Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A Cata Engineering Rundown. Voice your opinion plz!

I dunno guys. Let me make a list of all that we got with what my thoughts are. I'd like to hear yours as well.

Looterang: There's no point to it. It requires a corpse click, a use click, and it's on a cooldown. What was the point of this item again? Aside from getting loot from bodies on hills?

Eternium Dragonling: It's good to see this thing back with some decent stats attached to it. I don't use it though unless I'm alone. An uncontrollable combat pet can get you kicked pretty fast from a group now that we need to watch CC. It's cool, just still has the same problems it always had with groups.

Volatile Seaforium Blastpack: As a bomb-happy goblin, I'm glad to see this. BUT! Ever since our keys were taken away, and most doors are unlocked anyway, what are we supposed to use these on again? Locked chests? I haven't done much in the way of 5-mans yet but has anyone actually FOUND one yet?

Electrostatic Condenser: Not bad at all, and extremely helpful to make the much needed Electrified Ether. But was it really necessary? The only reason it exists is because of the need for several Electrified Ether. Without one of the two, the other would have no point... So... Why don't we just use our mote extractors? Currently does not fit into engineering bags. Please fix.

All Belt and Glove tinkers: A few classic staples got an upgrade. Awesome. There are also a few new gimmick abilities to tie onto our belts such as a force field, invisibility, target dummies, and so on. Good stuff! Now tell me... Why couldn't they be stand alone items? Why did they have to be put on a belt? Why couldn't they be items that you could conveniently put into your Engineering bag instead of carrying around 3 kinds of belts that are just wasting space in our normal bags? Having to carry around several belts so you can benefit from all the optional abilities means there is less room for your non-engineering items. Not to mention the constant belt swapping instead of just using an item. All the tinkers were great innovations, I just don't understand why so many have to be tinkers which wastes space and not engineering items which fits in our 36 slot bag.

Goblin Barbecue: No complaints. A very cool item indeed! Though I wonder why it requires cooking and not engineering. I also wonder why it cannot also go into our engineering bags.

Lure Master Tackle box: Cool, but what does it have to do with engineering? Why wasn't this created with blacksmithing? Also, does anyone actually need a 36 slot fishing bag? That's not me being sarcastic. I really want to know.

Guns/Bows/Goggles/Scopes: No complaints and I like the variety. However, why isn't the kickback epic when it requires 3 truegold and is better than the epic bow? Please make the crit cogwheels obtainable by using another item to trade in.

Jr. Engineer goggles: Perfect addition. No complaints.

Heat-treated Spinning Lure: Another solid item upgrade.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that's it really. I don't think I missed anything. Overall, it feels lackluster. If anything, engineering feels confusing. Instead of asking why has Engineering been gutted so hard, (and sometimes I think it has in Cata.) I'm scratching my head at some of these items trying to figure out when I'm going to use them, or why they exist in the format they do. I love the options and depth Engineering brings. It's why I have always been one since vanilla WoW. But with these latest additions, I'm just feeling kinda..."meh" at a LOT of these additions. They don't feel useful. Isn't that something that Blizz reps said they were going to bring back in post Cata Engineering? Where's the Big Daddy bombs? Where is the Gnomish Portal Gun? Where is the ZX-5103 Mechanical Suit?! These were the things that REALLY hyped me about engineering.

I can only hope with the addition of more content, more interesting and useful items will be given to us dedicated engineers. It's been like before in BC and WotLK. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened in Cataclysm.

I think they should replace the epic goggles, with an epic ENG belt. The belt allows 3 sockets(cogwheels, and other eng goodies). The belt would be fairly basic like +200 stam/mastery and then you could attach 3 engineering type items to customize it.
    Being able to add more than one engi enchant is the benefit.

Deleted
    Bubble: Very very very usefull but it's gone after 8 seconds and then i'm dead. I hate it, why 8 seconds it's useless then.

Vanish: Woo! 4 seconds immune to stuff and then we're back into the fight... Useless

Blink: So? you teleport 1 spot infront of you? shadowstep/charge/casters can get there fast enough.

Any Heal: I can heal myself up! yay! but i won't do dps.

