Deleted

Help me find an addon

Hello mmo-champion,

long time reader, first time poster here.

So here is the thing;
    tonight me and a friend, we both play wow for years now, are going to start a trail with 3 other friends to try and get them to play wow.
    Obviously we want them to like the game, but we know the start can be a bit slow, and/or boring for some people, even with all the new and improved starting areas..
    They (the 3 friends) have stated before that they think the GFX of wow are bad, and they expect it to be boring at best.
    So needless to say, me and my wow-playing friend are worried that they wont play wow again after the trail has ended, or worse, even quit before they completed the trail.

Now, this got me thinking. What was it that made wow so much fun for me 6 years ago, and why did i stick around after doing 20 levels of 'pick up this, and kill 10 of these' quests.
    I came to the conclusion that it wasn't so much the quests that were interesting, but it was the immersion in the world, en scale of it, and most importantly the exploring part. Finding your way to that little cave just north of some little town or something, guided only by the quest-text and your own ability to comprehend it.
    Nowadays, even with the default map, you have this big yellow '?' to walk to, click on the thingy or what not, and walk back to the quest giver without knowing why, or even without looking around. You've been checking the map only to see if you were going straight to the '?' and not even looking at the world or the little signs on crossroads that tell you where you are etc.

I know you can still choose to read all the quest text, and i try to do so myself while leveling to 85 atm, but still... you read only what to do and why, but i find myself skipping the part of where to go etc, because i can just follow the arrow.
    I recon this might be a letdown for a new player, because it doesn't make the questing 'magical', it makes it a bit like work or something.

so, the question is:
    Does anyone know of a good map-addon that makes the questhelp go away, so you only see the map as it was intended before blizz decided to cater to the alt's, and thus making questing more of a means to and end, instead of part one of a great game. (raiding etc being part 2)
    Also, i have searched for this and haven't found it, if you know how to turn it off in the default ui, then that would do the trick too ofc.

Also, i'd like to hear what you guys think of this issue i have. Is it just me maybe? Or do you share my concern

TL;DR
    someone pls help me make the game 'worse' for the best intentions, and tell me if you can disable the default questhelp on the map, or know of a basic map addon WITHOUT questhelp in it.

Thanks
    Last edited by mmoce5afcf61f2; 2010-12-10 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure there's a checkbox in the lower right corner of the map that allows you to disable showing quest locations.

Deleted
    serious? damn i must be blind then
    ill check it out, thnx for the fast reply

10+ Year Old Account
    go in to the interface click on objectives and unclick auto quest tracking this should take care of what your talking about if my understanding of your issue is

Deleted
    yeah i found it, it is indeed the little checkbox on the map.

so i installed wow for them, unchecked the box for all 3 friends, but it turned out that they kind of needed it, because
    a: they were allready struggling with wow in generel. it seems to be quite comlicated for new players, and they could not handle everything at once or something.
    and b: they were very impacient with reading quest text so we turned it on again and now they are still playing the trail and going to buy it.

nothing beats playing with rl friends, so olé

Deleted
    From experience, new players will find it complicated if you (as an experienced player) level together with them. Try to leave the explaining to the in-game tutorials, they are very good at it.

You should just sit back and enjoy watching your friends noobness. My best memory of when my friend started to play wow was when he was level 40 pally, he asked me why his heals still only hit for like 50 and he only had 3 abilities, because he didn't know he had to go back to his trainer every 2 levels and he hadn't been there since the quest took him to it at level 2.