The Poor Man's Guide to Vortex Pinnacle, SFK, and Deadmines Heroic. My experiences.

So a lot of people seem to have trouble with doing heroics. Some of our guild ran these 3 heroics last night and finished them. I figured I would put down my personal experiences on them and how we did because it might help other people have a better understanding of how it went.

So first off, our group makeup was Prot Warrior, Fury Warrior, Feral Druid, Balance Druid (me), Resto Shaman. This is the first time in months, possibly years that I've been balance since I'm normally resto. But the tank's friend likes to heal so I normally dps when I group with him. The thing is though, I've been playing a druid for over 4 years. I know the mechanics of a druid pretty much inside out. I would try to barkskin when damage got too high. I always innervated our healer. I would tranquility during boss fights when the healer started getting behind in AoE healing. I occasionally cc'd with roots. Hell, I even used soothe (druid tranq shot) sometimes. I was solarbeaming packs of casters and focusing the mana users during trash fights first always. And yet I felt like I was being CARRIED through these heroics because my guildies are good players who have been playing since Vanilla.

Anyway, the first heroic we finished was Vortex Pinnacle. This is supposed to be one of the easier heroics, which I will probably agree with. There are some annoying trash fights. For example, there's a pack of stars that immediately start arcane barraging your whole party when someone steps in range. We couldn't really find a way to kill these other than zerg AoE them. If someone finds a better tactic, I'd like to know. And as always, DPS the healer down first. In VP that would be the Temple Adepts. Then move onto the Ministers of Air because they can get a buff that makes them shoot really fast and blow up your tank.

Ertan
    This guy is pretty easy as far as heroic bosses go. Stand inside the ring of whirlwinds and just DPS. He'll eventually bring the cyclones in and if you're standing in the cyclones they start AoEing down the people in it. Our group just had people stand inside. I personally didn't to help the healer. The healer however was pretty good on mana despite our melee staying in the cyclones. Also, when the cyclones being to pull themselves in, do NOT get hit by them or else you'll get a debuff that slows your DPS. Also, there's these mobs in here that act like boos. Yes, boos. If you're not facing them, they'll pop up and starting lightning bolting your unsuspecting party member. So you'll need people facing all directions of the outer ring to avoid that. Overall, I'd say this boss is easy.

Altairus
    The next boss is a dragon boss named Altairus. As far as I can tell, he doesn't tail swipe like every other dragon boss and for good reason! Positioning on this fight is kind of hell. Once the fight starts a score or so of whirlwinds are going to appear on the deck you're fighting on. If you get hit by them, you get tossed in the air and take damage. And of course the whirlwinds move around. Another mechanic of this fight is Altairus will start blowing gusts of air across the deck. You need to be downwind of the air. Why? Because you get a nice buff that makes you cast faster....and if you don't you get a horrible debuff that makes you cast slower and move slower. As a range dps, I found this fight horrendous. If I accidentally got too far from the boss while avoiding cyclones and he switched the direction of the wind, I would have to spend a good 5-10 seconds repositioning myself so I could do something other than moonfire spam. I don't think this fight is particularly hard on the healer, but if your group is bad on positioning, he might go down too slowly and time will just run your healer oom. This is one of the only fights I thought to be more melee friendly than caster friendly.

Asaad
    This is the final boss of VP. He's some just Wind Djinn I think. Anywho, when we did this guy on normal, he was pretty much a joke. He's not so much now just cause he hits hard with his chain lightning. So when your tank pulls, everyone needs to spread out. Your range need to be very far from the melee. During the fight he'll put a debuff called Static Charge that will root you in place. In our group, the only person who couldn't somehow get out of this root was our resto shaman. So, she didn't really worry about removing the debuff from us. Now why is this debuff relevant? Well, partways through the fights, the boss will start putting down a grounding area. If you stand in this area, you become immune to outside spells. Once he finishes putting down the grounding area, he teleports into the area and starts hurricaning the whole deck and will instantly (yes instantly, he did this to our tank once) obliterate anyone not standing in the grounding area. What is kind of confusing about this is when he's channeling the grounding area that you need to stand in, he DOES NOT finish the channel before he jumps into the air. So basically, don't take your chances and just immediately book it to the grounding area. Once he finishes channeling though, IMMEDIATELY book it out of the clump because he's likely to cast a chain lightning off the bat. Once someone has taken the chain lightning, you can set yourselves back up normally. As long as your healer can handle the chain lightning and knows who to dispel the root off, this fight is fairly easy.

Will update with rest of heroics soon, if anyone cares. ;P

Thats a nice looking guide there, I did H VP without knowing any of the heroic mechanics, and i have to admit, as a healer, all the fights were a bitch. Once i get more mana regeneration i should be fine though, keep up the good work!