Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Computer keeps crashing

Okay, so for some reason every time I log onto wow and try to get onto one of my characters, my computer shuts down and goes to a blue screen saying that it has to shut down to prevent permanent damage. After logging back on and diagnosing what went wrong, it said something about an issue with my graphics driver. After that I tried:

Updating my driver: Failed.
    Using the World of Warcraft - Repair: Failed.
    Restarting my computer: Failed.
    Shutting my computer down for 20 minutes: Failed.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling Wow: Failed.
    Restoring my computer to December 1st: Failed.
    Getting angry and yelling at my computer: Failed.
    Sobbing: Failed.

Nothing has worked to fix the problem and I've run out of ideas.
    Can anyone help me?

Can you play any other 3D games? Do all fans inside your computer work properly? (case fans, cpu fan, graphics card fan, psu fan)

Can you log temperatures of both your CPU and GPU (and preferably motherboard and everything possible) during the time the crash occurs?

Since you already tried reinstalling drivers, most likely explanation is that the graphics card is seriously overheating because of bad case ventilation when it tries to start 3D acceleration, or it's outright broken. Checking out temperatures can rule out possible overheating. Another possible reason is that your PSU shuts down when the graphics card overloads it.

Also, can you try starting WoW with some other graphics card, or use your current one in some other computer?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    What graphics card do you have? Does it always crash at the same place during logon or have you managed to get further once or twice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Vess has a lot of good tips. I would try those first.

Also, I would recommend completely uninstalling your graphics drivers, clearing out your drive with something like Driver Cleaner, and then reinstalling your drivers (assuming you didn't do this already). Quite often, simply updating drivers without uninstalling can leave extra files that conflict with the current files and cause instability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    What graphics card do you have? Does it always crash at the same place during logon or have you managed to get further once or twice?
    It varies.

I've made it onto my characters for up to a minute or two before it will freeze up and shut down.
    Other times I wont even get off of the loading screen.

Deleted
    If you feel confident take apart your pc, clean it (paintbrush + vacuum cleaner) then re-assemble it.
    Gets rid of loads of gremlins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Can you play any other 3D games? Do all fans inside your computer work properly? (case fans, cpu fan, graphics card fan, psu fan)

Can you log temperatures of both your CPU and GPU (and preferably motherboard and everything possible) during the time the crash occurs?

Since you already tried reinstalling drivers, most likely explanation is that the graphics card is seriously overheating because of bad case ventilation when it tries to start 3D acceleration, or it's outright broken. Checking out temperatures can rule out possible overheating. Another possible reason is that your PSU shuts down when the graphics card overloads it.

Also, can you try starting WoW with some other graphics card, or use your current one in some other computer?
    I've tried running LoL(League of Legends) and it ran fine.
    I took off the case cover and it didn't help, the fans seem to be running fine.
    And this is my only graphics card.

---------- Post added 2010-12-08 at 10:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Optoclopt View Post
    If you feel confident take apart your pc, clean it (paintbrush + vacuum cleaner) then re-assemble it.
    I'll try right now.

Deleted
    Remember to take photos if your unsure.
    Also, touch the psu to de-static yourself and dont touch any electrical contacts.
    Dust + dodgy connections make up most of the PCs i repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzi View Post
    It varies.

I've made it onto my characters for up to a minute or two before it will freeze up and shut down.
    Other times I wont even get off of the loading screen.
    Need details of your computer specs (motherboard, ram, cpu, graphics card, psu at least) and temperatures.

With current info I'd say:

overheat (motherboard or graphics card) >>> broken RAM > broken graphics card > PSU overloaded
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    ! I would be very careful doing this. Some vacuum cleaners use metal instead of plastic at the end. If you touch certain connections with the metal part of the vacuum cleaner you can blow it up.

Deleted
    Only if your dumb enough to leave it on and literately whack the inside of your pc with the end.
    For those with little to no dexterity i would suggest using a soft paintbrush (girlfriends old makeup brush works perfectly btw - ask first) to dislodge dust and use the vacuum just at the bottom of the case.

Deleted
    Only if your dumb enough to leave it on and literately whack the inside of your pc with the end.
    For those with little to no dexterity i would suggest using a soft paintbrush (girlfriends old makeup brush works perfectly btw - ask first) to dislodge dust and use the vacuum just at the bottom of the case.
    Even if it's off, this can happen

my computer was doing kinda the same thing. it turns out it is the fan on my video card. wow just seems to make it all hott and bothered or something. until i can buy a new video card i have the cover off of and i have a desk fan to keep it cool. i was having allot of crashes and as long as i keep the fan on i have no problems, runs like a champ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG ROB View Post
    my computer was doing kinda the same thing. it turns out it is the fan on my video card. wow just seems to make it all hott and bothered or something. until i can buy a new video card i have the cover off of and i have a desk fan to keep it cool. i was having allot of crashes and as long as i keep the fan on i have no problems, runs like a champ
    Turns out that that is the problem.
    Keeps overheating.

But for some reason, even though I took of the case cover and placed a fan in the spot where the card is, it still keeps crashing. Is there anything else I could do?
    Ideas, anyone?

Ideas, anyone?
    Yeah, looks like I'm being ignored here repeating this for the third or fourth time, but here's and idea:

Need more details about your computer, as outlined in this sticky. You will not get any genuinely helpful replies before doing that.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Yeah, looks like I'm being ignored here repeating this for the third or fourth time, but here's and idea:

Need more details about your computer, as outlined in this sticky. You will not get any genuinely helpful replies before doing that.
    Like I've said, I'm not computer savvy at all, so I'm not really sure where to look for all of the specs on it... But what I do know is:

Dell Inspiron 530S
    Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.60GHz Processor
    3GB of RAM
    32-bit Operating System

Im not sure what else there is to tell/look for. Sorry if that isn't enough.

Deleted

Using the vaccm cleaner inside a PC is actually a pretty bad idea due to the fact they can produce enough ungrounded static electricity to fry anything that's inside the case so I would personally avoid that and use a can of air outside to blow all the dust and crap out of the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
    Using the vaccm cleaner inside a PC is actually a pretty bad idea due to the fact they can produce enough ungrounded static electricity to fry anything that's inside the case so I would personally avoid that and use a can of air outside to blow all the dust and crap out of the case.
    Yeah, ended up not using a vacuum but instead I cleaned all of the dust out of it with a soft brush and also using air duster.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    If it was overheating, and now it isn't, it might be hardware failure. What component though is the tricky part.

Get this and run:
    http://www.memtest.org/
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Turns out that that is the problem.
    Keeps overheating.
    Even though you haven't stated, I assume you mean the GPU is overheating?

Have you checked to make sure that the fan on the card is spinning and not full of dust? I know that you said you've cleaned the interior of the case, but some people forget to get the grime out of fans.

Also, removing the case side is pretty bad for airflow. Even with a fan blowing on it, it can sometimes lead to worse temperatures, as adding that exterior fan can counteract what the fans inside the case are designed to do.