Thread: In before whine

  1. #1

    Lightbulb In before whine

    Hi,

    I've been lurking on these forums for some years and decided to register when Cataclysm came out. I've come to think of all the crying that goes on inside these forums, in nearly every post, and I started thinking about what these people get out of it. I, for the record, wont be getting anything out of this thread other than quriosity quenching. Anyway...

    "I was corpsecamped for 14 hours".
    "I did LKH25 11th worldwide and now randoms are killing it".
    "They nerfed my class's dps output by 25%".
    "I was kicked out of a random dungeon group because I opened my mouth"
    "The game is too easy in general, stuff was way harder back in Vanilla/BC"
    "The game wasnt hard in BC/Vanilla, it was just broken"
    "Wotlk wasnt faceroll, have you done HLK25 within a respectable amount of time?"
    "Sunwell was hardcore, I want another Sunwell"
    "There wont be another Sunwell, why dont you get that?"
    "Frost mages are OP, I just got roflstomped by some keyturner"
    "Omg stuff cleared couple days into Cata omg, why is the game so easy omg"

    I guess you catch my drift...
    Like I said, Im curious as to why these forums are so infested with pointless crying. "If you want something done, do it yourself", I always say.
    If you're getting ganked, do what you have to do not to get ganked. If they nerfed your class, do what you have to do to stay on top. If shit is so easy, do what you have to do to get some challenge into your gaming. Shit aint gonna solve itself with you busting out pools of tears here.

    Tl;dr : Whiners bitch and moan about their best, non-whiners lurk these forums and grin at the cesspool of ineptitude their users are in general.

    Harmless post is harmless.

  2. #2
    Stop whining about people whining

  3. #3
    The Patient Nynde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazinger View Post
    Stop whining about people whining
    Stop stopping whining about people whining.

  4. #4
    Brewmaster Cairm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montréal, Canada
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by XyroN View Post
    Hi,
    Like I said, Im curious as to why these forums are so infested with pointless crying.
    Because peoples are either attention whores, trolls, or immature kids. Most of the time. I sometime find one thread that is extremely deep in thoughts, but they are quite rare.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Nynde View Post
    Stop stopping whining about people whining.
    I didn't say I hate it. Proper teminology for what I find it is amusing, I guess. People whining about stuff they can easily fix doesn't get old for me.

  6. #6
    Field Marshal Doonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazinger View Post
    Stop whining about people whining
    I have to agree with this, as well as the OP. MMO is pretty full of people complaining about things that should be on official forums, but unfortunately making a QQ thread about QQing isn't going to help. instead, keep making constructive and helpful posts and the QQ threads will dissipate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doonie View Post
    Add Factions to the quicklinks on the Cataclysm drop down menu pl0x!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Will do!
    You're Welcome MMO

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    4,137
    OP: Your post is the exact thing you are complaining about.

  8. #8
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    18,554
    Quote Originally Posted by XyroN View Post
    Like I said, Im curious as to why these forums are so infested with pointless crying.
    Its the 15th amendment or something..the "Freedom of QQ".

    Anyways...it is a hugely popular game, it has 12 millions playing. I won't be surprised if it shatters sale records again. Naturally 12 million ppl have 182736 gazillion opinions...and forums are the place to vomit them out.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    OP: Your post is the exact thing you are complaining about.
    I would hardly call this post whine in any stretch of the imagination. I guess my "Tl;dr" wasnt good enough. It probably should have said: "Im curious as to why you people dont deal with your problems instead of crying about them here where it'll do you no good".

  10. #10
    Well, I had a nice, well thought out, 3 structured paragraph response typed. Then I got side tracked, closed the tab, did not copy/paste and now oh well.

    TL;DR (because I did not post anything)

    There is a new generation of kids that does not know how to do things for themselves due to parents who hover over them at all times. These parents would rather give in to the child rather than deal with confrontation. This results in a generation that feels as if it complains enough it will get what it wants.
    As a college instructor, I see very many of these people. I know for a fact that at least 5 of my students goes on the wow forums and complains about something that is perfectly fine (such as running wild/thrall/mounts/difficulty)
    These students have said many dumb things to me, such as "You did not say we could not plagiarize this paper, so why did I get a 0?"
    I greatly enjoy messing with them, as most of them have never been in a situation where their parents cannot help them. (I get plenty of phone calls from parents, I like to mess with them too )

    So, these people will not stop complaining until they either realize it will not change anything, or get kicked in the teeth. I vote for the latter of the two.

    Oh, MMOchampion, please make a sub-forum for complaints and "QQ". Or the opposite, a "constructive conversation" forum.

