Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Hunters and auto-pull

(Was too afraid of posting this in the hunter forums!)

This isn't a whine about hunters because I've seen this far too many times now for it to be down to the player.

Has something changed with hunter mechanics because every instance I'm in (from 1 to 85) with a hunter involves at least 1 ninja-pull when they accidentally fire off a shot. I do genuinely believe this is done by mistake. What's going on, is there some bug?

I have noticed 1 thing: If the hunter's current target dies at the same time or shortly before they click an attack, the game auto-acquires another target and fires that attack at them. In my experience on my 80 hunter this was never the case before 4.01, am I right?

(Also, pets are going berserk in the new instances, charging/dashing in weird trajectories and pulling everything).

I actually just pulled something like that not even five minutes ago and thought to myself, "Self, you do that a lot. Maybe it's time to turn on the stop auto-attack option". Guess what I did. I turned off the auto-attack option and everything's golden now.
    Last edited by Zeryx; 2010-12-09 at 11:42 AM.

my problem is casting steady, the target dies, something happens, suddenly im casting steady on a unpulled mob, i move to cancel it, and cant cancel autoshot quick enough, with or without pet it still happens, therefore my pet is innocent
    Dwarfs, gods among humanoids, giants among... gnomes...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitch-hikers' Guide To The Galaxy: Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
    "Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

I'm leveling my goblin hunter atm, and I'm ninjapulling everything! It's all good though, speed things up! ;-)
    The thing is I spam Arcane shot for instance when I have focus, and a target dies, I have focus left and another mob within range, this mob gets the next arcane shot. It all happens very quick and you actually have to be careful not to do it. I find it quite annoying myself, so I'll probably turn off the auto-attack aswell.

I've played a Hunter for 6 years now and I am guilty of "ninja pulling" a few times. It's nothing new it's been happening since the UBRS days, the only difference is that it's just actually hurting the groups now.We are having to actually be careful of what we're pulling (not Hunters but everyone in general) thus when a Hunter ninja pulls there is a high possibilty that it wipes the group, thus people notice it opposed to WTLK Heroics if a Hunter was to shoot off into an extra mob the group could usually AoE it down before any harm is done.

As for the pet issue that's just either a bad Hunter who has no idea what pet control is (which is not suprising) or he/she is not paying attention. As I said I highly doubt there is a bug that's making hunters ninja pull it's just a lack of attention. If i'm hitting Cobra Shot at a mob with~10% health and I look away for a split second and continue my rotation (go to click Arcane shot or something) and that mob dies as I'm about to hit it it WILL target a mob currently not engaged and pull it. Knowing this I try to pay attention so I don't look like a douche. This is nothing new =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeryx View Post
    I actually just pulled something like that not even five minutes ago and thought to myself, "Self, you do that a lot. Maybe it's time to turn on the stop auto-attack option". Guess what I did. I turned off the auto-attack option and everything's golden now.

A-ha! So that's the problem.

I have noticed a few default settings have changed since 4.01 (like auto-loot default is set to 'off', wtf?) and this must be one of them. It literally happens every instance with a hunter in it. I ran 6 dungeons last like (3 vortex pinnacle, 3 stonecore) and the only times we died/wiped were when a hunter pulls another huge pack, it was getting rather ridiculous.

Yeah actually, I've done that like 5 times on my 25 hunter now, but I dont think its a bug, just me being silly.

I've been leveling a lot of alts lately and it always seems to be a Hunter that happens to pull ANY mob in ANY radius, ANY where regardless of the situation and it's starting to get on my nerves. In my last two instances I've actually started to kick Hunters.

Reason: For being a Hunter.

Honestly though... why's it always the Hunters?

i would sometimes do this with judgement (i'm holy, had the huge range)

i imagine if i had a hunter i would do this way too often

Quote Originally Posted by DonDonnie View Post
    I'm leveling my goblin hunter atm, and I'm ninjapulling everything! It's all good though, speed things up! ;-)
    The thing is I spam Arcane shot for instance when I have focus, and a target dies, I have focus left and another mob within range, this mob gets the next arcane shot. It all happens very quick and you actually have to be careful not to do it. I find it quite annoying myself, so I'll probably turn off the auto-attack aswell.
    Not precise. I stop shooting, do not use any skills, but still the game autoshots the next mob, if it's in range and view.
    That's why I developed the behavior of stay as far away from the mobs as possible. So the autoshot can't be fired, due to distance problems.
    Still, looks like everything concerning hunters and rogues is being ignored by Blizzard. They refuse to even acknowledge there are problems. It's like NO ONE was EVER complained.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    So the autoshot can't be fired, due to distance problems.
    Still, looks like everything concerning hunters and rogues is being ignored by Blizzard. They refuse to even acknowledge there are problems. It's like NO ONE was EVER complained.
    What's the issue with rogues?

Quote Originally Posted by Kharismal Abyss View Post
    I've been leveling a lot of alts lately and it always seems to be a Hunter that happens to pull ANY mob in ANY radius, ANY where regardless of the situation and it's starting to get on my nerves. In my last two instances I've actually started to kick Hunters.

