Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Posting and you, a kind reminder

Hey all,

I would like to point everyone's attention to a few points that really need to change if we want this community to remain a fun place to post in, read, and be a part of. I'm posting this in the WotLK General section as it is the most visited one, but obviously it applies to all parts of our forum.

Over the last few weeks/months, I have - and I'm sure many of you as well - noticed a very disturbing increase of "rudeness" in the posts being made on these forums.

A lot of new members have joined us lately, and I'm afraid a lot of them did not read our FAQ.

Allow me to summarize a few of my biggest eye-sores:
    • Do not - ever, under any circumstance - be rude in your replies: Do not call anyone a retard, moron, asshole, bitch, stupid ass, or anything that comes remotely close to an insult.
    • Don't post pictures of the lolcats-genre or "Cool story bro" or the Captain Picard Facepalm, or anything else that's considered "hilarious" by your average 7-year old. We do not appreciate it, and when I say we I mean the modsquad. Any offence we see or get reported will be met with a ban. No exceptions there.
    • Do not make pointless posts: Don't ask us which class you should play, or which faction to roll or which server to play. Don't ask us if your PC specs are any good or what you should have for breakfast. These are considered uninteresting topics and will be closed as soon as we see them.
    • Don't reply unless you have something to say. That means don't just post a quote followed by "No.", "lol", or any other one word or abbreviation. Voice your opinion if you must, but please put a little bit of effort into it.
    • Search first, then post: Use our search function before you make a new thread. Very often your question has already been posted and answered. It saves everyone a double read/post.

Keeping those few points in mind will make sure that the MMO-Champion forums remain a fun & interesting place to be in 2010.

When you have a spare moment, take 5 minutes to read our forum guidelines. All the mods and myself will be eternally grateful to you.

Lastly, when you see an offence to our rules, please report it. Do not quote the post in question, do not reply to it. Attention is the fuel that trolls and flamers feed on. Just ignore em as much as you can and let us take care of them for you.

Thank you for reading, and a happy 2010 for all of you! <3

Edit: Apparently I need to sticky this since not everyone seems to be able to read non-sticky posts... -.-
    Last edited by Sunshine; 2010-11-18 at 04:03 PM.

Re: Posting and you, a kind reminder

I want you to know im resisting the urge to coolstory bro, but only because I think your avatar is sexy and im afraid of bans =/

Its mostly the avatar.

Edit: Just took a shower, so I got to thinking. Can we make it a rule to remove uninformed threads/posts? If someone says something that is flat out wrong, like shadow priests should stack intellect or agility gives warriors AP, can we have it reported and removed?
    But your eyes are drawn of charcoal they're black they're so cold they're so imperfect because they see a sleeping world where waking isn't worth it

The chance of this post working as intended is not very high tbh.
    The ones you talk about, posting "cool story bro" and familiar pictures, the ones coming with bad and rude answers, the trolls, and the less intelligent people making somewhat idiotic posts, they really do not care about forum guidelines nor rules.

Hopefully moderators will be as active and bring justice to these forums :3

(yes i know, im a suckup)
    You cannot bandage a bleeding target...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinnerbone
    This gets my vote for thread of the month.
    If WoW was "just" a game, you wouldn't be in this forum.

/sign especially for useless threads.... Im tired of seeing all these pointless questions in general dicussions especially. ( And lavaman pots. most of them are useless)

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Bojangles
    Can we make it a rule to remove uninformed threads/posts? If someone says something that is flat out wrong, like shadow priests should stack intellect or agility gives warriors AP, can we have it reported and removed?
    I wouldn't like to see them simply removed. If a misinformed post is made, I'd much rather see a discussion to prove that the OP's points are invalid.

