Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Shadow Priest Oom..

Am i the only one who is ooming nearly every pull in a dungeon?

same as me. Priest holy and shadow every mob makes me have 0% mana

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you using Dispersion, Shadowfiend, and Hymn of Hope (if you get really desperate)? If you're not using those on every cooldown, you have no reason to complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

Don't forget about Dark Archangel & SW (Masochism). The only times I've run out of mana so far is when the healer goes oom, and I am forced to start healing. By the way, you should be using Hymn of Hope anyway as usually the healer needs it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by heriana View Post
    Don't forget about Dark Archangel & SW (Masochism). The only times I've run out of mana so far is when the healer goes oom, and I am forced to start healing. By the way, you should be using Hymn of Hope anyway as usually the healer needs it.
    Glyphed dispersion, and as above i only oom if healer ooms or dies.
    even then with dispersion, arcance torrent, HoH and shadow fiend + if pally in group get might
    i dont really have much problem there. if you are ooming you are using the wrong rotation.
    and if your dpsing and you oom dont MC the highest health mob and start dpsing,
    a couple of MC and your good to go again.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to put Shadow Word: Death in your rotation; it restores 10% of your mana every time you use it (with Masochism). It's a DPS loss if you use it above 25% but a Shadow Priest with mana does more damage than an oom one.
    85 Priest/72 Druid/85 Mage/24 Shaman/56 Paladin

That's silly. Force us to use a spell that will lower our dps, to get mana. Priests in general seem to be having a hard time regening mana. I'm glyphed for Dispersion, talented for Shadow Fiend, pop Hymn almost every CD and still go oom all the time. Every trash pull, while a mage or lock will sit around 50-60% at the end, I'm at 10% or lower. I mean I'm losing almost 40% mana just buffing Fort Shadow Prot and Inner fire. Our spells cost way too much and need to be scaled down. I shutter when I think about fights that will be over 5 min, let alone raid bosses.
    Priest/DeeKay
    Support are troops

I've been having this problem myself, even when im using all my cooldowns. Havent glyphed Dispersion, but using it every CD, along with Shadowfiend and Hymn of Hope, and im still struggling... Also i make sure to get SW as the killeingblow every single time for spirittap, but it only makes me go that far still.
    I really hope this gets a fix, just dotting up a target takes 20k/65k mana...

Edit: Sorry. It takes about 14k for dots, then another 6k or so to get both evangelism and Empowered Shadows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Xlordhypnos View Post
    That's silly. Force us to use a spell that will lower our dps, to get mana. Priests in general seem to be having a hard time regening mana. I'm glyphed for Dispersion, talented for Shadow Fiend, pop Hymn almost every CD and still go oom all the time. Every trash pull, while a mage or lock will sit around 50-60% at the end, I'm at 10% or lower. I mean I'm losing almost 40% mana just buffing Fort Shadow Prot and Inner fire. Our spells cost way too much and need to be scaled down. I shutter when I think about fights that will be over 5 min, let alone raid bosses.
    Like Evocation, or Life Tap, or Mage Armor, or Seal of Insight, or Hymn of Hope, or Water Shield?

Almost every single mana recovery ability in the game is a DPS loss to use.

They also don't need to lower the mana cost of our spells, we just need to not be wearing greens which have no gems or enchants.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Like Evocation, or Life Tap, or Mage Armor, or Seal of Insight, or Hymn of Hope, or Water Shield?

