Lightbulb Avoidance and Mastery question

So the just of what I've picked up on pally tanking in cata is... get expertise to 26 then hit to 8% then expertise to 55 for threat.

What about for avoidance and mastery? Is there a minimum amount of dodge and parry we should have? Is one better than the other? Should they all just be turned into mastery?

Are we trying to hit that 102.4% avoidance?
    Last edited by paperrobots; 2010-12-10 at 05:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We won't be hitting 102.4% this tier of content. Also, you should worry more about your avoidance more than your expertise and hit. Don't get me wrong, expertise and hit are great stats, but with Vengeance a miss/dodge/parry doesn't hurt your TPS nearly as much.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Of course survivability before and along side threat. But everything I'm reading is just saying put all your dodge and parry into mastery. It seems like you'd still want to have some parry and dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by paperrobots View Post
    Of course survivability before and along side threat. But everything I'm reading is just saying put all your dodge and parry into mastery. It seems like you'd still want to have some parry and dodge.
    Lol dont forget you will still have a ton even if you reforge. I believe it is 21.4% before dodge and parry start suffering diminishing returns. Anything over that, mastery starts becoming a good reforge, and you are only move 40%, not everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't say for certain about 85 yet, i level'd my rogue first, but it seems that among the tanks i run with, the ones that focus on mastery/avoidance are doing much MUCH Better than the ones that don't, as dps is learning to not get themselves killed again.

Deleted
    Avoidance != mastery.

Elitistjerks.com says for most tank specs to focus on stamina and mastery while gearing up. Not to explicitly try to gear for the avoidance stats (dodge, parry). The reason being that mastery smooths out incoming damage for all specs:

Druids - Savage Defence (damage reduction from Crit stat)
    DK's - Blood Shield (physical absorb from Death Strike ability)
    Paladins - Divine Bulwark = Block chance (damage reduction. They have Holy Shield too)
    Warriors - Critical Block = Block chance and Critical Block chance (damage reduction)

If you try to gear for soley avoidance at these very low gear levels, you may get a couple of heavy hits or worse string of very fast hits after parries and you'll eat far more damage than someone with Mastery. Whereas with Mastery the damage is smoothed out (some specs far better than others - looking at you druids and death knights!).

At least that's the theory. In practice, who knows. Maybe even at this low level of gearing, avoidance tanks are doing just fine if not better than mastery tanks.

Druids in particular seem to benefit a LOT from dodge and agility (which gives crit and therefore Savage Defence) - so they effectively get their Mastery regardless of gearing as long as it has crit from somewhere!
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2010-12-10 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boseguy22 View Post
    Lol dont forget you will still have a ton even if you reforge. I believe it is 21.4% before dodge and parry start suffering diminishing returns. Anything over that, mastery starts becoming a good reforge, and you are only move 40%, not everything.
    This is kinda what I was looking for. A minimum of dodge or parry you'd like to have. Anything over that sure will be better in Mastery. So it is important to have SOME dodge/parry. Just not an over abundance.

Quote Originally Posted by paperrobots View Post
    This is kinda what I was looking for. A minimum of dodge or parry you'd like to have. Anything over that sure will be better in Mastery. So it is important to have SOME dodge/parry. Just not an over abundance.
    Yeah exactly. But what squeeze said is important too. Every level the coefficients change as you get closer to 85, or x dodge=1%, x gets bigger every level, so you get a lower % of dodge for the same amount on your gear every level you go up.

Edit: Im reading this and not sure I was clear. As an example NOT real numbers:

Level 80 100 dogde=1% Dodge rating
    Level 81 140 Dodge=1% Dodge rating
    Level 82 180 Dodge=1% Dodge rating

etc. The math says you need a ton more dodge at 85 to get the exact same percent of dodge between 80 and 85. If you focus on avoidance and then level, all your time and effort gets jacked up. Hit is a good example. Getting hot capped at 8% at 80 meant just under 200 hit, but at 85 will be over 600 for melee.

On the flip side, stam is stam... 10 health per. It scales the best because it is flat. The more you have, the more health you have at 80 or 85. You arent really going to be able to play with the numbers on your gear until you get to max level when the coefficients lock in for avoidance stats.
    Last edited by boseguy22; 2010-12-10 at 09:39 PM. Reason: clairity