If one person makes a mistake, like for example agi gives warriors AP, chances are many others also think or thought about that. If we have a civilized discussion on the topic, it would benefit a lot more people than if we'd just keep removing threads.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF
    Its nice to see in text, I just wish it were enforced.
    We try, very hard to do so. Sadly we can't possibly catch everything. We depend greatly on people reporting stuff to us.
    As much as I'd like to lie and say we read every single post made on these forums, we all know that isn't true. There's simply not enough of us to be able to do that. Plus we don't get paid to be here, so we can't have a 24/7 coverage either.

So please, if you see something that isn't right, something that's against our guidelines, report it. It only takes a few seconds. We investigate each and every report.

Quote Originally Posted by Thafisker
    The chance of this post working as intended is not very high tbh.
    The ones you talk about, posting "cool story bro" and familiar pictures, the ones coming with bad and rude answers, the trolls, and the less intelligent people making somewhat idiotic posts, they really do not care about forum guidelines nor rules.
    I know, but I got to vent.

Also it sends out the message to the "normal" users on our boards that if they see crap like that, they can and should do something about it. That's more important than reaching the trolls and flamers imo.

I wanna quote you just so you can add another part to this thread because I firmly believe that it is something that should be added.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlor
    Enough of these X vs Y threads
    I find those sooooooo annoying.

While my Bojangles might be a tad off on his \/ hes right. If no one reports them its hard for the mods to keep the forum clean. Just make sure you read the rules on reporting before going trigger-happy on the report button

Love you Grim. Happy '10.

Grim.

I know and totally understand that you, or the other mods don't get paid and as such don't have a major amount of time to spend dealing with bad posts. I'm a fairly new member, and try to be active within the MMO Community. I log in every single day. The coverage of latest WoW news is second to none. You guys are doing a great job.

However, it's pretty easy to catch outright rude bastards on this site. Just go into any random post. Any at all. Within the top 5 you'll find some arsehole that needs to be banned.

These people Grim, are making MMO possibly one of the worst WoW communities I have ever come across. You guys must do something about them. I on my part will do my best to report any rudeness I find. Be prepared for many many reports a day.

Ban them. Link their posts and tell the communtiy they are banned. And tell them why.

Just a suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spritely View Post
    That said, I'm going to bed. Having a conversation in this context with someone with an avatar alluding to heroine use is just odd.

@darklenne: Even though you do have a valid point, at least to some extent, I would like to add a word of caution here. To you as well as to the moderator/administrator team - even though, legally speaking, it's entirely up to the owner of the site to determine what IS and what is NOT acceptable behaviour, it is morally deplorable to resort to outright censorship.

Because, amongst others, that will only rally the truly bad apples into behaving even more offensive. History has taught as a few very valuable lessons, one of which is that an open, transparent community is a happy one. And, a closed, censored one usually is not.

That being said, let me close by saying... all the best for 2k10 to you as well, Grim.

Read this thread "WoW: worst mmo ever" or something and there were 7 pages of "Obvious troll is obvious", I read the first post and thought I would answere with a constructive post couse I thought he/she had some stuff which made some sense, but I didn't couse there were 7 pages with "TROLL! RUN!". I though either I would be baned along with the rest or that the thread would just get deleted so none would ever see my constructive post. That made me curious.

If I post constructive in such a thread and you classefie the thread creators post to be a troll, will I get the same threatment as someone who just said "Trolling"? Or would you see through your fingers? I mean my intention wouldn't be to insult or be unserious but to make a answere which made sense and were constructive, and encuraged a discussion. Aye, the example post were kinda obvious but this thought still appeard

(think I read somewhere that feeding a troll results in the same punishment as making a troll?)
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

I'm kind of tired of all the threads where every other post is something about trolling, lolcats or some other internet meme. While the lolcat trend is making a decline, trolling is blown out of proportions. It seems as if there is no room for serious discussion anymore and the forum is merely a place for cheap entertainment and "lulz". This is what makes me often only read the homepage news and not even bother with the comments. I don't like the 4chan generation.

This is one of the few moderator posts that actually made me laugh...just the way it was set up, you sound so pissed..