They also don't need to lower the mana cost of our spells, we just need to not be wearing greens which have no gems or enchants.
    Seal of Insight isnt meant for rets and Watershield isnt a DPS loss for anyone except Enhanceshams, and they would never use it.
    And we already HAVE that Evocation-break in our rotation with Dispersion, but it still isnt enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post

So I have to put a spell into my rotation that is useless before 20% and pray to god somehow it deals over 11k damage to the target so I can proc my Masochism. I have about 114k with Kings and Fort. My SW : D never comes close to 11k when targets are over 20%. Relying on a ton of good RNG to get my 10% mana is lame, no two ways about it. Ya we all know it will get better with better gear. That's why we are in heroics to get that gear. But at this point in time, our spells do cost way too much.
    Priest/DeeKay
    Support are troops

15+ Year Old Account
    So I have to put a spell into my rotation that is useless before 20% and pray to god somehow it deals over 11k damage to the target so I can proc my Masochism. I have about 114k with Kings and Fort. My SW : D never comes close to 11k when targets are over 20%. Relying on a ton of good RNG to get my 10% mana is lame, no two ways about it. Ya we all know it will get better with better gear. That's why we are in heroics to get that gear. But at this point in time, our spells do cost way too much.
    looks like you shoud have read the masochism tooltip again

"When you take a damaging attack equal to or greater than 10% of your total health or damage yourself with your Shadow Word: Death, you instantly gain 10% of your total mana"

In the tooltip, it also reads that when you damage yourself with SW death, you gain 10% of your maximum mana. If you hit yourself over 10k with it, just another 10% on top of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    In the tooltip, it also reads that when you damage yourself with SW death, you gain 10% of your maximum mana. If you hit yourself over 10k with it, just another 10% on top of that.
    i was faster

btw, fact from wowhead:

"Its effect does not trigger twice when a Shadow Word: Death backlash deals more damage than 10% of your total health."

10+ Year Old Account
    I have about 114k with Kings and Fort. My SW : D never comes close to 11k when targets are over 20%. Relying on a ton of good RNG to get my 10% mana is lame, no two ways about it.
    read the talent description. it doesnt say that you have to damage yourself for 10%+ of your hp. try to use it without shield and with it. even if you will damage yourself for 100hp you`ll get your 10% mana, but if the damage will be absorbed - you`ll get nothing.

-_- too late with comment
    Last edited by Wogga; 2010-12-09 at 01:33 PM. Reason: too late to drink mineral water when kidneys are dead

Deleted
    So far I have never gone oom in dungeos. Fiend+glyphed dispersion+Archangel+Spirit Tap glyph+Arcane Torrent. Don't even have masochism.

Deleted
    SWD every cooldown, Dispersion as soon as you hit ~60% mana and then every CD and shadowfiend at start then every CD - you should just about live.

On heroic boss fights you *might* live without dispersing, but you have no hope if you dont SWD.

Quote Originally Posted by Gozzu View Post
    Seal of Insight isnt meant for rets and Watershield isnt a DPS loss for anyone except Enhanceshams, and they would never use it.
    And we already HAVE that Evocation-break in our rotation with Dispersion, but it still isnt enough?
    actually elemental shamans use lightning shield, so you are wrong to say that its just a dps loss for enhancement shamans

Quote Originally Posted by Gozzu View Post
    Water Shield isn't a DPS loss compared to Lightning Shield for Elemental, with the talent Fulmination? Hmmmm.

Anyway, Dispersion isn't really an Evocation-like break considering you can DoT things up and then run around while Dispersed, still doing damage, proccing Shadowy Apparitions, and regaining mana, so you don't have to actually stop doing anything.

I think people have just gotten used to dotting up ten mobs at a time and then going AFK until they are dead, leaving you with full mana.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

I'm surprised how many of these kinds of threads are showing up on the forums in the past few days... Seems people have been playing in their 277s too long and forgotten that the game was actually challenging when the content you're running is new and you're not overgearing it by 100i lvl.

There are plenty of mechanics to get mana back and it's not surprising in the least that we're going oom quickly becuase we're not decked in full epics anymore... The game has only been out for 3 days... Seriously, if you're struggling at every turn a month from now, then things might need a closer look and you might be doing things wrong.

With smart application of dots and good use of cds, I haven't run into any mana issues. Also have to consider your group composition (because remember, everyone is rolling in their greens/blues and few epics now) means mobs aren't dying just becuase you looked in their general direction anymore.