Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

'New' Shadow Orbs, DoT dmg mechanic

For me, the 'new' Shadow Orbs and Empowered Shadows (was it this name?) 10%+mastery dmg on DoTs seem quite boring. Correct me if I'm wrong!
    As far as I know, after consumin a Shadow Orb (or more) via MB or MS I will get a flat 10% more dmg on my DoTs, increased by Mastery Rating.
    But I wonder if they changed the way the dmg modifiers on spells, since when I heard last, the dmg is calculated when applying the DoT, so for example you would always want to use a trinket before you apply the DoTs. Let's say you have x Spellpower and the trinket adds y to it: use the trinket, cast DoTs with x+y Spellpower and they will tick for the dmg of the increased SP for the full duration, even if the buff effect of the trinket falls of and you are back to only x SP.

Is this the case for the 10%% dmg buff aswell or will the buff be checked and the dmg calculated right before each single tick, so I get a benefit, even if the buff wasnt present when the DoTs hae been casted?

The Empowered Shadows bonus is ONLY added when the dot is applied, subsequent ticks will not be re-calculated.
    In other words: to get the highest DOT ticks, apply dots when you have the ES buff, don't apply dots and then hit mind blast.

Simplified, boring annoying mastery is boring and annoying. a % damage increase like what mages have is more interesting than this clunky mechanic tbh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lackluster View Post
    The Empowered Shadows bonus is ONLY added when the dot is applied, subsequent ticks will not be re-calculated.
    In other words: to get the highest DOT ticks, apply dots when you have the ES buff, don't apply dots and then hit mind blast.
    That's really diappointing, I really had hopes that they changed the mechanic.. At least the logic suggested it, why on earth should they create such a boring Mastery.
    So this means all DoTs cast at the beginning of an encounter will have to be reapplyed as soon as Empowered Shadows is up for the first time, this will also be the time to pop trinkets. I would honestly prefer a built-in dmg buff, if a really fun Mastery is not something we can ask for.
    Thanks for the input.

So when Mind Flay refreshes SW:P (via Pain and Suffering), will it use Empowered Shadows if it's active? Or does only the original cast of SW:P count?

Also, doesn't Empowered Shadows give the same buff regardless of how many Orbs you have up. If so, you should be able to get and orb almost immediately, and then start setting up all your DoTs.....right?

I'm still a shadow noob, so please pardon my noob questions.

Only Sw: P will update. You will still need to update VT and DP after Emp Shadows.

You shouldn't wait for orbs. Just use them as they come. That would be time lost damaging.

There's not a lot of solid info on Shadow right now but I looked up what I could on ShadowPriest.com and various forums.

I'm not a fan of our Mastery bonus but I do like the Orbs.

"I want a Tier that actually looks stereotypical.
    Hunter in camo; Rogue in ninja gear; Priest in a prison uniform - that sort of thing."

Shadow priest mastery is essentially shadow weaving, just less reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukhothai View Post
    That's really diappointing, I really had hopes that they changed the mechanic.. At least the logic suggested it, why on earth should they create such a boring Mastery.
    You mean like Unholy or Frost Death Knights, BM or Survival Hunters, Enhancement Shaman, Assassination or Subtlety Rogues, Feral Druids, Fire Mages, all Warlocks?

So this means all DoTs cast at the beginning of an encounter will have to be reapplyed as soon as Empowered Shadows is up for the first time, this will also be the time to pop trinkets. I would honestly prefer a built-in dmg buff, if a really fun Mastery is not something we can ask for.
    Thanks for the input.
    What this means is you open with Shadow Word: Pain and Mind Flay for your first Orb, then you Mind Blast and flesh out your rotation. It makes it fun by the fact that you don't keep Mind Blast on cooldown now, that you cast it to keep up Replen or Empowered Shadows instead, or using an RNG blessed 3-orb Blast which refreshes both anyways. I don't know why you'd rather have a passive one.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    What this means is you open with Shadow Word: Pain and Mind Flay for your first Orb, then you Mind Blast and flesh out your rotation. It makes it fun by the fact that you don't keep Mind Blast on cooldown now, that you cast it to keep up Replen or Empowered Shadows instead, or using an RNG blessed 3-orb Blast which refreshes both anyways. I don't know why you'd rather have a passive one.
    Having to go through 3-4 mind flays to get an orb to cast mind blast to get the buff to cast your dots is so much fun.

Yeah, sometimes you'll get it on your first mind flay but I find that extremely rare. There is just a frustrating random factor to this that I find in no way fun. I'm all for making the rotation more complex, innovative, and compelling...but this is just boring. I'd much rather prefer a passive bonus.