Do you see what you're doing? Only putting the negative side of the story in the spotlights. Every engineering item is cool in its own way but has it's own little downside. Please be more optimistic rather then pessimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenkachii View Post
    Bubble: Very very very usefull but it's gone after 8 seconds and then i'm dead. I hate it, why 8 seconds it's useless then.

Vanish: Woo! 4 seconds immune to stuff and then we're back into the fight... Useless

Blink: So? you teleport 1 spot infront of you? shadowstep/charge/casters can get there fast enough.

Any Heal: I can heal myself up! yay! but i won't do dps.

Do you see what you're doing? Only putting the negative side of the story in the spotlights. Every engineering item is cool in its own way but has it's own little downside. Please be more optimistic rather then pessimistic.

If you want to counter my points with your own, and as long as it's done without raging and have some thought behind them, please do. I welcome it. But only telling me I'm being pessimistic without any solid counter points to the list I just gave won't change my mind or my opinion.
    Last edited by Rejie; 2010-12-11 at 03:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rejie View Post
    If you want to counter my points with your own, and as long as it's done without raging and have some thought behind them, please do. I welcome it. But only telling me I'm being pessimistic without any solid counter points to the list I just gave won't change my mind or my opinion.
    There's no rage involved at all. You are just putting the downsides into the light. This way everything is horrible. Engineering has been about the same every expansion.

There's no rage involved at all. You are just putting the downsides into the light. This way everything is horrible. Engineering has been about the same every expansion.
    Well, I'm also saying too that engineering has always felt disappointing at the beginning of every expansion. The hope is that things get better.

Also, didn't I say quite a bit good about the items in question? A few I had nothing bad to say at all, many others I said were good but were lacking in a way, and a few that I found to be useless.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    This, but you have to remember it's more of a personal profession then anything else.

~Kretic

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rejie View Post
    Well, I'm also saying too that engineering has always felt disappointing at the beginning of every expansion. The hope is that things get better.

Also, didn't I say quite a bit good about the items in question? A few I had nothing bad to say at all, many others I said were good but were lacking in a way, and a few that I found to be useless.
    And any other proffession barely has nothing. If you're not happy with it change proffessions.

Belt-tinkers are supposed to be a choice, you're not Batman with a 10-gimmick belt, engineers hotwire (Best word for it :P ) certain gear-pieces with one enhancement each, it's mostly technical (One use-effect per item), but nobody can do everything, not even engineers.

The "Electrostatic condenser"-issue is true though, it's got an engineering-requirement, engineering makes it, so it should go into toolbox bags, meh maybe next hotfix...

Also: why are all guns we can make AGI-guns and not one STR-gun for warriors? Even just one STR-gun (Slap mastery on it for usefulness for all specs) would've made me very happy, i've been using self-made guns on my warrior-engineer for almost 6 years now, but AGI-guns do squat for me now, so there goes one part of being a fanatical engineer. T_T

But the other posters are right, engineering has always gotten some "Whoops, forgot to add that!"-schematics later on in expansions. :P

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now I no longer play (grr.. PPC..) but here's what I think:
    Looterang: helpful when grinding as a ranged toon, especially when keybound. It might not be as helpful as I think due to cooldown, but still.

Lure Master Tackle Box: 36 slot fishing bag? Nice! I, on my hunter, have found my bags bulking with fish at times. I used to fish while queueing for randoms, and things went faster then I expected. Also, fish, IMO, are one of these things you go on a grinding spree.

Belt and Glove Tinkers: You sound quite greedy to me: I has all these goodies which are nice but it were even nicer if they hadn't been objects to attach to my belts! Compare that with: I'm happy with hunter pets getting more utility, but why can't they put all utility on a single pet?

Eternium Dragonling and Electrostatic Condenser: Perhaps you're right that they don't seem to useful, yet they add alot of flavour.

Volatile Seaforium Blastpack: Who cares if you can use them often or not? THEY EXPLODE! Also, I'd be amazed (and dissappointed) if they really ditched the lockboxes..

