything high and not dying.

Love the jump, the rockets are a waist of a GCD tho. Also they need a 1 minute CD imo, but i still enjoy it

Deleted
    The jump is way better than the Worgen sprint in PvP imo.

Haven't really seen the rockets used at all.