Edit - I don't mind it once you get into the actual rotation, but getting that first orb is so annoying. And losing the buff between pulls is a pain too, since it's such a short duration (though I admit longer than shadow weaving was).

Eh, if you're finishing off a pull and you have an Orb hanging around, don't kill it. 60 second duration means even if you don't keep Empowered up, you still can start the next fight with one.

As for "preferring the passive". Affliction Warlocks got the free Shadow Damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzoti View Post
    Having to go through 3-4 mind flays to get an orb to cast mind blast to get the buff to cast your dots is so much fun.

Yeah, sometimes you'll get it on your first mind flay but I find that extremely rare. There is just a frustrating random factor to this that I find in no way fun. I'm all for making the rotation more complex, innovative, and compelling...but this is just boring. I'd much rather prefer a passive bonus.

Edit - I don't mind it once you get into the actual rotation, but getting that first orb is so annoying. And losing the buff between pulls is a pain too, since it's such a short duration (though I admit longer than shadow weaving was).
    First, I am not a fan of the RNG nature of our Mastery, but how can you say that a RNG based mastery is "boring" but a passive Mastery is not??? That makes No Sense.

Second, The buff lasts One minute, that is not exactly short, and Evangilism is 20 secs, that's not too bad either.

We won't have them at the begining of a boss fight but when you consider a 6 minute boss fight where you have to wait 15 secs at worst to get your first orb it really is not that much of a damage done loss in the grand scheme and those freaking out about it really need to breath into a paper bag and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Eh, if you're finishing off a pull and you have an Orb hanging around, don't kill it. 60 second duration means even if you don't keep Empowered up, you still can start the next fight with one.

As for "preferring the passive". Affliction Warlocks got the free Shadow Damage.
    I wasn't talking about the orbs. I was talking about the 15 second empowered shadow buff.

I guess really my main problem with the mastery is getting that first orb to get the buff. It just makes starting the rotation extremely boring. And yeah I understand saving an orb at the end of a fight to start the next with a mb...but it doesn't always work out that way.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I also don't like the RNG in our opening rotation. I have actually sat there through a boss with my DoTs and MF going and didnt get a orb till it was almost dead. While the boss was only a five man and not a raid and i doubt that it would take that long in a raid environment still that was near a minute without an orb to get Empowered shadow.
    "We are not tools of the goverment or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing I was good at, but at least I fought for what I believed in." -Gray Fox-

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm a little bit OT but is it the same when Archangel is popped, or does it apply to dots still ticking?
    Main
    Epox
    PvP Alt (lololol Icelance)
    Zyke
    Decent Alts
    Nyli
    Ashuna

Archangel doesn't do anything to DoT damage.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

I think this is the reason for mind spike? it clears all your dots anyways and you can reapply them? I was just wondering WTF is Mind Spike good for? now I know.

Why would you want to clear them all away?

You are going to reapply Vampiric Touch and Devouring Plague, so why not just reapply them directly instead of removing them and then putting them up again?

Also, this wastes 1 GCD casting Mind Spike and another GCD casting Shadow Word: Pain, which you don't need to re-cast since it's automatically updated by Mind Flay.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hit 83 last night, starting to feel that gear/stat crunch. I'm really hoping that things improve with gear at 85. I agree, i'm starting to see that 3 MF before orbs hit full, yet need the MB for the replen in certain dungeons/groups. I like the concept of the weaving as it's interesting, but wished it wasn't quite so RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    Hit 83 last night, starting to feel that gear/stat crunch. I'm really hoping that things improve with gear at 85. I agree, i'm starting to see that 3 MF before orbs hit full, yet need the MB for the replen in certain dungeons/groups. I like the concept of the weaving as it's interesting, but wished it wasn't quite so RNG.
    You only need 1 Orb to apply the full effect of Empowered Shadows. The only thing additional Orbs do is add to the Mind Blast/Spike damage.

Not liking this new Shadow Priest gameplay...too fricken clunky. And your FORCED to SW: D to get mana back, which turns out to be a dps loss. Then again a SP with no mana is a dps loss :P

Imo, I think so far the whole thing is slightly overtuned. It's ridiculous having to pop dispersion/SF after every pull almost (Multiple mob groups like in Stonecore/VP).

--

We have so much stuff to look after it's not really enjoyable for me now. ES just adds to it, sure it comes off MB every CD...IF your MF has crit and activated an Orb...