Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Is it worth losing SO MUCH stats for hit cap?

i am currently in 331 ilvl gear and about 10% off of hit cap for raids. Is it worth droping tons of mastry to get hit caped? i know its very imporant but and some point i would think that the pure stats it takes to get hit caped would not be worth losing.
    Atm with 10% miss on raid bosses, this is what i pull on the last boss on SFK
    16k Demo
    12k Affic
    10k destro
    would being hit caped change what spec is doing this most dps? b.c i know demo thrives off of mastery and destro is more hit dependent.

would it be worth being hit caped for say destro and not for affic , demo.. i dont know
    Last edited by hellar; 2010-12-10 at 11:08 PM.

Deleted
    Short answer - Yes.

Yes. Hit is more pseudo DMG than any other stat, until capped.

yes. Hit is the best stat untill capped.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hit gives an insane amount of DPS until capped :P

Pretty much yes, hit>all other stats till cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

to chime in like everyone else, YES hit is the single biggest DPS increser untill capped

If you stack other stats, you will hit a lot harder.... if you ever hit the boss

Deleted
    Simple math (didn't want to chime in with Hit>other stats w/out explaining a bit):

Dps over a given fight (picking your highest number) = 16k
    Miss chance = 10%
    That means, you *lose* 1.6k dps due to not having any hit

Assuming Destro Mastery (cos its the only one I can remember off the top of my head) - flat damage increase of ~1.25% per 1% of mastery.

That means, your mastery would have to be giving you approx 8% additional damage to match the damage loss from misses.

Moreover, even if your mastery *was* matching theoretical damage loss from hit under normal circumstances, RNG applies. You have crits which don't hit, which loses a truckton of damage.

FYI - I'm not hitcapped yet either, and I notice the diff (fluxing between 6-7k and 11-12k as demo on the same boss fights. 1, mebbie 2k I'd attribute to being lazy after wrath and focussing on dodging teh fires of doom too much - rather than it being second nature - but a 4-5k difference? Thats hit cap screwing me over on crits). But meh, my guild is waaay behind me (something like server 7th lock to 85, 1st guildie, we got our 3rd 85 in guild today... yea...) so I'm working on levelling my tankadin to 85 before I worry too much on gearing up.
    Last edited by mmocae37848a23; 2010-12-11 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Grr... Realised I came across as a jerk on the first line... I have gotta learn to preview this stuff before I post...

10+ Year Old Account
    the only stat that trumps hit if you are under cap is, more hit.

Deleted
    Look at the other extreme: if you had 0% crit you'd still do base damage, if you had no haste you'd still have base cast time, if you had 0% hit you'd do no damage whatsoever. Hit is designed to be very powerful up to the cap; there was a Blue post on the front page saying just that recently (http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...gi-Spirit-Gear).

If I recall correctly hit is the only stat where a 1% gain in hit chance is a 1% gain in dps, everything else comes in lower. Something like that, anyway.
    Last edited by mmocec303aaab8; 2010-12-11 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Removed "I think"; there *was* a Blue post, and I found it.

Hit can be deceptive. Maybe one fight you end up missing very little or not at all, then all of a sudden it doesn't look so good. Next fight you miss a lot and your DPS is utter crap. Hit, like everything else is random, The fact of the matter is if even a single spell misses you are losing a ton of potential DPS.

As to your question, well I guess if you can make up enough damage in your attacks which hit to offset the ones that don't, then it might theoretically work to forgo a little bit of hit. Your always going to be faced with the same problem though. If you had more hit, your average DPS would be significantly higher. In general, even beyond the actual numbers, it's better to be as consistent as possible rather than a crapshoot. Today I do 14k, tomorrow I do 9k. You aren't helping anyone learn fights by adding in another random element, nobody wants to depend on your miss chance to say, beat an enrage. That it would come down to that is unlikely, but jus sayin. Random is bad. Get hit.

you need alot less hit to not miss heroic dungeon bosses then you do for raid bosses.
    Member of the Met Deathwing and Survived club.

not in youre exampel as you are hit capped at the sfk boss, in a raid yeah stack more hit

presonaly i just reforge before raids atm.

15+ Year Old Account
    Check your class stat priority in class specific blogg with those math experts. For shadow priest Hit is way below int and slightly better than haste and crit. I think primary stats (str, agi, int) are always better than hit (that was the intention anyway) but among secondary stats hit is more important.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleo View Post
    Check your class stat priority in class specific blogg with those math experts. For shadow priest Hit is way below int and slightly better than haste and crit. I think primary stats (str, agi, int) are always better than hit (that was the intention anyway) but among secondary stats hit is more important.
    Hit is more important than primary stats up to it's cap and Shadow Priests have such low value on hit because the talent that they have that converts spirit to hit, like Elemental Shamans and Moonkins.

Deleted
    Hit>all and that goes pretty much for all dps classes.

I have the feeling that you have mixed stat weights for different encounters.

For heroic dungeon bosses you need only 6% hit to never miss a boss encounter (lvl 87 bosses)

For RAID dungeons you need 17% hit to never miss in a boss encounter ( raid bosses aka skull are always 3 levels above you)

So if you are planning on running heroics to gear up there is no need to go over the 6% hit caps...when you collect enough gear and start raiding then its time to reforge.

Tol barad faction (baradins wardens) has a nice epic trinket called "stump of time" that provides +321 hit (plus a spell power proc) ...try to aim for that to have a boost in your hit rating early on.

Keep in mind that at lvl 85 1% SPELL HIT = 102,446 HIT rating...

So for level 87 heroic dungeon bosses you need 6*102=614,676 hit rating and for raid bosses 17*102= 1741,582 hit rating

Hope i helped.

EDIT: Saw your armory you have 11,61% hit at level 85 ...which is more than enough for heroic dungeons....
    Last edited by mmoc27d8c19e09; 2010-12-11 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Added info/more accurate hit rating numbers

I'd also add that, not only is hit theorycrafted to be the most important stat, it's designed to be that way. I think GC said last week that they intend for it to be as important as it is.

Being a little late to the party, and pretty much repeating what most people said, yes hit is the most important stat until the cap. Simply because it ensures that all dmg that can be done, is done. So missed potential critical hits etc.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes. You can't hit.. you lose damage if any at all.

~Kretic