  11. #11
    Grunt
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stormwind Park. Oh wait..
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by XyroN View Post
    Hi,

    I've been lurking on these forums for some years and decided to register when Cataclysm came out. I've come to think of all the crying that goes on inside these forums, in nearly every post, and I started thinking about what these people get out of it. I, for the record, wont be getting anything out of this thread other than quriosity quenching. Anyway...

    "I was corpsecamped for 14 hours".
    "I did LKH25 11th worldwide and now randoms are killing it".
    "They nerfed my class's dps output by 25%".
    "I was kicked out of a random dungeon group because I opened my mouth"
    "The game is too easy in general, stuff was way harder back in Vanilla/BC"
    "The game wasnt hard in BC/Vanilla, it was just broken"
    "Wotlk wasnt faceroll, have you done HLK25 within a respectable amount of time?"
    "Sunwell was hardcore, I want another Sunwell"
    "There wont be another Sunwell, why dont you get that?"
    "Frost mages are OP, I just got roflstomped by some keyturner"
    "Omg stuff cleared couple days into Cata omg, why is the game so easy omg"

    I guess you catch my drift...
    Like I said, Im curious as to why these forums are so infested with pointless crying. "If you want something done, do it yourself", I always say.
    If you're getting ganked, do what you have to do not to get ganked. If they nerfed your class, do what you have to do to stay on top. If shit is so easy, do what you have to do to get some challenge into your gaming. Shit aint gonna solve itself with you busting out pools of tears here.

    Tl;dr : Whiners bitch and moan about their best, non-whiners lurk these forums and grin at the cesspool of ineptitude their users are in general.

    Harmless post is harmless.
    I agree that there is a lot of pointless complaining and whinging about utterly insignificant matters, or matters that the poster can do nothing to alter. The mini raggy pet being giving a cooking fire effect was a great example. (The current Blizz policy of making everything less time consuming/more accessable to all players although a positive move for the majority of the player base has the negative side-effect of cultivating the growing culture of self-entitlement that a lot players seem to be developing.)

    But I can give you a definitive answer as to why most people do it and will continue to do it. Simple psychology - when people suffer what is a supposed injustice to them they will "vent" about it. It's a reaction to the outrage of what is happening. If you do not agree with something, the next best thing you can do other than solve the issue (in most cases wow related this is impossible), confront the offending person (again mostly impossible in wow terms as those cowardly blizz employees hide away on crab island) is merely to vent about it to those close to you. On an MMO such as wow though, the best place to speak with others who may be in a similar position other than in a guild environment (and to seek affirmation that your outrage was just) is on forums such as it is a wider platform. It simply makes you feel better knowing that you are not alone in your apparent outrage/sufferance.

    Bitching/complaining is a social act after all, and this is a multiplayer game.

    Also, people come on here to discuss a game they clearly enjoy greatly or have a great interest in and you cannot please everybody with every aspect of such a huge game so there will always be dis-satisfied wowjunkies.

    Hope this helped.
    Last edited by Bearer; 2010-12-09 at 03:48 PM.

  12. #12
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to get at with this thread. This is a gaming forum, for a specific game, the purpose of such a forum is to discuss the game in question, which inevitably includes things that you dont like/agree with in the game, if you ignore everything about the game which you think could be improved upon then you dont have a very interesting forum.

    That said there are a lot of pointless posts, and idiotic posters, but that's the nature of the internet in general, there simply isn't the moderation power on a forum of this size to delete/ban every stupid post. (Although, recently i've noticed the mods have been particularly good at closing threads/banning idiots very quickly)
    Last edited by Dalroth; 2010-12-09 at 04:18 PM.

  13. #13
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,351
    Sometimes forums can get out of hand, and we do our best to control the situation. We can't however be in all places at all times. If you are looking for constructive posts I suggest using the search function to find what you're looking for.

    Also, if you find that someone is trolling or flaming, please use the Report Button at the bottom right corner of the posts and the moderators will do their best to handle the situation. This option is 10x better than replying to trolls and helps keep the forums clean.

  14. #14
    Stop whining about people whining

  15. #15
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,655
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Its the 15th amendment or something..the "Freedom of QQ".

    Anyways...it is a hugely popular game, it has 12 millions playing. I won't be surprised if it shatters sale records again. Naturally 12 million ppl have 182736 gazillion opinions...and forums are the place to vomit them out.
    Unfortunately for those people these are the wrong forums for that. Blizzard won't read here that someone thinks that frost mages are OP, nor that aimed shot crits for 50k.
    Untill they realize this isn't the place to be, the majority of threads will be about that.

  16. #16
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,351
    Closed. Thread Necro'd from December by a ban evader.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •