Thread: Tennis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Mechagnome Gecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Emerald Dream
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    Women's tennis is in a terrible state, quality of play wise.
    Once the Williams sisters exist the tennis stage, things will be better. Right now they are a blight on women's tennis.

    I wonder how a prime Sampras would play against Nadal or Federer?

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    I wonder how a prime Sampras would play against Nadal or Federer?
    on clay he would be destroyed by both..

    but a prime sampras vs those 2 on hard would be epic

    and prime Roger vs prime Pete on Central Court Winbledon would be totally awesome

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Once the Williams sisters exist the tennis stage, things will be better. Right now they are a blight on women's tennis.

    I wonder how a prime Sampras would play against Nadal or Federer?
    The williams sisters are the only salvation women's tennis has atm. At least some quality players with experience who can actualy win a grandslam with their own power. In most other matches in the womans tour, it is a question of who has the less bad day and makes fewer mistakes.

    I see Serena, Venus, Kim and Justine who are maybe possible to realy overpower the enemy. The rest just waits for enemy mistakes or hopes for a worse day.

    It is a sign that having serve in women's tennis actualy is a disadvantage. I am sure that more than 50% of the games are breaks. Women's tennis is just weak -.- I stopped watching it when Justine retired, and i still avoid it even though she is back. Kim coming back and winning her first tournament ( us open !! ) is also a sign of how fragile woman's tennis is.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

  4. #24
    Brewmaster Robbyjawz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Deadmines
    Posts
    1,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagger View Post
    on clay he would be destroyed by both..

    but a prime sampras vs those 2 on hard would be epic

    and prime Roger vs prime Pete on Central Court Winbledon would be totally awesome
    This. I would pay just about anything to watch it.

    I like Nadal better than Federer even though Federer is better in my honest opinion, Federer also has a one handed backhand like myself. I love to watch either play, I get more out of watching Federer, but I just think Nadal is freaking amazing. Lefties are badass.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.
    Sane people are boring. Or else I've been around insane people so long that I can't tell the difference anymore. Either way, chase away those silly notions of linear thought: they have never done anyone good.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    The williams sisters are the only salvation women's tennis has atm. At least some quality players with experience who can actualy win a grandslam with their own power. In most other matches in the womans tour, it is a question of who has the less bad day and makes fewer mistakes.
    This is very, very true. We really haven't had anyone stay on top other than Venus/Serena. Each time someone makes a good run, they fall completely off. Jankovic, Ivanovic, Vaidasova, Mauresmo, but than others are too up and down to correctly gauge their future. If I had $1 for each time Zvonareva or Pennetta or Azarenka made a run to a tournament final to turn around and lose in the first round of the next tournament, i'd be... slightly richer, but there would be money to be had!

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    This. I would pay just about anything to watch it.

    I like Nadal better than Federer even though Federer is better in my honest opinion, Federer also has a one handed backhand like myself. I love to watch either play, I get more out of watching Federer, but I just think Nadal is freaking amazing. Lefties are badass.
    I think Roger lost a bit of "hunger" after finally winning the Roland Garros... like he lost interest in tennis, and i think this reflect huge on his mental more than phisical shape..
    but still, he's the best... give back wooden rackets and he win everything playing left handed...

    Nadal is a freak of nature, he's like a Shaq in his prime... destroy everything ^^

  7. #27
    Ah...women tennis is long gone. It was interesting when Graff, Seles and gorgeus Gabriela Sabatini took place, but nowdays it's just kinda boring.
    Mens tennis on the other hand has two blessings from the skies: Nadal & Federer. Their tennis matches, shots,skills are just beyond epic and this is one of the best tennis era ever. Federer, the classy shotmaker, brilliand ball striking abillities and a pleasure to watch. Nadal on the other hand, humble off the court, but a like hells unleashed on court, a beast, a tactial genious, his forhand is just the viscous and his mental thoughtness is just outside this world.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Matej View Post
    It's not boring to play. I love playing doubles, it's so much fun and adrenaline.
    I agree, singles can be fun to play if your playing a very competitive person but in doubles so much can happen, need the summer so i can start playing again

  9. #29
    The Patient Brader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    271
    Tennsi is a sport for rich people. All good tennis palyers had rich parents.
    However women tennis does get my attention. Jelena Dokic when she was young, if u watched her play when she was young u could hardly focus on the game.

  10. #30
    Mechagnome Gecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Emerald Dream
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by Brader View Post
    Tennsi is a sport for rich people..
    You couldn't be more wrong. Sure, a lot of the pros are from wealthier stock since they can afford the coaches and private court time at the clubs and the travel expenses necessary to compete, but anyone can learn and play tennis and have a great time. It's like bowling... just get out there and do it. Most public schools have outdoor tennis courts you can use during warmer months and you can meet new people there and learn tips from more experienced players.

  11. #31
    Tennsi can get rly boring to watch, but its fun to play

  12. #32
    The Patient Brader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong. Sure, a lot of the pros are from wealthier stock since they can afford the coaches and private court time at the clubs and the travel expenses necessary to compete, but anyone can learn and play tennis and have a great time. It's like bowling... just get out there and do it. Most public schools have outdoor tennis courts you can use during warmer months and you can meet new people there and learn tips from more experienced players.

    Sure u can do it for fun but im talking about professional level.
    All top players have rich parents, a poor kid can never go to the top.

  13. #33
    tennis is a interesting sport because you need skill and stamina

  14. #34
    Tennis is a sport usually played between two players (singles) or between two teams of two players each (doubles). Each player uses a strung racquet to strike a hollow rubber ball covered with felt over the net in the court of the opponent. And enjoys tennis by millions of recreational players and also very popular spectator sport in all parts of the world. Players have unlimited opportunity to challenge, but once three incorrect challenges in a group, they can not challenge again until the next appointment. If you go to a tie break, players are given one additional opportunity to challenge the call.

  15. #35
    do you like cheese? XD

  16. #36
    Brewmaster Robbyjawz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Deadmines
    Posts
    1,428
    Resurrecting this forum to start a discussion on the Australian Open! Who do you hope wins?

    Personally I want Novak Djokovic to win, as he is Serbian - the land where my ancestors came from, as well as I think he is just a likeable guy.

    I think Nadal will win though, as he is just a beast and Federer isn't getting any younger.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.
    Sane people are boring. Or else I've been around insane people so long that I can't tell the difference anymore. Either way, chase away those silly notions of linear thought: they have never done anyone good.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

  17. #37
    I think Rafa will win it. He is scary. I think he will break all of Federers records if he can avoid injury. I dont see who could stop him.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

  18. #38
    Brewmaster Robbyjawz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Deadmines
    Posts
    1,428
    Wawrinka is ticking me off right now. If I had his ability to play, it wouldn't matter if I might get dominated by Federer, I mean, try come on man! Try! Those who show no heart are wastes of talent in that case....
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.
    Sane people are boring. Or else I've been around insane people so long that I can't tell the difference anymore. Either way, chase away those silly notions of linear thought: they have never done anyone good.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

  19. #39
    Women's tennis is boring, too slow and too many annoying screams. I only watch that because of Maria Sharapova, Caroline Wozniacki, Ana Ivanovic and the other dolls whose names i can't recall atm.

    Now watching Nadal, Federer and Djokovic is awesome!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •