Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanno View Post
    This is actually correct. Turning off auto attack in the interface does nothing to solve the real issue here. The real problem is that a lot of our abilities will automatically acquire a target for us, even though we didn't want one. Just stand close to a mob (without targeting it) and then hit ES, and you'll get an understanding of what the problem is.

Blizzard continues to tell us there is no problem here, and refuses to acknowledge the fact that there is indeed an issue that needs to be resolved.
    This happens with melee classes as well, the difference is that if the melee is out of melee range, nothing happens except for the player targeting the nearest mob. Hunters are screwed since they can auto attack from so far away. Blizz used to make you have to use a macro to "target nearest enemy and start attack" (/startattack) but now it looks like they added it in by default.

http://joekey.deviantart.com Sig by Lilliputia! <3

Quote Originally Posted by w00t692 View Post
    Does not fix. Only bandaids. I shouldn't need to look and act like a tard to prevent the interface from automatically targeting something and shooting it.
    No, the fix is to stop spamming your buttons like an epileptic monkey.
    The interface doesn't choose new targets by itself.
    The player causes this with their actions.
    Actions, such as pressing your next rotational shot when the current target dies, chooses a new target by default.

What I do helps alleviate the problem of my errant button presses on trash that dies quicker than expected, such as those whom a warrior or pally crit kill before my GCD is ready on my <insert shot here>.

So, you can either look like a tard standing off to the side not facing the next trash pack (a smart tard) or you can look like a tard pulling the next trash pack because you refuse to not spam buttons/adjust your positioning (dumb tard).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurytus View Post
    Hunter's have always been the leading ninja pull offenders. WotLK's de-emphasis on CC made this a non-issue but us TBC raiders remember how often this was a serious problem. Here is why it happens, and here is how to fix it
    Or fix it w/ vote to kick and the message "do not pull". Unless ofc they apologize for a mistake because those do happen.

Deleted
    [Sarcasm]
    Yeah, there's nothing wrong with Auto Attack!

It's working as intended when you do this macro:
    #showtooltip Feign Death
    /PetPassive
    /stopattack
    /stopcasting
    /cast !Feign Death

And the Auto Shot icon will show as inactive - and your char stands up from FD and keeps shooting those damned auto shots...

Yeah, I ended up doing that a lot till I turned on stop auto attack. Still happens sadly but not nearly as much.

Auto Attack

For awhile now I have been wondering why if I select a target(mob) and I am in range of the target(mob) my hunter auto-shots. I have enable the stop auto shot with in the interface console and it still happens. After reading a few post on why this is happening allot of people have said that this is a bug. Then I read a post that said if you use right click on your mouse to acquire the target the hunter automatically starts to shot but if you use your left click on your mouse to acquire the target the hunter does not auto shot. So I tried this on a test dummy I stood with in range right click on the dummy to acquire my target and the hunter automatically started to shot. I then done the same used the left click to acquire my target and the hunter did not fire a shot. I even used my tab key to switch targets and when I acquire the new target the hunter stop shooting. I have to know train myself to use my left click instead of the right click to acquire targets. Hope that this will help a few Hunters.

To Mac36
    This is the default way how auto attack works fpr all classes, not just hunters alone.
    - Right click = start auto attacking
    - Left click = select target
    What is discussed here is something totally different.

I haven't played my hunter since Cata is out, but these posts made me curious enough to test is for myself tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.

Might this also have something to do with the new queueing system ? as in smack arcane shot too much, one fires kills target, queue system tries to fire the next arcane in the queue but due to no target it finds another one and does it..

Dunno never had that problem. Never ninja pulled in any instance during Cata. I don't see the reason to spam buttons when my tergeted mob is at 10% health. From what I've seen: 1. Hitting spell button while nothing targeted results in targeting nearest mob. 2. Hitting it second time casts the spell and enables auto attack.

The problem is the automaticly acquiring a target when using an ability...
    usually i stop casting instant shots if i know the mob is dead soon (to save focus) but an ability like cobra shot which is 'free' to spam i keep spamming till the end... if you spam it and the mob dies your next auto attack (even if the cobra shot doesnt finish) will pick a target in range (it not max range of shots, but far enough from the hunter that you wouldnt aggro it by walking by)... this means im usually pressing ESC several times when a mob dies to be sure my shots get canceled and i dont have anything targeted.

The pet issue is something else... if on defensive it seems to randomly charge targets that are on his or my aggro list... even if you send it to the main target it can jump of your target 5 seconds later... never had a problem with it running to not-engaged targets tho.

Quote Originally Posted by grimkiller View Post
    No, the fix is to stop spamming your buttons like an epileptic monkey.
    The interface doesn't choose new targets by itself.
    The player causes this with their actions.
    Actions, such as pressing your next rotational shot when the current target dies, chooses a new target by default.

