15+ Year Old Account

Flame Orb for Arcane Mages

So I was thinking about my new favorite spell, Flame Orb, and how it is wicked awesome and fun and everything like that, and I was wondering how it could be changed to be useful for Arcane mages.
    It's useful for Fire because it does Fire damage, explodes and puts Ignite on targets... it's useful for Frost because it does Frostfire damage, slows targets and can proc Fingers of Frost and Brain Freeze... but there's nothing useful for Arcane.
    So... I was thinking they could change a talent to give it a special effect. Change the Nether Vortex talent, for example.
    In addition to the current effect of the talent, it could change Flame Orb into a... Warp Orb. The change would cause the Flame Orb, when cast, to immedietly teleport to the targetted enemy and, instead of dealing Fire damage with its laser pew pew beams, it could shoot single Arcane Missile bolts instead, dealing Arcane damage.

Any thoughts?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that would certainly be cool. I mean, arcane mages don't really have that many buttons to push, and this would most likely make more arcane mages use Flame Orb.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's either Arcane Blast spam or Arcane explosion spam. Arcane orb would make a good addition to Arcane Mages AoE arsenal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Or maybe the talent could, instead of making the orb teleport, make it attack two targets at the same time instead of just one. The arcane bolt part would have to stay, however... it wouldn't be useful if the spell didn't do arcane damage.

---------- Post added 2010-12-10 at 04:05 PM ----------

I'll totally make this suggestion on the official forums later... *Nods*

Arcane orb could cast arcane explosion for minimal single target damage but to give Arcane some more viable aoe.

Deleted
    yeah, I could see nether vortex as :
    rank 1: turns flame orb into a nether vortex allowing it to benefit from your arcane specialization, also gives a 50% chance to make AB apply slow
    Rank 2: your Nether vortex also casts arcane explosion every 3 seconds, also gives 100% chance to make AB apply slow

at the moment, arcane doesn't have any unique spells from cata and it's the only spec that doesn't benefit from fire orb, fire gets fire orb and TW, frost gets FFO RoF AND TW, arcane gets TW... gooooo arcane...

I've noticed that Flame Orb attacks can proc AM quite a bit, which can help you conserve mana if you find yourself particularly drained. While it's not a staple in my rotation, I do throw it out there whenever I get the chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    While Flame Orb doesn't benefit from arcane specialization, it does get boosted by arcane mastery (Mana Adept). At least we have that... but I do agree that they could have done more with it and I feel arcane was in need of a new ranged AoE much more so than fire and frost, and also arcane benefits the least from Flame Orb. It's still useful though and we'll still use it in raids, but it's not as potent as it is for the other specs.

Id like it to act sorta like the nether bomb on this boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.