Sorry if I am coming off as an asshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlor
    Allow me to summarize a few of my biggest eye-sores:
    • Do not - ever, under any circumstance - be rude in your replies: Do not call anyone a retard, moron, asshole, bitch, stupid ass, or anything that comes remotely close to an insult.
    • Don't post pictures of the lolcats-genre or "Cool story bro" or the Captain Picard Facepalm, or anything else that's considered "hilarious" by your average 7-year old.
      • Do not make pointless posts: Don't ask us which class you should play, or which faction to roll or which server to play. Don't ask us if your PC specs are any good or what you should have for breakfast. These are considered uninteresting topics and will be closed as soon as we see them.
      • Don't reply unless you have something to say. That means don't just post a quote followed by "No.", "lol", or any other one word or abbreviation. Voice your opinion if you must, but please put a little bit of effort into it.

• So perfectly worded...
    "Your country is like an old maid servant; accustomed to being raped by everyone." - Napoleon

Deleted

I am angry at those who try to disrupt our community, so yes, you could say that I am indeed pissed.

@everyone who posted lately: Keep reporting us. Don't be scared to try to save a good topic with a constructive post, we don't go on a blind banrage whenever we see a thread that's being trolled to death.

About feeding the trolls, everything that's posted by anyone that receives a troll reply is considered feeding the troll lately, mostly by trolls themselves. Just ignore them.

Deleted

Moved this thread to Suggestions & Feedback to lessen the amount of stickies in the General section.

It'll definitely be nice to see this enforced. I don't post often (in fact I've only posted for a recruitment thread back in Sunwell days...), though I do visit multiple times a day, just to avoid the attitudes and behavior. It's hard since WoW (might even go as broad as to say Blizzard) as a whole attracts that kind of personality, but it doesn't mean things can't change!

I were on my way to making a simular thread myself before I saw this one, was going to call it Forum Etiquette tho and those things I miss here that I would bring up is the following:

Definition af a troll, seriusly, loads and loads of people on these forums don't have any clue about it when they post "omg, lol, don't feed the Troll lulz".
    A troll is a person that asks purely stupid questions or states stupid facts in order to make people post more or to make people uppset. (more thoughts on this would be good, not to clear how to describe it)

/thread s, there is noone except a moderator or the OP to say when the thread is over, people might wanne add their thoughts, your thought isn't the best/only/last one.

And last, just to say it, the link to forum rules aint working, or atleast it's not working for me :S

10+ Year Old Account

Gotta reply to this tbh.

I whole heartadly agree with the mods stance on this .i,m only a newbie but thats because i,ve been following the site for nigh on 3 years now and only got the courage to sign up and reply in the last few months.

I liked nothing better than to read over the forums seeing some ofthe insane stuff pps put up etc stuff that when i,m up to my eyes in work stress and paperwork jsut make me smile be it total randomness in a raid to some advice about a boss or someone posting a heatening topic about pugs etc aka a tribute to pugs etc.

but of late nearly ever post gonig up is instantly classified as a troll post or turns into a bunch of flamers bad mouthing and beating their chests to show how great they really aint .so if nothing is done soon and the mods dont make a stand like they are doing nwo the site dies .
    and its too good for that too many good memories on here for the trolls flamers to win .

so totally agree with the Mods stance on this.
    Faith Manages

I have to totally agree with Grimlor
    http://www.sportsplaying.com
    Soccer news and games

• Quote Originally Posted by Capt_jesus
      This is one of the few moderator posts that actually made me laugh...just the way it was set up, you sound so pissed..

Sorry if I am coming off as an asshole.So perfectly worded...
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_jesus
    I personally laughed at this.

Do not
    Don't
    Do Not
    Don't
    omg do I not or don't I ahdbasbdhdbasd lol

[Edit] I am glad you are trying to make the forum a more organized environment, just made me laugh a bit inside on the way you worded things.
    Quote Originally Posted by WyriHaximus
    We are battling big ass dragons, huge fire elementals, gone mad paladins and you worry about something small like this?