I tried to refrain from commenting on things you're already sorta positive about. Also, as has been pointed out: You're focusing on the downsides, not on the nice sides. If the flavour of engineering stuff doesn't appeal to you, get another profession. There's plenty out there. Most of them are alot more serious, and they focus on useful items instead of a mix between useful items and fun items.

Lure Master Tackle box - one of the best items hands down.
    yes i fish... a lot
    and lately with a stack of certain fish selling for 500 - 1k gold... this 36slotter can hold very valuable stuff indeed!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why the bow is so underpowered compared to the gun.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The bow has been dumped down to rare from epic, sadly after I made mine but what can you do?
    Totally should have made the gun, same ilevel but seems vastly superior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looterang: Good for ranged classes that can keep mobs at a distance, no point for melee.

Eternium Dragonling: By the time i got round to leveling engineering high enough for this trinket, i had already aquired 2 trinkets from heroics both being hugely better.

Volatile Seaforium Blastpack: What are these used for ?

Electrostatic Condenser: Not so good for people with double crafting proffesions. Atleast with the mote extracter there was no issue of needing a gathering proff.

All Belt and Glove tinkers: 5k damage shocker vs int buff being the main glove enchants, casters ending up with a better deal. I stuck with the nitro boost as i read on here that it wouldnt fail at 85, well guess what it does fail and you do get blown up into the air randomly. Dissapointingly i'd still take the nitro boost working 90% of the time over the new ones.

Goblin Barbecue: It looks fantastic and will get alot of use until my guild can aquire the 90 stat feast from the achievement.

Lure Master Tackle box: I can imagine this being great for those fishing enthusiasts out there going on a long farm.

Guns/Bows/Goggles/Scopes: The gun is the best ranged weapon you can get pre-raid and should sell for a long time until "easilygottenepic 9000" comes along. Scopes should sell good and i hope their will be raid gotten scope patterns. Goggles are great and look fantastic but i also hope these will be upgraded as tier progression moves along.

Jr. Engineer goggles: /shrug

Heat-treated Spinning Lure: I guess its good ?
    Last edited by Ujio; 2010-12-11 at 09:28 PM.
    (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง ᴛʜɪs ɪs ᴏᴜʀ ᴛᴏwɴ sᴄʀᴜʙ (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง - (ง •̀_•́)ง ʏᴇᴀʜ ʙᴇᴀᴛ ɪᴛ! (ง •̀_•́)ง

I'm likin' these responses. ^_^
    Opinions are just that. Opinions. Some of you think I'll die with what I think of engineering right now clenched in my fist. Not true. I'm open for reassessment if people can tell my why. That's why I started this thread. I wanted to hear from other people.

By the way, is it true that the zapper glove tinker uses spell hit? That would be ...yeah... I would test it, but after sitting at 525 and 40 Obsidium bolts later, I haven't learned it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Electronicus View Post
    The bow has been dumped down to rare from epic, sadly after I made mine but what can you do?
    Totally should have made the gun, same ilevel but seems vastly superior.
    Fuuun.....I love those guns...Makes my speakers go boom (i know there is a addon for it). But i have stated it before and will again Why does casters get a + int but physical get nothing?

I'm really missing more skinnable mobs for engineering.. only ones I've found so far are the shredders in twilight highlands, and htey're friendly to horde, so have to skinleech off of alliance questers ><

I personally see the melee DPS rockets as a slap in the face...

Rocket gloves give an entire 44 dps at max... the bolt gun is useless as it has a cast time and a GCD and currently the haste on gloves may be more powerful. Compare that to the caster 480 intellect giving 250dps depending upon the class its a real spit in the face to melee.

Honestly, if the gloves tinker is to be as powerful for both casters and melee it's going to need to do at least 15k damage every minute... or better case 11k damage every 45 seconds/ 7.5k damage every 30 seconds so its not quite so bursty..
    Quote Originally Posted by Junlee View Post
    You can't even post in the proper forum. If Blizzard employees functioned as you do, your character would queue up for a BG and end up in Molten Core.

Deleted
    I'm not really sure what you were expecting, take a look at other professions and you will see even less interesting stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it because the fact that hydraulics arnt used on anything yet means future recipes
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.