Quote Originally Posted by sonicacid View Post
So my SPriest is my main, and I am only 82 right now, but the MindSpike spell concerned me at first as well due to rotation. Maybe I can chime in and grab some help also. I have been questing and LFD when I play, and since I am DPS, mostly questing as my server has about a 38 minute wait time for dungeons. that being said, and this may be blasphemy...... I never use DoTs anymore. My whole "rotation" is MS,MS,MS,MB,SW;D. Anything while I am questing is dead, anything in dungeons might take two "rotations" of that plus other players DPS to kill it. One part of me thinks Blizz will nerf the hell out of this due to that fact and I will be kinda sad when they do, as I never had crit numbers like I do now, the other part kinda hates that I just spent 80 levels learning the class and rotation/priority for damage. Anyone else using this "rotation" method? I have been pulling right around 6k DPs consistantly in BRC, typically top DPS unless a DK is with me.

And sorry, not meaning it to be a "oooh look at me post", just didn't know if anyone else had good results with it.
You're only 82 and so the fashion in which you use Mindspike is fine. However, myself as well as several other shadowpriests who have posted on the topic of Mindspike, have noticed that once you hit 84 and start having to kill mobs that have 100k health, Mindspike becomes less effective and more of a mana drain. I was levelling in twilight highlands the other night and I found that I could pull more mobs by dotting and using Dark Arcangel every CD then using MS>MS>MB. The dmg just doesn't seem to be all that reliable on higher level mobs. This could possibly be fixed with better gear, IE: more int and crit but at my current gear level I find that Mindspike just isn't that mana or dmg efficient.

@Arlee

No, I cannot say for sure what exactly that niche is because the post was vague about it as well. It was discussed in my guild vent that it could be used for mobs in which using dots are not as favorable. Shadowpriest dmg up to date has very much relied on having enough time to ramp up. I found, especially in the end of wrath, that casting dots on mobs, trash or otherwise, just wasn't mana or dmg efficient. Mindspike may fill a need for quick burst dmg that was previously missing in shadowpriest dps. 90% of our dmg is dot based with MB and SW being our only source of burst and until recently neither of them were overly reliable sources because of their GCD. Now with the SW glyph and mindspike decreasing the casting time of MB, if not the CD, it makes bursting more managable and possible for us. This was just some of our thoughts and whether or not this is the intended use of Mindspike as envisioned by Blizzard I do not know. You should be able to find the blue post logged somewhere on one of the forums.