Poll: How far?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If you had a one way time travel into the future how far would you go?

You have a way to time travel into the future but you can only do it once, alone and cannot come back to the present. You will land on the safest nearest point from where you time traveled. How far would you go and why? What are the upsides and downsides? What technologies do you want to see existing and being mainstream?

As for me I think I would go around 50 years into the future, to the year of 2067. I think that's long enough for us to have Full Immersion Virtual Reality, cure for many diseases, including cancer and maybe even something to avoid aging.

The downsides would be never see my parents and oldest family again, the ones my age would be old or may even have died before old age. Same with friends.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    500 years.

Enough that we "SHOULD" be advance enough to be out in space. Not too far that current History wouldn't be too outdated.

10+ Year Old Account
    100+ years (probly 500 like the poster above me, it's a good round number), in the hopes we have had some kind of massive advancement/breakthrough in interstellar travel.

And maybe by then someone will be able to explain and fix my chronic fatigue, because no doctor currently seems to know wtf it's being caused by, and it really sucks.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-10-01 at 12:15 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

I want my mind to be utterly BLOWN. I want to see the world in 2100 and be amazed at how far we've come

10+ Year Old Account
    150 years. Should have solved climate change problems by then, plus humans will likely live to 200+. Also less of a chance of us being completely gone. While unlikely there is a slight chance all or most humans could be on some kind of Ark ship in 500 years. 150 seems right. Im moving to Mars. Or maybe an outer planet moon.

10+ Year Old Account
    The year 1 million. I would like to visit that.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    The year 1 million. I would like to visit that.
    I think that's too much, you won't comprehend anything and we could even be extinct by then if something goes wrong.

I'd like 100+ to see how humanity develops, but It'd be an enormous culture shock and I would probably die on the streets with no way to communicate with people or getting a job. If earth is still inhabitable and I haven't teleported into a wasteland in the first place, that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we're not talking a generic year limit, I'd like to go forward far enough to see how humanity ends. Or if we ever reach our "full potential" and manage to survive.

If we're talking a generic year limit...I don't know. 500ish years would probably satisfy my curiosity to see what's what in the distant future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlightning View Post
    I think that's too much, you won't comprehend anything and we could even be extinct by then if something goes wrong.
    Yeah, but at least it would be interesting.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Xlightning View Post
    You will land on the safest nearest point from where you time traveled.
    It would be fun to pick a time well past the estimated heat death of the universe and see how this stipulation plays out.
    Signature not found

25 to see how my daughter is all grown up and how she turned out *proud moment*

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say fuck it, take me to the year 2117. I'd want to see if life became like Mass Effect and if we're banging hot alien chicks yet.

I wouldn't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiko View Post
    25 to see how my daughter is all grown up and how she turned out *proud moment*
    Probably traumatized behause her parent vanished 25 years ago and nobody could tell her why.

Deleted
    risky business.

if you go 10-50 years, you will be dirt poor when you arrive due to inflation and be quite fucked.
    if you go 100+ years, uncertainty of the future becomes a serious concern and you could end up in a vastly different kind of society or even no society at all, with all the risks that entails.

i'd take my chances and go a few hundred years though, as long as we get fusion working and can avoid another world war, there isn't much stopping us from reaching global quasi-post scarcity, in which case there is a good chance i would be accepted into society even if just for my archaeological value. i would take something with me that could physically destroy my brain quickly though, in case you end up in a worst case scenario.

To the end of the universe.

Anything over a 100 years cause i can bet i wont be alive then so why not see something i know i will never be alive to see.

50 years would be fine, that's about the end of my natural lifespan. It would be like seeing things past death, since I would be living from that point onward. Maybe some of the people I knew would still be around. Could see how far we have come and not be completely confused.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To a year when space travel is like walking down a street now. Everybody would be "what about it? It's just space travel" and I would be "AWESOME".
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side