What I do helps alleviate the problem of my errant button presses on trash that dies quicker than expected, such as those whom a warrior or pally crit kill before my GCD is ready on my <insert shot here>.

So, you can either look like a tard standing off to the side not facing the next trash pack (a smart tard) or you can look like a tard pulling the next trash pack because you refuse to not spam buttons/adjust your positioning (dumb tard).
    If you're in mid-steady shot, and the target dies, that shot will pick a new target if available. So this isn't always a case of button spam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tibben View Post
    It's typically because of auto shot. Casters and melee do not have this problem because casters do not have some phantom auto cast that goes off while they are casting a spell. If their current spell starts to target the next mob after their current one dies they just have to either use their stopcast macro or move an inch and even if the mob is still targeted they won't automatically start casting another spell at it.

If a hunter hits a button just as or just after (we're talking milliseconds here) a mob dies it will auto target the next mob and fire off an auto shot if the auto shot swing timer is up. If the auto shot swing timer is not up yet and you move it will interrupt your Cobra Shot (assuming you are not in aspect of the fox), but it will not stop auto shot from going off as soon as you stop moving unless you use a stopcast macro or hit escape to un-target the current target. Considering that as a hunter I am constantly spamming my keys with one of my attacks it is very very easy to accidentally auto shot a target that you didn't intend to shoot. It's not even a tab targeting thing, you just auto target the nearest thing and shoot it.
    This will get even more interesting since they just implemented auto-shot while moving in PTR...

I must been doing something wrong. I've been playing a Hunter for 1.5 years now and I never ninja-pull. Sure, the occasional getting to close to mobs or misclick, but not the way it's described here.

Deleted
    It happens to me all the time, the thing is, when a mob dies and i press a attack button after, it fires that to a randomly selected mob.. and if i then press explosive shot a millisecond after the last mob of a pack dies, i would pull another.

Quote Originally Posted by Armengar View Post
    The problem is the automaticly acquiring a target when using an ability...
    usually i stop casting instant shots if i know the mob is dead soon (to save focus) but an ability like cobra shot which is 'free' to spam i keep spamming till the end... if you spam it and the mob dies your next auto attack (even if the cobra shot doesnt finish) will pick a target in range (it not max range of shots, but far enough from the hunter that you wouldnt aggro it by walking by)... this means im usually pressing ESC several times when a mob dies to be sure my shots get canceled and i dont have anything targeted.

The pet issue is something else... if on defensive it seems to randomly charge targets that are on his or my aggro list... even if you send it to the main target it can jump of your target 5 seconds later... never had a problem with it running to not-engaged targets tho.
    Never had the problem you're talking about. Never.

i won't like, I've had this happen too. Ret Pally here. Something dies while you're mashing Judgement or Exorcism with an Art of War proc, there's a moment of latency or lack of attention, and suddenly you're being punched in the face by the next pull. =p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeryx View Post
    I actually just pulled something like that not even five minutes ago and thought to myself, "Self, you do that a lot. Maybe it's time to turn on the stop auto-attack option". Guess what I did. I turned off the auto-attack option and everything's golden now.
    I wish it were that easy. I tried that... didn't work. It did a while back but right now it isn't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorgen View Post
    I play an 85 hunter and this is not an issue for me.
    I have played my hunter since early TBC and i cant say that i have that problem either.

I think its just up to people to keep track of castingtime, mob-health and other variables....and formost, pay attention. Applies not only to hunters.

And after all, we are only humans, we do wrong sometimes

This happens to me even though I've made a habit of moving after killing each mob. Maybe my high latency is to blame, but often the game will target another mob and fire without me pressing any keys at all. It definitely started happening with the Shattering patch.

i've been a hunter as main since bc ..and i can tell you this isnt "tard" behavior ..or wutever...

its an issue and its starting to piss me off ..turning off "auto attck " does not work..

im using the old bc trick of moving backwards on the last couple of shots..but why should i have to do this..its slower

get in a fast group and they're gonna want to go fast..you backing up every mob u kill is time wasting and annoying

blizz:... turn off auto attack by defaut ..i can tab target another target fast enough and do not need this broken assistance

and before you reply ..with wutever..theres a lot of times when u need to put the hammer down...for example...youre in gb and for wutever reason some of the cc has gotten out youre mowing the mobs down fast before they can overwhelm the tank..theres still cc'd mobs ..yours ..in amongst them..last thing u need right then is a freekin autoswitch ..it really is just making heroics tedious
    Last edited by badrobot; 2011-01-18 at 02:24 AM.