10+ Year Old Account
    FL ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡

Protection specialization over Retribution specialization for damage?

Hey all this thread is just to discuss the various reasons why taking protection spec is better than Retribution right now.

Ok the purpose of posting this thread is because I see Protection paladins while playing are ALOT more appealing than Retribution, They have a lot more survivability than Retribution, they can now gernerate a powerful and practically free self heal that before only a retribution paladin could provide (excluding Holy) Pre-Cataclysm through Art of War talent.

Protection's damage potential is also nearly as great as the Retribution's, along with amazing survivability, and the best part of it is that you don't have to worry about your blue bar anymore, as protection got a special ability to restore 30% of base mana each judgement.

Along with all the great damage output, survivability, mana efficency, and self healing protection paladins have now, you also can factor in the fact that you get almost instant dungeon queues aswell, and that every guild, even the best guilds are always in need of a good tank.

All in all protection is a great spec to take right now in my opinion, it's playstyle is really fun and entertaining, and I think it would be a great spec for choosing for anybody. Feel free to state your opinions on the 2 specs too
    Last edited by Cloux; 2010-12-09 at 02:31 PM.

Deleted
    If you're going prot to tank, then you're actually going to tank as prot...

In otherwords, outside of PvP, the *role* takes precedence. Don't for a second think that people will look at you as just a paladin in prot spec. They will see you first and foremost as a tank if you're in prot.

If you're just talking about questing, then yes, quest in whatever spec you like. However, I wouldn't be surprised if holy spec doesn't have higher survivability and their exorcism spam definitely hurts!

Post patch-4.0, I'd never ever play Ret. It's a broken spec as far as I'm concerned. Besides, having almost all the other classes giving me 18/21 dps specs to chose from, there's no way I'd chose Ret over them.

10+ Year Old Account
    FL ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡
    Yes Retribution is messed up severly right now, whitch is why I made this thread. To give people an idea of how great protection is right now, and to clarify, I never said you should take it over ret as a dps spec instead of tanking in the spec, I just said you can use the spec for doing great damage output while having great survivability and self healing when tanking mobs or dungeons.