Hunters have a ranged auto attack, other classes do not. Most of the general reasons/causes for why this happens have already been discussed. It's entirely avoidable, but for those new to the class, or those playing it as an alt, it will happen quite a bit. There have also been bugs with auto shot hitting targets the hunter wasn't targeting at all or random target switching, but those have been fixed whenever they pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by pleaserelax View Post
    Hunters have a ranged auto attack, other classes do not. Most of the general reasons/causes for why this happens have already been discussed. It's entirely avoidable, but for those new to the class, or those playing it as an alt, it will happen quite a bit. There have also been bugs with auto shot hitting targets the hunter wasn't targeting at all or random target switching, but those have been fixed whenever they pop up.
    I know about the auto-shot bug, but I'm just saying in general, a lot of Hunter's end up RUNNING into a pack of mobs.

Hm, I'm glad I read this.

I rolled a new undead hunter, and it's been driving me up a wall that if the mob I was doing steady shot or something on dies, I auto-shot the next closest mob in range. My main is a warlock, and we have no auto-cast spells (our wand doesn't even auto-shoot really; if the mob we're targeting dies, we stop wanding), so it's an entirely new thing for me. I've been feeling like I've been wearing the noob hat on my hunter...I want to explain, "No, wait, I've been raiding for 2 years, I don't know how the heck I pulled, it wasn't my pet, my main's a lock, I know how to control a pet!". And I guess I was noob anyway...now I know...turn off auto-attack!

Yeah i played a hunter for a long time and autopulled all the time. even if the 'auto shot' check box was off (whetever it says, i forgot). Made me look like a total idiot. For essentially this reason I stopped playing a hunter. Oh that and pet pulls when everyone jumps off of something. I did that all the freaking time too. We were doing timed ZA runs and i blew the run a few times because people were skipping mobs and my pet would screw things up. I had to learn to dismiss pet then jump through the hut. Gah. It was so annoying.

Hunter's have always been the leading ninja pull offenders. WotLK's de-emphasis on CC made this a non-issue but us TBC raiders remember how often this was a serious problem. Here is why it happens, and here is how to fix it:

Hunter's have ranged auto attack and instants that auto acquire a new target when spammed. The 'Stop Auto-Attack' option has nothing to do with this as someone else suggested. That only effects when you are switching from one target to another manually without a lapse. You can prevent this behavior by creating macro's for your shots in the following format:

/cast [harm] Arcane Shot

This will prevent the shot from automatically acquiring a new target and will stop a lot of your ninja pulls. However, when using the above macro, there is still a bug where if any harmful ability is pressed while casting Steady Shot, you will still acquire a new target automatically if the target dies while you are still casting. This has existed since /stopcasting was changed and I have reported it at least a dozen times and Blizzard has shown no desire to fix it. To get around this I try to prioritize instant abilities when a target is near death (made much easier since we were given Kill Shot) and if I do have to cast Steady Shot I stop spamming buttons.
    Last edited by Eurytus; 2010-12-09 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharismal Abyss View Post

give a hunter a chance cuse honestly ther are legit ones im not saying im insane but ive only done that maybe twice and that was while not patying attention argueing with my brother, and honestly its not that hard to fix a ninjapull(not sure about heroics havent gotten there yet) the second boss in throne of the tides the faceless dude there was a second hunter in group he ninja pulled he died then tank shortly after before healer got back from afk(hunter prob did on purpose cuse it wasnt like kil a mob then pull net one its like waitng then random pull) i as a hunter tanked the boss is deterence pet and priest bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytus View Post
    Hunter's have always been the leading ninja pull offenders. WotLK's de-emphasis on CC made this a non-issue but us TBC raiders remember how often this was a serious problem. Here is why it happens, and here is how to fix it:

Hunter's have ranged auto attack and instants that auto acquire a new target when spammed. The 'Stop Auto-Attack' option has nothing to do with this as someone else suggested. That only effects when you are switching from one target to another manually without a lapse. You can prevent this behavior by creating macro's for your shots in the following format:

/cast [harm] Arcane Shot

This will prevent the shot from automatically acquiring a new target and will stop a lot of your ninja pulls. However, when using the above macro, there is still a bug where if any harmful ability is pressed while casting Steady Shot, you will still acquire a new target automatically if the target dies while you are still casting. This has existed since /stopcasting was changed and I have reported it at least a dozen times and Blizzard has shown no desire to fix it. To get around this I try to prioritize instant abilities when a target is near death (made much easier since we were given Kill Shot) and if I do have to cast Steady Shot I stop spamming buttons.
    This is actually correct. Turning off auto attack in the interface does nothing to solve the real issue here. The real problem is that a lot of our abilities will automatically acquire a target for us, even though we didn't want one. Just stand close to a mob (without targeting it) and then hit ES, and you'll get an understanding of what the problem is.

Blizzard continues to tell us there is no problem here, and refuses to acknowledge the fact that there is indeed an issue that needs to be resolved.

Actually the pets going loco is also a bug that has popped up from time to time. I'me had my pet on passive, growl, off, and watched go ape shit charging whatever it desires.

I'm pretty lenient at times but if it happens a single time in a heroic, i'll kick every time.
    Worse is when they come back at you with the "we're hunters we're meant to pull" ... no your not you idiot.

Letting em tank a bit just gets you flamed by lolhuntards usually.
    And it's so ironic too because the times I've made a lolhuntard actually tank the mob (and get 1 or 2 shot), they come back and whine about their repair bill.

When do I get to whine about a repair bill when a lolhuntard pulls and I DO taunt all the mobs back to me only to wipe because maybe the healer didn't have mana and he survives because of feign death?