10+ Year Old Account

How does alchemy discovery work in Cataclysm?

I've heard that the recipe for the Vial of Sands (the item used to transform into the Sandstone Drake) is learned through discovery, but I have yet to see how discovery works in Cataclysm. I've maxed my skill to 540 (I'm a goblin) and I haven't discovered any new recipes yet. There is no alchemy research option for Cataclysm as there was for WOTLK. The only thing I haven't really done yet is transmutation.

How does one "discover" new recipes in Cataclysm?

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I can tell, there are no recipes to discover. The small selection from the trainer is it (other then the vial of the sands and the cauldrons, which are from archaeology and guild achievements receptively).
    Last edited by Kujako; 2010-12-10 at 04:41 AM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

As for the Vial of the Sands alch mount, there is a thread on this forum with a gm ticket sreenshot explaining how it's attainable. You "discover" it with archaeology, but must be alch to get it, and it's BoP.

Same way you discovered in the past: luck. I logged in on Tuesday and did my primal earth to life xmute (that I've been using solely to get discoveries) and finally got one of the two last alchemy recipes I need by discovery. Just keep plugging away. If there are Cata discovery recipes, keep xmuting Cata mats. It will happen... eventually.

The recipe I mentioned took me 4 years to get. Good luck!

It isn't discovered via Alchemy it its found via Archeology get to leveling it, don't worry its a really really Fast grind *Sarcasm, but overall I do enjoy leveling it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weenietot View Post
    Same way you discovered in the past: luck. I logged in on Tuesday and did my primal earth to life xmute (that I've been using solely to get discoveries) and finally got one of the two last alchemy recipes I need by discovery. Just keep plugging away. If there are Cata discovery recipes, keep xmuting Cata mats. It will happen... eventually.

The recipe I mentioned took me 4 years to get. Good luck!
    What did you discover? Everything listed on wowhead etc is gained from trainers (again other then the cauldrons and dragon).
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

You’ll need 525 Alchemy and the Recipe is obtained through Archeology. It is contained in the Tol’Vir Common Artifact Canopic Jar.
    You will need 450 Archeology to find Tol’Vir artifacts and they are in Uldum.

http://wowdigsite.com/races/tolvir/vial-of-the-sands/

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    What did you discover? Everything listed on wowhead etc is gained from trainers (again other then the cauldrons and dragon).
    whatever it was, it was a BC discovery if it involved primals